Ancelotti delivers Chelsea bombshell:

amART

Carlo Ancelotti has dropped a bombshell at Chelsea - declaring he won't coach a team not in the Champions League.

Chelsea resumes its involvement in the competition on Tuesday with a last-16 tie against FC Copenhagen but, unless they win the final in May, they may not be involved next year given their struggles to secure a qualification place via the Premier League.

"We know the Premier League is now very tough for us but we want to play in the Champions League next year, it is the most important thing for everyone," Ancelotti told the Guardian.

"I don't want to train a team that is not in the Champions League as for me it is the best competition in the world. But I am an optimist and I believe my team has the quality [to finish in the top four]."

LINK

Actually he think that he is going to be Chelsea manager next year. :laugh2:

I think this is a little out of context.

What he's probably trying to get accross is that as a coach he deems it unacceptable for US not to be in the CL and he is confident in his abilitys to secure are place in this competition.

If it where meant as the paper are conveying it I would say look in the mirror carlo but pretty confident its more of a war cry

A rumour that won't go away.

Carlo seems like a nice bloke, but am not sure he is the man for us long term. I'm not sure who is, but if, god forbid, we don't qualify for the champs league we should give Poyet a chance. Doing a great job at Brighton & speaks sense when you hear him talk on sky.

A rumour that won't go away.

Carlo seems like a nice bloke, but am not sure he is the man for us long term. I'm not sure who is, but if, god forbid, we don't qualify for the champs league we should give Poyet a chance. Doing a great job at Brighton & speaks sense when you hear him talk on sky.

I'd rather Zola, or di matteo or combination.

I'd rather Zola, or di matteo or combination.

I get the impression Poyet is tougher than either of those 2. Zola is one of my fav ever Chelsea players, it would be awful if he came & failed. I would rather see him come in when more established or as a part of the coaching team 1st.

Loved what Carlo acheived last season and I love him as a top bloke, but last season seems a world away now.

Since Wilkins has gone it's as though he has lost part of himself. I've lost all faith in him. He doesn't have the ability to do anything different or change the pattern of a match.

If we don't get past Copnhagen he's a gonna for sure and even then, the chances are his days are still numbered.

I very much doubt Carlo has long left in the job irrespective of how we get on against Copenhagen. We are much worse now than we were when Scolari was punted and Roman showed no ercy when it came to that decision. Roman is fully aware how important it is we finish in the top four and the team playing this way is extrememly unlikely to achieve it. The players have to take as much of the blame for that as the manager however the option of changing players is noiw past however the option of changng managers is always available.

Something needs to change as we are just rolling form one below par performance to another and very little is being done by the manager or the players to try and change it. A change of manager may be the only chance we have of turning things round and I will be very surprised if Roman doesn't take that gamble.

I very much doubt Carlo has long left in the job irrespective of how we get on against Copenhagen. We are much worse now than we were when Scolari was punted and Roman showed no ercy when it came to that decision. Roman is fully aware how important it is we finish in the top four and the team playing this way is extrememly unlikely to achieve it. The players have to take as much of the blame for that as the manager however the option of changing players is noiw past however the option of changng managers is always available.

Something needs to change as we are just rolling form one below par performance to another and very little is being done by the manager or the players to try and change it. A change of manager may be the only chance we have of turning things round and I will be very surprised if Roman doesn't take that gamble.

I'm finding it hard to disagree with this now. We can't play this badly for this long and have the manager not doing anything about it. We're as bad as we were under Scolari, and I'm worried that we're gonna get humiliated by Man Utd and we're not even gonna come within striking distance of the top 4. Carlo took the gamble of playing the first team back into form and it failed miserably... where does he go from there?

Watching Terrry Venables on Chelsea TV last night, he made a point about top managers being able to provide that special spark, to get that little bit more out of the players, to make the right changes at the right time.

My thoughts then were that this is a fair summary of what Ancelotti hasn't been doing. I think we have to face facts. Ancelotti's performance this season, from team selection, risk taking, motivation skills, questionable substitution - you name it, is not that of a highly paid top manager.

TIme for him to go.

Carlo needs to go.

What summed it up in a nutshell is Clement remonstrating with the ref and not Carlo.

He's lost it. Unfortunately, there is nobody else.

We should have got Steve Clarke in to arrest the slide. But we haven't so we're going to finish 7th. Depressing.

