Five Chelsea games you would love to have attended.

erskblue

On ?17?/?11?/?2017 at 23:44, bluehaze said:

Went to the Orient and QPR games and the Sheffield Wed replay. Went to the midweek Orient games the following years think you've got the year wrong the 7-3 was 79. We beat QPR in 82 as well another early kick off we took over the ground as usual.

One of those midweek Orient games a load of black groundstaff were raking the pitch at half time. The song went up' They're planting coconuts, they're planting coconuts....'

What year was the QPR Boxing Day game with protest grafitti on the plastic pitch?

Edited by Ewell CFC

I`m going for games that I could have gone to with my mates but didn`t ( gutted )

83/84 Man City away 2-0 on the Friday night , as usual amazing support - watched it live on the box .

83/84 Grimsby away 1-0 , went to 32-33 games that season but missed these two blinders.

98 Real Betis CWC  away 2-1 , a lot of my mates went and had a top jolly up .

2004 Arsenal away 2-1 Champions League .

2005 Bolton away 2-0 - 1st league title in my lifetime .

Graffiti was 1981 .

On 18/11/2017 at 21:56, Peckham Blue said:

There's probably loads like cup finals but I'd love to have been at the Cardiff away 3-3 match in '84. 

That day was brilliant! Great come back and saw a lot Chelsea fans taking liberties which the locals didn’t like!!!

3 hours ago, Ewell CFC said:

One of those midweek Orient games a load of black groundstaff were raking the pitch at half time. The song went up' They're planting coconuts, they're planting coconuts....'

What year was the QPR Boxing Day game with protest grafitti on the plastic pitch?

1979.  it’s on YouTube, the game that’s in my 5 i wish I’d been to!!

Edited by Richard P
Wrong year

I'm not sure how many years we played QPR on the spin on Boxing Day, but was in the School End terrace for each of them and it was always ramjammed.

Edit- just checked, 82 and 84

One year John Burridge came out for his warm up and gave us two handed w.....r signs. Gary Waddock used to come in for a lot of stick for some reason. One occasion which might be the one on YouTube, the end was so packed when we scored it looks like we're not celebrating too much- truth is it was a struggle to get your arms in the air.

Speedie had a blinder one year, leading Venables I remember saying he was one of the finest timers of a header he'd ever seen.

In 2003 I was involved in the rebuilding of a special needs school behind the School End. Fulham at the time were ground sharing with QPR, and when they played us half a dozen of us attempted to watch the game from the scaffolding- beers in hand, extra long roll ups etc.

We could see roughly half the pitch through those letterbox shaped penetrations in the cladding at the back of the stand. Wasn't great so gave up and went to a pub on the Uxbridge Road at half time, but fun looking back

Edited by Ewell CFC

All rather early 80's heavy, but if you take out any of our victorious finals, and in no order, I would go for:

1. Arsenal 1984. On holiday in Torquay as a 9 year old at the time. Would have loved to have seen so many Chelsea in the ground that day. No where's my TARDIS?

2. Fulham 1985. Milk Cup replay. My old man went and always said it was a goalkeeping masterclass by Eddie Niedzwiecki. Saved a  penalty too.

3. Brighton 1983. Again for the massive turn out.

4. Bolton 1983. Could have been so different without Flasher. Easily in the top 5 most important games in our history.

5. Newcastle 1983. Not just for spanking Keegan's lot, but for the legendary box-to-box run from Wee Pat. One of those things you'll only ever hear about....

On 11/21/2017 at 08:14, Ewell CFC said:

I'm not sure how many years we played QPR on the spin on Boxing Day, but was in the School End terrace for each of them and it was always ramjammed.

Edit- just checked, 82 and 84

One year John Burridge came out for his warm up and gave us two handed w.....r signs. Gary Waddock used to come in for a lot of stick for some reason. One occasion which might be the one on YouTube, the end was so packed when we scored it looks like we're not celebrating too much- truth is it was a struggle to get your arms in the air.

Speedie had a blinder one year, leading Venables I remember saying he was one of the finest timers of a header he'd ever seen.

In 2003 I was involved in the rebuilding of a special needs school behind the School End. Fulham at the time were ground sharing with QPR, and when they played us half a dozen of us attempted to watch the game from the scaffolding- beers in hand, extra long roll ups etc.

We could see roughly half the pitch through those letterbox shaped penetrations in the cladding at the back of the stand. Wasn't great so gave up and went to a pub on the Uxbridge Road at half time, but fun looking back

He was incredible in the air, despite being about 5 foot 6. Freakishly good.

We were awesome aerially that year, with Dixon, Speedie, McLaughlin and Colin Lee all exceptional headers of the ball.

EDIT: In the current side, Morata is superb in the air, but so are Cahill, Alonso and Rudiger. Luiz is good, too, but Alonso is the one who's really impressed me. He hardly ever loses an aerial duel.

Edited by Backbiter

On 23/11/2017 at 21:53, Ewan Hoozarmi said:

All rather early 80's heavy, but if you take out any of our victorious finals, and in no order, I would go for:

1. Arsenal 1984. On holiday in Torquay as a 9 year old at the time. Would have loved to have seen so many Chelsea in the ground that day. No where's my TARDIS?

2. Fulham 1985. Milk Cup replay. My old man went and always said it was a goalkeeping masterclass by Eddie Niedzwiecki. Saved a  penalty too.

4. Bolton 1983. Could have been so different without Flasher. Easily in the top 5 most important games in our history.

5. Newcastle 1983. Not just for spanking Keegan's lot, but for the legendary box-to-box run from Wee Pat. One of those things you'll only ever hear about....

