Chelsea v Brentford (PL) Sat 28th Oct 23 12:30 GMT

Mod
Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

6 minutes ago, The Rising Sun said:

Shearer was able to freeze the play and move Jackson around into better more dangerous positions with no defenders near him 

But that assumes that everyone else remains static while Jackson Finds space ! If only 😂

He was basically doing the equivalent of the slo-mo VAR to make a challenge look way worse than it was.

Jackson is very young and inevitably raw in some areas. Ideally he wouldn't be starting every game given his inexperience but we have little choice given the injuries. I still a lot of potential in him long term. Shearer wasn't scoring that many for Southampton in his first few seasons there. He managed about 1 in 4 in his last season there before moving to Blackburn.

1 hour ago, Sconnie Blue said:

No way. Haaland is instinctively a better finisher than Broja and Jackson and gets into better positions than Broja and Jackson. Look at Silva's header from the corner in the dying minutes. Not one attack crashed the far post. Haaland would've 100% been there for example. 

Oh he is, a much better finisher than either of them.

So is Lukaku, yet look how that turned out.

5 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Oh he is, a much better finisher than either of them.

So is Lukaku, yet look how that turned out.

Aside Tuchel's football being no where near complimentary to Lukaku, his ego and donkey first touch holds him back against most progressive systems. 

4 minutes ago, Sconnie Blue said:

Aside Tuchel's football being no where near complimentary to Lukaku, his ego and donkey first touch holds him back against most progressive systems. 

When TT said we didn't need to alter the way we play to get the best out of Lukaku,  it was never going to work. Btw Haaland' s first touch isn't up to much, but his first touch is usually a goal !

1 hour ago, Sconnie Blue said:

Rising Sun is right. Haaland does not have a great first touch, and a huge ego to boot. 

Put Lukaku in Cities team and he scores a load of goals too. Not as many as Haaland, as he is nowhere near Haaland levels, but still enough to win the golden boot.

9 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Interestingly Dermot Gallagher on ref watch, normally a backer of the refs call in almost every case, felt we should have had a pen for the Sterling challange, calling the challange a "stupid thing to do".

For me I thought it was just part of our game, physical challanges in the box, but I guess in Europe that is a pen.

I thought it was a penalty and when you compare it to the penalty that city had against united for a pull in the box the case is even clearer. VAR standards for physical challenges are still not sufficiently codified, but there is a bunch of gaming involved. To me holding in the box is one area where more penalties could be given. Only about 1% or 2% of corners result in goals so that despite how hard you work to get a corner the reward is small. Stricter enforcement would mean more goals.

7 hours ago, forbzy said:

He was basically doing the equivalent of the slo-mo VAR to make a challenge look way worse than it was.

Jackson is very young and inevitably raw in some areas. Ideally he wouldn't be starting every game given his inexperience but we have little choice given the injuries. I still a lot of potential in him long term. Shearer wasn't scoring that many for Southampton in his first few seasons there. He managed about 1 in 4 in his last season there before moving to Blackburn.

Benzema had one  terrible season at Real Madrid, Jackson hasn't been up to it so far, but he is possibly better than he's so far shown.

7 hours ago, axman2526 said:

I read somewhere Jackson was mainly a winger thar turned striker at his last club when they needed someone to fill a void. Might explain his instincts being off.

Surely this isn't true. Surely not.

Having bought Sterling, Mudryk, Hutchinson, Madueke, Gabriel, Moreira, Palmer and missing out on Kudus and Olise are we saying the striker we bought was an actual fking winger as well. Who is doing our scouting and due diligence, Stanley fking Matthews?

13 hours ago, WhiteWall said:

Surely this isn't true. Surely not.

Having bought Sterling, Mudryk, Hutchinson, Madueke, Gabriel, Moreira, Palmer and missing out on Kudus and Olise are we saying the striker we bought was an actual fking winger as well. Who is doing our scouting and due diligence, Stanley fking Matthews?

Wasn't a winger, but he did play with another striker. 

If a fan like me can predict what is happening to Jackson right now after 1 game , surely poch knew about this way before. 

But once again it comes down squad building. The idea with Jackson was definitely to have Nkunku as his backup but Nkunku injury pretty much screwed everything. 

I am not even sure having Nkunku as backup is ideal but it is what it is. 

Jackson is more suited to be a defensive counter-attack player who needs a lot of space to move around. In the games Chelsea lost while pressing the opponent, he struggled with positioning in tight spaces. Actually, his talent is limited, not suitable for being a main player