Can't Bear To Watch

mickyg

So after Man U got a goal back last week, I couldn't even watch. I turned the TV off and went inot the garden. I just walked around a bit and imagined what was happening. I made a calculation of how much extra time there would be and was thinking about adding 4 or 5 minutes to that to be safe and then going back in. But, I couldn't live with that either - seemed like time had slowed down, but I went back and turned on one minute into extra time. And then I watched through to the end!!!

I recorded it, so later on came the relaxed and happy watching of the win. Great time to pick up on things I'd missed.

Anyway, the point is I'm 50 yeaars old and acting like a kid hiding behind the couch during a scary Dr. who episode.

Does this happen to you, or do have nerve enough to always sit through the whole game?

No Mickyg - you were right the first time - you can't bear to watch.

Sorry about my spelling - should be Can't Bare to Watch, I think. Can the moderator change?

And that's how I felt yesterday - I waited till the ned to come on the site to check what had happened - couldn;t even switch on the shoutbox! the END, I mean!

I always watch....but at times if someone walked in on me watching football at 3am in the morning, there's a chance I'll be in the fetal position, or pulling my hair out.

I love football.

I always watch it all but there are a lot of games where I find it impossible to get any enjoyment out of it until the final whistle goes. You spend all week waiting for the game and getting excited/nervous about it then as soon as we go 1 up you are desperate for the final whistle.

I can't count the times that I've barely been able to watch. I made myself busy elsewhere when the Moscow penalties were taken ;) In the shoutbox, they must be ready to shoot me, I keep posting "20 mins", "15 mins".... I'm just willing the time go faster. People think football supporters have a great time. I don't, it's a nightmare.

Somehow it's worse when you're watching tv, as you tend to get a wrong perspective: a shot on goal that is comfortably over may look like a very close call on tv. And I'm convinced time passes more quickly when you're in the stands. Very odd space-time continuum there.

I always find we tend to score when I leave the room for a piss or something. I was in the bogs when Lampard burst through to score the first at Bolton in the first championship winning season.

I'm sure I can guess what the resposes are likely to be.

How about you try drinking six litres of water, sleeping with a Dandylion and chewing a packet of Ex-lax on nights before our games ;)

How about you try drinking six litres of water, sleeping with a Dandylion and chewing a packet of Ex-lax on nights before our games :lol:

I've a better idea. I'll pm you my address and you can send round a few crates of lager the day before each match. :unsure:

It is not good for the ticker at the best of times.

My old man would leave the room and go for a walk during big chelsea games or utd ones if the stress gets too much.

My heart was pounding yesterday around the 85 minute mark until the end of that Utd game.

Definitely not good for you :)

The last time I walked out on a match due to nervousness was during the shoot out in Moscow. All know what happened there and since then I've made it a point to stick around till the end even if that means me having a mental breakdown by the time the final whistle is blown.

I remember being in the bar for the shoot out in the champions league against Liverpool.

When the events unfolded and Liverpool were about to take their winning penalty I left the building before whoever it was could hit it.

Walking up the road, I heard the dippers cheer, which confirmed out exit. I kept the head low and strolled home.

The champions league final was even worse, I was in a room with a few mates, 3 of whom are Utd men.

GRIM.

Penalties make me nervous even if it's between two teams that i don't even know, so you can imagine what our shootouts have done to me! For Moscow I was in a pub, and had to turn and face the wall for each penalty. Didn't make the pain any less though. Rubbish.

• 4 weeks later...
If you can guarentee it will work..pm away :D

It happened again!! I was in a hotel bar in Stratford upon Avon watching the Liverpool game (my boy and me the Chelsea in there,) went to get a pint where the bar had no view of the TV and then Drogba scores.

So after Man U got a goal back last week, I couldn't even watch. I turned the TV off and went inot the garden. I just walked around a bit and imagined what was happening. I made a calculation of how much extra time there would be and was thinking about adding 4 or 5 minutes to that to be safe and then going back in. But, I couldn't live with that either - seemed like time had slowed down, but I went back and turned on one minute into extra time. And then I watched through to the end!!!

I recorded it, so later on came the relaxed and happy watching of the win. Great time to pick up on things I'd missed.

Anyway, the point is I'm 50 yeaars old and acting like a kid hiding behind the couch during a scary Dr. who episode.

Does this happen to you, or do have nerve enough to always sit through the whole game?

with you all the way micky... bottle of scotch is the answer however...

I'm the same way, it's why I love sports but I get mad at myself sometime. My university (Xavier) was in the big college basketball tourney here in the states, double overtime game and I could barely watch any of it happen live because I was so goddamn nervous. Same things happen to me watching my college football team Nebraska, the Washington Redskins (to a lesser degree) and of course the biggest offender is Chelsea. I remember having to hop in the shower during the last 10 minutes of the Juventus 2nd leg last year I was such a wreck haha.

Archived