Ex-Players You Would Like to See at the Club

JM7

With Drogba presumably moving into a more coaching role, it got me thinking about players returning to work in other capacities.

What former players would you like to see back at the club and WHY?

Personally I would love to see Ballack back at the club in a coaching role. Winning mentality, fantastic work ethic and very experienced.

Obviously Lamps and JT should be back when they retire.

Always thought Hiddink would make an excellent director as well.

You cant just shoe horn people into positions at the club just because there ex players. Directors of football don't work just look at Spurs it always undermines the manager. In Hiddink's case yes he did a good job for the time he was here. But he said in no uncertain terms that he didn't want the job full time. So to give him a job based on a six month stay he had at the club is a little baseless. Also look at Tony Adams he thinks he should be given a job at Arsenal just because he was a great player for them. But to do what? He was a terrible manager and from what i heard when he was at Wycombe acted the total Billy Big Bollocks especially to the young players.

He might not be an ex- player, but since people mentioned Hiddink, I say: Andre Villas Boas. Should return as the head scout. Was excellent in that department. Although it might be seen as a step down to his career.

That would be amusing in the extreme (if he were to return as a scout). You can find one of his reports here.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/8591763/How-Andre-Villas-Boas-scouting-reports-helped-Chelsea-to-a-3-0-win-over-Newcastle-in-November-2005.html

Wasn't Shevchenko going to be returning as striking coach at one point too?

You cant just shoe horn people into positions at the club just because there ex players. Directors of football don't work just look at Spurs it always undermines the manager. In Hiddink's case yes he did a good job for the time he was here. But he said in no uncertain terms that he didn't want the job full time. So to give him a job based on a six month stay he had at the club is a little baseless. Also look at Tony Adams he thinks he should be given a job at Arsenal just because he was a great player for them. But to do what? He was a terrible manager and from what i heard when he was at Wycombe acted the total Billy Big Bollocks especially to the young players.

Yeah you're right. I think ex-players don't live in the real world where they think their status is enough to demand any job.

The interesting part of the thread is WHY they should be back at Chelsea. The people mentioned - Ballack, Lampard, JT, Wise have all shown themselves to be intelligent and demonstrate excellent leadership skills. If you listen to the way Ballack talks when he's on Sky Sports is very impressive.

I'd like to see desailly back coaching at chelsea. He could teach the kids a few things considering he was solid in midfield and defence. He's very passionate about us you can tell by the way he speaks

Is he still involved in football at all? 

I only see him on TV from time to time... I think he is a pundit on French TV a fair bit. 

Drogba is better suited as a UN ambassador than Chelsea manager/coach.

He's so transcendent and is probably the most commonly loved sports star in sub-saharan Africa.

The man is powerful enough to end a civil war. It would be a waste of talent if he spent the next five years teaching Patrick Bamford to hold the ball up.

Spurs have had a few over the years.

The thing is players earn a hell of a lot of money now days so they dont have to carry on working once they hang up their boots.

I dont think you will see many top players become managers anymore. They dont need the stress and the moving around.

I think it will be the players that never really made it to the top level and others that never really played that will take over. Im sure you will get one or two top players become manager because of the love of the game but I think we will see it less and less.

They always say that the best managers are the average players. I guess the good players with the most ability never have to work that hard to be successful.

That Guardiola chap wasn't too bad at kicking the old pig skin around. 

Nor was that fellow who always raises his eyebrow all the time... Carlo something. 

Archived