Your post makes me feel grateful as I was at all 5 of your choices! I can say that I still have memories of all the things you list, they really were great times.

On 11/23/2017 at 21:53, Ewan Hoozarmi said:

Not at two and four.

12 minutes ago, Richard P said:

Your post makes me feel grateful as I was at all 5 of your choices! I can say that I still have memories of all the things you list, they really were great times.

Ha! I am not worthy!

Being only a kid at the time, all those games remind me I wish I could have been there. Perhaps that's just old age nostalgia? Who knows!

Still, I did manage to go to the 5-0 v Leeds in 1984. Probably the game I'm most proud to say I was at.

2 hours ago, Ewan Hoozarmi said:

Ha! I am not worthy!

Being only a kid at the time, all those games remind me I wish I could have been there. Perhaps that's just old age nostalgia? Who knows!

Still, I did manage to go to the 5-0 v Leeds in 1984. Probably the game I'm most proud to say I was at.

I was a month short of my 15th birthday for the Bolton game. Yet the Fulham replay I went straight from work! All in a couple of years. Eddie was fantastic that night. Just one of those games what ever he did he saved it. The packed terrace and the seats at the side where I was responded with Eddie Eddie Eddie!!

1 hour ago, erskblue said:

It's been really good reading the games you have wished you could have attended.

The Arsenal away game in Aug 84 seems very popular.

Doug the Thugs debut. On holiday in Ibiza that summer we got talking to some Aberdeen fans, who really rated Rougvie as a player, so we were looking forward to seeing him.

A big black and white mob of gooners were waiting outside Highbury and Islington early on- didn't see any trouble all day but didn't hang around afterwards.

Bates had got into a feud with a journalist, who predicted major trouble for this fixture and criticised the FA for having it as a seasons opener. Might have been Harry Harris from the Mirror. Bates barred him from the Bridge all the same .

A couple of mates who were Arsenal in the North Bank reckon it was the best away following they'd seen there with the possible exception of Celtic in a friendly.

I did have a Chelsea mate that went in the North Bank as part of a firm- if you were looking from the Clock End they were on the left hand side of the North Bank.

Cant remember what exactly happened to that lot- if they got taken out by OB they didn't walk down the side of the pitch.- I'll have to ask next time I see him

4 hours ago, erskblue said:

It's been really good reading the games you have wished you could have attended.

The Arsenal away game in Aug 84 seems very popular.

My top 5 I wish I attended is very 83/84 heavy, although this is the season I started going more often, in no particular order: Leeds at home 5-0 83/84, Brighton away 83/84, Man city away 83/84, Arsenal away 84/85, Munich 2012, prob some I missed, now I got to start thinking of the most memorable I've attended!

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/11/2017 at 14:35, fillerywhereru said:

Just thought of another I missed that i wish I hadnt Fulham 3 Chelsea 5 83/84 great game

Yes forgot that one, funny but scrolling through this topic again, it isn't just me but 83/84 really was a memorable season for us oldies, I wonder if the youngsters will look back on one particular season like we do with 83/84, I'm not so sure, as all this success in the last 15 years might all merge into one. We'll always remember "Jonny Neal's blue and white army"

18 hours ago, chi blue said:

Yes forgot that one, funny but scrolling through this topic again, it isn't just me but 83/84 really was a memorable season for us oldies, I wonder if the youngsters will look back on one particular season like we do with 83/84, I'm not so sure, as all this success in the last 15 years might all merge into one. We'll always remember "Jonny Neal's blue and white army"

Three team mates from back then have spent time in Her Majesty's B and B's.

Kerry Dixon, Micky Thomas and Canners.

Bit of a coincidence when you think about it. Graham Rix also went in. Jody Morris, Frank Sinclair and Dennis Wise managed to narrowly escape. Have any other Chelsea players ended up in the big house?

On ?07?/?12?/?2017 at 20:56, chi blue said:

Agreed about 1983/84. It is so special for the 'oldies' (born 67) amongst us. We had been starved of success for what seemed ages and had been so close to relegation to Division 3 the previous season. John Neal rebuilt during the summer of 1983 and we beat Derby at the Bridge in late Aug 83 and we took off. It gave us the 'walk tall' factor on a Monday morning.

1 hour ago, erskblue said:

Agreed about 1983/84. It is so special for the 'oldies' (born 67) amongst us. We had been starved of success for what seemed ages and had been so close to relegation to Division 3 the previous season. John Neal rebuilt during the summer of 1983 and we beat Derby at the Bridge in late Aug 83 and we took off. It gave us the 'walk tall' factor on a Monday morning.

Yes, 83/84 seemed at last you could talk at school about football without armchair utd, Liverpool fans etc, taking piss, prior to that it seemed the only Chelsea excitement I got in the late 70's was buying those packets of cards with a piece of chewing gum in, and finding our players in there, superstars like David Hay or Duncan Mkensie!!!, one time though it felt like I got willy Wonka's golden ticket, inside my packet was Peter Borota!!!, If it wasn't those cards it was the figurine pannni sticker books, first one I had was Argentina 78 world cup.

83/84 was great on and off the field. The results and performances were great and without mobiles, internet/social media, paying on the day at the turnstiles you never knew who was going but we turned up in numbers. Many more than advertised as gates were opened at Brighton, Pompey and Grimsby to name three from memory. One reason why tickets for terracing came in to stop capacity problems.

Also if you offered a turnstile operator a tenner,  without a ticket for an “all ticket” game they would let you in. I’m coming up fifty and this will always be one of my favourite seasons.