Theo Walcott

ForeverCarefree

Apparently having a contract dispute with Arsenal at present.

Wenger saying the club have offered him a new deal, Walcott saying they haven't.

And as always when a players new contract is being discussed the inevitable links to other clubs begins.

Walcott has been linked with a possible move to Chelsea in the summer should his contract talks break down.

So what do Shed Enders think? The right wing is a position of much debate in our team with Willian dividing opinion and there being question marks over Cuadrado, albeit with limited playing time.

Walcott's numbers are no doubt impressive, he's contributing a goal or assist for Arsenal every two games roughly but there are doubts over his fitness. Homegrown obviously and might not cost too much above around £25m in my opinion.

I wouldn't say no to signing him myself but do you all think?

Someone made a good point yesterday with the amount of football he has played in the past 30 months, his injury’s have been a huge concern and at 26 how much have they taken out of him and how long has he got left?

We saw what happened with Torres and how an injury took away his previous form and it never came back after that he too was 26/27 at that time.

I like Walcott and he could be a big player as he’s miles better than Willian and by the few spoaradic appearances Cuadrado too (Although you need more game time than he has had to actually be able to tell how good or bad he is).

He’d cost quite a fee I’d imagine and his wage demands will no doubt be at the top end of what we give out.

I’m on the fence with this one, it has it’s positives and also negatives. It’s probably a gamble worth taking if we can get him for under £25 million. We need the home grown quota beefed up and he is good enough to take a spot in the starting 11 plus can play as a striker if need be.

£25 million.

Add that to the £26 million we spent on Cuadrado and the £25 we spent on Willian and that would be £76 million spent on three 26 year old right-wingers. The very definition of quantity over quality.

I'm not opposed to it, but I'd personally take the transfer dealings out of Jose's hands for the time being.

Yeah if we did buy him we would have to sell either Willian or Cuadrado really. Can't see us moving Cuadrado on and Willian is clearly a Jose favourite.

Can't have 3 players on big wages fighting for the one place.

You could I suppose at a push move Willian central but is he any better there? I'm not convinced.

I know what's done is done with regards to willian and cuadrado, but we could have saved that money and walcott would have been ideal for that right side, or even behind costa. He would certainly provide a lot more to our attack than willian does right now. 

Hmm this is an interesting one, some real positives but a lot of drawbacks (lazily hashed together):

Positives

- Extremely pacey

- Very good goalscoring record

- Direct

- Seems to have improved his game over time (unlike many other English wingers)

- Homegrown

Negatives

- Questionable/poor decision-making

- Frightening injury record

- Abundance of cover in his position

- Pricetag

- Questionable defensive contribution (might not be an issue considering that is a key strength of Willian)

- Allegedly wants to play up front

- Likely wants a starting spot

It was disappointing watching the England game last night without any Chelsea representation, I reckon our medical team will do wonders with Walcott and help him overcome his consistent injury problems.

He offers Chelsea versatility because if we have walcott we can offer a youth striker an opportunity to come into the senior squad rather than splashing cash for a new third striker behind Costa & Remy. He can operate on the right but when Costa is out could be cover for Remy as the 2nd striker.

Yeah if we did buy him we would have to sell either Willian or Cuadrado really. Can't see us moving Cuadrado on and Willian is clearly a Jose favourite.

Can't have 3 players on big wages fighting for the one place.

You could I suppose at a push move Willian central but is he any better there? I'm not convinced.

My guess is Oscar is the one whose place in the squad would be most at threat due to only really being able to play central.

Oscar goes and Willian plays central. Walcott plays on the right and Cuadrado provides cover.

Though personally I don't want that to happen as I don't think Willian is any good in the middle.

We are having problems in the right, that's obvious, but to keep bringing in worse players than we have/had is not a winning ticket, selling KDB for 18 and buying Walcott for 25 would be a real face palm of a deal..I want to point out that although fans if other clubs say we ruin players and I disagree, I will say this: it's easy to underwhelm at Chelsea, high pressure, even star attackers expected to defend, very few players unlike hazard have positional freedom, at times we almost try and put the square into the circle hole, our system and style comes first players adapt to it not vice versa, and it's not an easy system to slot into, some teams like a player then tinker the system to accommodate, we don't we buy a player who will fit a job we need doing, they tend not to and we sell them....I do t disagree with the philosophy but that's why finding the right players can be hard

Archived