1970s

Londongirl

People come and go Londongirl.

There is thread called, When was our mob at it's peak? - it is on the second page of this thread and bloggers posting stories on off the pitch activities going back to the 70s. Brutal with some funny moments. Or you have the threads on individual players like Ray Wilkins. That was more recent due to his untimely death.

Over my few years here I've seen many of the older ones no longer posting and suspect they are either ill or have passed on.

Between the ages of when I was 9 to  19 ( 75 to 84), we were only in the top tier for 2 years.

When your a kid the amount of coverage your club got in Shoot, Match Weekly, MOTD, etc was a big deal, and the sh*ttier we got the less attention we received.

It’s easy to get misty eyed looking back-reckon it was a much better laugh in the old days , but don’t miss standing in the pissing rain and watching some of the crap football that got served up.

1 hour ago, Ewell CFC said:

Between the ages of when I was 9 to  19 ( 75 to 84), we were only in the top tier for 2 years.

When your a kid the amount of coverage your club got in Shoot, Match Weekly, MOTD, etc was a big deal, and the sh*ttier we got the less attention we received.

It’s easy to get misty eyed looking back-reckon it was a much better laugh in the old days , but don’t miss standing in the pissing rain and watching some of the crap football that got served up.

Yes don't miss us in the 70's, but miss 1983 through to 1991

My first game was Christmas 75 so i started on a low 2nd division football and the remnants of the great 70s cup team. But the following season I got to see Eddie Mcreadies young guns get us back up in front of huge crowds followed by the struggle of staying and failing to stay in the top flight. Arsenal away 79 2-5 felt like a low with them singing going down at us in truth we were down well before. Ossies last hurrah, I saw his second home debut in a shocker V bristol city. It was probably the last few seasons of the heyday of the shed 76-84. Yep the football was grim 79-83 but sometimes it still felt like an occasion going to watch Chelsea depending on the oppo or if it was a nice FA Cup plum tie.

6 minutes ago, fillerywhereru said:

My first game was Christmas 75 so i started on a low 2nd division football and the remnants of the great 70s cup team. But the following season I got to see Eddie Mcreadies young guns get us back up in front of huge crowds followed by the struggle of staying and failing to stay in the top flight. Arsenal away 79 2-5 felt like a low with them singing going down at us in truth we were down well before. Ossies last hurrah, I saw his second home debut in a shocker V bristol city. It was probably the last few seasons of the heyday of the shed 76-84. Yep the football was grim 79-83 but sometimes it still felt like an occasion going to watch Chelsea depending on the oppo or if it was a nice FA Cup plum tie.

Nice to see some old codgers still about :wink:

3 hours ago, fillerywhereru said:

Ha ha,, there's life in this old codger yet..

Me as well ( put it down to Monkey Glands & Ginseng! ).
My first away game was at West Ham in April 1969 ( my Dad took me ), & 1st home game ( first time going with 'the lads' ), midweek v Man Utd in Aug 71.
Personally only difference between then & now, is back then I looked forward to the game all week. Now with ridiculous KO times, & regular train maintenance meaning bus travel between some stations, it takes me a week to get over a game!.

Yes folks for me started coming 77/78 didn’t think we would only win 3 games at home the following season and go down with 22 points!! (2pts for a win) Like some, even though had a season ticket since 1988 and seen great things in the Abramovich era, 1983/84 and couple years after is right up there for me personally.

As a young Chelsea supporter up in Scotland in the mid to late 1970s.

It was great when Ray Wilkins started writing in Shoot magazine in Sept 1977. That gave me more Chelsea info.

One of my Uncle's visited London on business regularly back then and I'd receive gifts of match programmes and even press cuttings from the London papers of Chelsea info.

Radio 2 was 'a must listen' for Sport on 2 on a Saturday afternoon and Wednesday night. Also the highlights were rare and often it was only the goals we got on the Scottish football programmes.

On 26/10/2018 at 21:04, The Leigh Limpet said:

Personally only difference between then & now, is back then I looked forward to the game all week. Now with ridiculous KO times, & regular train maintenance meaning bus travel between some stations, it takes me a week to get over a game!.

For me these days it's just as much about the social side, Always want to get to the game of course but that's just the cherry on top

I remember reading some posts about players attending the club discos in the new East Stand in the 1970's. Obviously that would be unheard of these days, but I would guess it was fairly unusual even back then. Can't remember if the topic had it's own thread or the posts were mixed in among other things, I seem to recall that somebody's "unestablished" girlfriend went off with a player. :biggrin:

Any of the old farts on here remember those discos?

• 7 months later...
On 26/10/2018 at 20:33, Ewell CFC said:

I regard the mid 70s to early 80s as being character building years for supporters and it made us resilient.

At least our supporters have gone through the tough times to appreciate the highs the club has experienced over the last two decades.

16 hours ago, Jezz said:

I regard the mid 70s to early 80s as being character building years for supporters and it made us resilient.

At least our supporters have gone through the tough times to appreciate the highs the club has experienced over the last two decades.

In a nutshell mate.

On ?06?/?06?/?2019 at 12:55, Jezz said:

Take a look at some of the posters on the Sarri in or out thread. They don't know they're born.

I have many memories of the 70's and attended my first game at Stamford Bridge the first day of the 70/71 season. Hutchinson scored two goals against Derby and we won. I was 9 years old and hooked. We had a black and white TV at home so I was blown away with how green the pitch was.

The best game I remember seeing that year was an evening match against Bruges which we won I think after extra time. Could have been 4-0 or something. It was a lovely warm evening and the crowd were fantastic.

Archived