England vs Slovenia (Friendly)

loz

Enagland are 1-0 up at half time through a very well taken penalty from Frank. However if that was a penalty than Jamie Carragher is a world class defender. Rooney clearly feels the spotlight has been on Eduardo too much this past fortnight as he has decided diving for a penalty is not a big enough story, he has mastered the art of committing a foul to win a penalty! Phenominally bad decision by the ref.

Very poor deision, and evven the commentators are saying that England are lucky. Shame it's just a friendly, or I think they may have retrospectively given Rooney a bit of a bashing. Lampard off for the 2nd half, which is good. ANd I seen Gerrard hoping about earlier, it bemuses me why there is such a love-in for him and Carragher when they both clearly don't want to play for England.

2-1 FT. Far from England at their best although that is probably understandable as players have half an eye on Wednesday night. Ashley Cole the best England player on the night by a country mile and Jermaine Defoe must surely be close to getting the nod for a starting spot against Croatia.

Wasn't it only yesterday Rooney was quoted in the papers as saying he'd never take a dive?

To be fair to the kid Rooney (and that's hard to do) he wasn't looking for a penalty, by his reaction he thought the call was against him. It was an obvious no call to most people. Was the ref English?

Why is Glen Johnson a defender?

England really have a dirth of good right-backs at the moment...

Come back Danny Mills, all is forgiven.

We do have a real dearth of right backs at the moment. Seeing Johnson playing as a regular internatinal right back is a frightening prospect with SOuth Africa so close. Micah Richards had the positon in his pocket not long ago and then fell apart however he must think he still has a chance every time he watches Johnson play.

We do have a real dearth of right backs at the moment. Seeing Johnson playing as a regular internatinal right back is a frightening prospect with SOuth Africa so close. Micah Richards had the positon in his pocket not long ago and then fell apart however he must think he still has a chance every time he watches Johnson play.

Michael Mancienne must feel he has a chance too

Sky on England's penalty:

Capello's men took the lead in the 31st minute when Lampard converted a penalty which had been softly awarded following a collision between Wayne Rooney and Bostjan Cesar.

The BBC:

Slovenia were furious at Swedish referee Jonas Eriksson's decision to award a penalty when Rooney went to ground as he wrestled for possession with Cesar. The Slovenia defender insisted he had been fouled, and it looked a highly-debatable decision.

The Mail:

There was no question of Rooney having dived, but he made a half-hearted penalty appeal and the Slovenia players were furious

Rooney, who only last week claimed to be an "honest player", fouls the defender, sits back and raises his arms to appeal. So tell me how is that any less cheating than a Starfish dive? In fact it's far more dishonest than Drogba's famous exaggerations, which are themselves exaggerated and deliberately misreported by the idiot media. The Rooney incident wasn't a collision, it wasn't a "tangle of legs", it was a deliberate foul followed by a deliberate and dishonest appeal for a penalty.

Oh and on Talksh*te just now:

I don't think Rooney tried to con the ref

Oh yes he did. I know it, you know it, and Wayne "I'm an honest player" knows it.

MOM? - any one of that flock of pigeons that were on the pitch throughout, they showed far more positional awareness than Starfish ever did :D

hes a massive liability in a rigid midfield isnt he, he causes his fellow midfielders so much trouble by just going wandering. thats why even his club coach wont play him there and has to give him a free roll behind the striker. the amount of times he popped up well away from his left wing was ridiculous. against a decent side ash cole would have been massively exposed and would have had to contend with 2 or 3 on his own.

Can't believe 68,000 (well nearly) forked out good beer money to watch that crap

guilty as cahrged

all though the only reason I was there is because the wife booked the tickets. I asked here to book tickets on line for Wednesdays game, but she ended up purchasing two tickets for Saturdays game.

It was a poor show from England, I know it was a friendly but some of the English players on show were simply awful.

Upson

Carrick

Barry

Lescott

If Barry and Carrick ever play in the same team again be prepared for total negative football.

Archived