Olympic Stadium

25 BC
Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

See the announcement of the future of the Olympic Stadium has been delayed.

Late bid by Orient? ;-)

Well one things for sure, Tottenham moving there, demolishing then rebuilding their own stadium is wrong on so many levels. On the other hand the Athletics people are surely being unreasonable to expect the fans of a resident club to watch their football from great distances from the pitch. And for what? This so called 'legacy'. Listening to them they seem to be deluded in thinking that the OLympic Stadium can be maintained like some museum piece with a few athletics meetings to help pay the bills. It aint gonna happen. Athletics simply does not have a great spectator base and indeed struggles to fill 18,000 Crystal Palace on the few summer meetings staged. So like or not for them, this stadium IS going to need most likely a football club to take it over or it'll simply become a costly white elephant ala The Dome before it was converted. Of course promises have been made to retain a track and surely with modern technology a solution could be to re-profile the lower tiers and install movable seating similar to that of the Parc de France in Paris. Then everyone would be happy.

P.s. As this in Non-Chelsea I think you've put this in the wrong forum :)

Edited by Bovis Messroom

Long overdue topic, so nice job starting it. I am no big fan of West Ham, but if its between them and Tottenham common sense says they should get the stadium and that is that.

As Bovis says, the Spuddies plan is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Theyre going to piss off West Ham, piss off their own fans, piss off the Olympic committee and sporting heads in the country, pull a mini Wimbledon, and all for what? To save some money on construction costs when they are apparrently filth rich as is, and can buy players for fun. It would be one thing if they wanted to move there. But to demolish a brand new stadium, built with taxpayer money, that will become a symbol of the olympics, and relocate your club on top of it.....utterly embarrassing :rolleyes:

Is the delay in the announcement because Palace have thrown their hat into the ring?

Long overdue topic, so nice job starting it. I am no big fan of West Ham, but if its between them and Tottenham common sense says they should get the stadium and that is that.

As Bovis says, the Spuddies plan is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Theyre going to piss off West Ham, piss off their own fans, piss off the Olympic committee and sporting heads in the country, pull a mini Wimbledon, and all for what? To save some money on construction costs when they are apparrently filth rich as is, and can buy players for fun. It would be one thing if they wanted to move there. But to demolish a brand new stadium, built with taxpayer money, that will become a symbol of the olympics, and relocate your club on top of it.....utterly embarrassing :rolleyes:

Is the delay in the announcement because Palace have thrown their hat into the ring?

Haven't heard about the Palace involvement. I know Orient were jumping up and down about it being against Premiership rules (or something along those lines) but doubt that's the reason it's been delayed. Probably as simple as them not being able to agree a decision.

I agree with you about Totnum - seems totally inappropriate, from whichever way you look at it.

Can't see the Spammers fans liking it much either with a running track around the outside. I suppose they could have dog racing at half time or summat ;-)

Sky Sports Breaking News:

West Ham have been refused permission to relocate to the Olympic Stadium.

The Local Council said:

A fun fair once a year is okay but a Circus every two weeks would be taking the piss.

Can't see the Spammers fans liking it much either with a running track around the outside. I suppose they could have dog racing at half time or summat ;-)

I think there is already talk of an ICF-sponsored series of Caravan races throughout the season :)

• 2 weeks later...

more tedious sparrings between the two clubs today...is anyone else really bored with this?...can someone just give it to one of the loserville clubs and be done with it, so sparing the rest of us Brady and Levy talking so much sh*te about legacy etc when it's all about cash

Have to feel for Orient in all this. Either way they end up with a Premier League club on their doorstep. Apparently Barry Hearn is planning legal action if it goes through.

Edited by Englishman

Have to feel for Orient in all this. Either way they end up with a Premier League club on their doorstep. Apparently Barry Hearn is planning legal action if it goes through.

I read somewhere the FA themselves have a rule that prohibits a club moving to an area where a club already exists and this will be the basis of Hearns action.

An Olympic stadium in the Championship would be a complete waste (assuming they get relegated this season, as if they do, I can't see them coming back up for a while!). They'll never fill it. At least had Tottenham got it, they'd be able to fill out out a lot better than the Spam could.

Edited by Ruh Buh Juh

You know I think for the stadium it was the right choice, it'll be a legacy of the games, and the grounds will include cricket, football, and athletics. Surely a terrible thing for the West Ham fans who had a good thing in Upton Park IMO. But the real winner here was the London Olympic Stadium