The clothing we wore to the football back then.

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

On 17/05/2020 at 17:09, Stretford Ender said:

I always associate plimsolls with those black efforts with the elastic bit on top we had to wear for PE.

We called them Daps in the west country - probably because the Dunlop Athletic Plimsolls factory was based in Bristol. 

9 hours ago, chi blue said:

Lad on the left in blue V neck, looks a bit like Gordon Sinclair off Gregory's girl?

43 Best Casulas, Hooligans, and Terracewear images | Football ...Film Forum · Bill Forsyth's GREGORY'S GIRL

So he does, never even noticed !:smile:                                                                                   Gordon Sinc;lair and  Dee Hepburn,

Edited by erskblue

9 hours ago, In the Net said:

We called them Daps in the west country - probably because the Dunlop Athletic Plimsolls factory was based in Bristol. 

Pumps we called them. People used to tie the laces together and drape them on their shoulders.

In about 75 we played an interschool 5-Aside tournament on a boarded over swimming pool. After the first game our teacher noticed that kids with plimsolls were falling over less than those with trainers- cue some mothers going home to pick up old footwear that had been discarded for Winfield Trainers or for fortunate children Adidas Kick

2 hours ago, Ewell CFC said:

Pumps we called them. People used to tie the laces together and drape them on their shoulders.

In about 75 we played an interschool 5-Aside tournament on a boarded over swimming pool. After the first game our teacher noticed that kids with plimsolls were falling over less than those with trainers- cue some mothers going home to pick up old footwear that had been discarded for Winfield Trainers or for fortunate children Adidas Kick

Times we see professional footballers slipping over and it looks as if they got wrong boots on, just imagining their mums rushing home and getting different boots for them. 

1 hour ago, chi blue said:

Times we see professional footballers slipping over and it looks as if they got wrong boots on, just imagining their mums rushing home and getting different boots for them. 

My Mum sometimes watched me play for the school team up until I went to Secondary and my old Man was constant ferrying me around for Saturday and Sunday Youth Football.

Looking back though about half of kids parents had no interest and never saw their kids play even once.

Generation thing maybe or does that still happen now?

Plimsolls you couldn't play football in them I remember my mum going mental cause I went through two pairs in a week once. I do remember Dunlop Green Flash you could also get them with navy blue-black instead of the green I've racked my brains I don't think I had a pair although my sister did.

1 hour ago, Ewell CFC said:

My Mum sometimes watched me play for the school team up until I went to Secondary and my old Man was constant ferrying me around for Saturday and Sunday Youth Football.

Looking back though about half of kids parents had no interest and never saw their kids play even once.

I use to be manager of my younger sons team for years between about 2003-2009 and it use to be so confusing as over half the team came from divorced families, where  dad would turn up one week, following week mum would turn up with new partner, next week dad with his new partner, following week mum  would arrive with another new fella, I was getting so confused I didn't know who was mum, who was dad by the end. The modern generation.

7 hours ago, Ewell CFC said:

Vintage Adidas and Puma Blog: February 201744 Best Adidas. images | Adidas, Adidas sneakers, Sneakers

Memories, adidas 'kick trainers !

Acceptable to my old dear, thankfully.

I got the 'Don't ruin them as money doesn't grow on trees.' lecture:sign0195:    When she bought me them.

Edited by erskblue

5 hours ago, erskblue said:

Vintage Adidas and Puma Blog: February 201744 Best Adidas. images | Adidas, Adidas sneakers, Sneakers

I got the 'Don't ruin them as money doesn't grow on trees.' lecture:sign0195:    When she bought me them.

“Don’t put them on without undoing them you’ll break the backs of the heels down and you won’t get another pair!!”

I remember this conversation from over 40 years ago!!

17 hours ago, erskblue said:

I don’t remember wearing anything but kicks from about 11 to 16, and I think they were ordered from a Freemans or Janet Fraser catalogue- they would have got bashed about because we played football every break on a tarmac surface.

Adidas Ringo was an upgrade; don’t remember owning a pair but think I had some Roms maybe in the 5th form. Left school in 82 and straight into Stan Smiths probably.

When I started secondary my best mate wore Adidas Premier football boots with a dash of green piping on the heel. They were pretty rare back then, but if you google them there’s zipppo on the internet- it’s as though they never existed.

In about 81 a few schoolmates went on a tour with their Youth Team to Holland, and came home with some real eyecatchers- Puma boots with orange sash, etc

Here's my trainer history as well as I can recall it. Gola Harrier can even remember how much they cost £6.60 unbelievably in a one horse town in Ireland got my uncle to buy them when he was pissed. Bit vague during school I remember a pair of black Mitre trainers and a pair that were popular for a while called Tunis or something. A pair of Adidas Hawaii in 81 I bought a pair a few years ago at Adidas's Wembley Outlet store for £40 shouldn't have worn them you can a £100 for them on Ebay.

After leaving school Diadora Borg from a gaff in High Street Ken Ewell know's the name of it then a pair of I think they were Stan Smith's with the straps after 83 I can't really remember until 10 -15 years ago. I don't think trainers were the main focus of being a casual it was more the jackets, jumpers, polos etc I used to wear desert boots to Chelsea quite a lot 82-83.

On 19/05/2020 at 07:46, Ewell CFC said:

Must be a generational thing. I can't remember my parents coming to watch any of the games I played in. The odd scout would turn up and a couple of the older lads went for trials at Bury and Oldham.

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 12:46, Ewell CFC said:

Can't ever remember my mum coming to watch me play football.

To be honest she had very rarely gone to watch my dad play when he played Junior (Non League) or Representative Fixtures

I think she only went when it was the Cup Finals he played in. Glory Hunter !

My old man would come along to watch me when I played on a Saturday morning.

When my sons played both to U18 level.  I watched them most weeks.

23 hours ago, Richard P said:

“Don’t put them on without undoing them you’ll break the backs of the heels down and you won’t get another pair!!”

I remember this conversation from over 40 years ago!!

I had that conversation with my two daughters earlier today!

I was lucky as from the age of 9 my Mum worked in a sports shop. Started with Gola trainers with green stripes.
Then had Adidas kick for two or three years. Had some Puma trainers in secondary school.  

Then had Navy Blue Adidas suede shoes with white stripes but can’t think of the name. Also had White Puma Garralitus.

Will always be grateful that I had two pairs of Puma S P A King boots during secondary school.

29 minutes ago, Richard P said:

I was lucky as from the age of 9 my Mum worked in a sports shop. Started with Gola trainers with green stripes.
Then had Adidas kick for two or three years. Had some Puma trainers in secondary school.  

Then had Navy Blue Adidas suede shoes with white stripes but can’t think of the name. Also had White Puma Garralitus.

Will always be grateful that I had two pairs of Puma S P A King boots during secondary school.

I'd say you were lucky back then and remember Gola, I'm sure my younger brother had Gola too as he was more aware of fashions at that time.

21 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

I'd say you were lucky back then and remember Gola, I'm sure my younger brother had Gola too as he was more aware of fashions at that time.

I had Timpson football boots with rubber studs. Some lads had boots with interchangeable studs but I made do with what I was given. It didn't matter anyway as I was never much good.

2 minutes ago, Stretford Ender said:

I had Timpson football boots with rubber studs. Some lads had boots with interchangeable studs but I made do with what I was given. It didn't matter anyway as I was never much good.

I think my first were with rubber studs, great until it hammered down.

13 hours ago, Stretford Ender said:

Do linesman check the studs of incoming subs anymore? Haven’t noticed it in a good while so guess it’s now done in the changing rooms.

I remember nylon screw ins used to get sharp round the edges when you walked on concrete. Every once in a while you’d change your studs and the nylon would get separated and you’d just have the metal thread- used to play with a nutter who loved a tackle who was known as the flying mallet.

The joke was he used to sharpen his studs before a game.

I used to sometimes pick him up for a Sunday Football. Used to have to ring the doorbell and stand in the front garden so he could tell who it was- he had a few enemy’s....

Great picture Ersk ,i wonder what’s going on ? The bloke with the parka looks like he has a proverbial bloody nose,so i guess the young terraway on the floor whacked him 

the copper is asking parka man if he can also give the young lout a gentle kick to the ribs

the women behind parka man ,judging by her shoes is off to bingo and the woman behind the copper is off to the shops to exchange the acrylic high neck  jumper that didn’t fit 

old skool football cant be beaten

2 hours ago, erskblue said:

I remember Parkas being worn  at the football but not Donkey Jackets.

Donkey jackets were quite trendy for a while pre casual especially among older fans. Who did you support in Scotland Ersk because with the weather I'm surprised everyone wasn't wearing them !