Alas, it's only a season. I'm trying to get some perspective on things.

Edited by Jimmy_blue

Watching Terrry Venables on Chelsea TV last night, he made a point about top managers being able to provide that special spark, to get that little bit more out of the players, to make the right changes at the right time.

My thoughts then were that this is a fair summary of what Ancelotti hasn't been doing. I think we have to face facts. Ancelotti's performance this season, from team selection, risk taking, motivation skills, questionable substitution - you name it, is not that of a highly paid top manager.

TIme for him to go.

In this moment, I would even consider El Tel (short term). Today & v Fulham was bad, but the last 10mins vs Liverpool, a poor team we all hate beating us at home, and we had no ideas on the pitch, almost like we had given up already. Thanks Carlo for some fantastic moments in the 1st season, but it time for a change now.

I think the team played ok today and second half showed motivation, I don't think a lot of these players are at the top of their form and it shows.

Everton never looked like scoring but we are so used to creating chances and not scoring ourselves of late that confidence of the players must be as bad as the confidence most on this forum show.

The Buck has to stop with the Manager as with so many players playing below par its not possible to blame anyone else but I'm hoping Roman has got fed up with seing the exact same situation arise almost every season and realises keep changing managers is not the way to sort it out.

from Mourinhos third season when we couldn't win the title we have seen these type of performances in fact todays performance wasn't even bad and every season since then we have had sack the manager pleas and all but last those pleas have been granted, where has that got us? we need a shake up and that would include Carlo bringing in a replacement for Butch that can interact with the players, I doubt Emenalo does a lot and he needs someone to bounce ideas off at least,

We need to see how Torres and Luiz fit into the team and build around them, a new man coming in will likely cause us to let him see what he can do with whats here, if he comes in and a few players wake up we could look better and we could start next season with the exact same squad we have now only for it to turn sour in October and the vicious circle start again.

I don't think Carlo is the best Manager around in fact I don't think there is a best Manager, just a right fit at the time and what we need is players to come in that fit to the Managers vision of the way he wants the team to play, not just put a new man in with a new name and a couple of nmonths worth of respect.

I think the team played ok today and second half showed motivation, I don't think a lot of these players are at the top of their form and it shows.

Everton never looked like scoring but we are so used to creating chances and not scoring ourselves of late that confidence of the players must be as bad as the confidence most on this forum show.

The Buck has to stop with the Manager as with so many players playing below par its not possible to blame anyone else but I'm hoping Roman has got fed up with seing the exact same situation arise almost every season and realises keep changing managers is not the way to sort it out.

from Mourinhos third season when we couldn't win the title we have seen these type of performances in fact todays performance wasn't even bad and every season since then we have had sack the manager pleas and all but last those pleas have been granted, where has that got us? we need a shake up and that would include Carlo bringing in a replacement for Butch that can interact with the players, I doubt Emenalo does a lot and he needs someone to bounce ideas off at least,

We need to see how Torres and Luiz fit into the team and build around them, a new man coming in will likely cause us to let him see what he can do with whats here, if he comes in and a few players wake up we could look better and we could start next season with the exact same squad we have now only for it to turn sour in October and the vicious circle start again.

I don't think Carlo is the best Manager around in fact I don't think there is a best Manager, just a right fit at the time and what we need is players to come in that fit to the Managers vision of the way he wants the team to play, not just put a new man in with a new name and a couple of nmonths worth of respect.

Yes but the team vs Sunderland was Carlos fault. So was:

-letting essien go off to do his own thing when he should have been training hard

-not having strict instructions for 1st choice pen taker to score vs Spurs

-playing Torres from the start after 2 & changing a winning side vs Liverpool

I'm fond of Carlo for last season & how he conducts himself, but half the team don't seem to be playing for him.

Wow.

I am surprised all you guys want Carlo to go.

I was expecting to be one of the few. But it is the consensus.

Carlo just has the look of a stoic Captain going to down with his ship. He isn't going to to turn the tide. If anyone is it's going to be Didier Drogba rediscovering his shooting boots and pulling us out this slump single-handedly and others playing off him.

Wow.

I am surprised all you guys want Carlo to go.

I was expecting to be one of the few. But it is the consensus.

Carlo just has the look of a stoic Captain going to down with his ship. He isn't going to to turn the tide. If anyone is it's going to be Didier Drogba rediscovering his shooting boots and pulling us out this slump single-handedly and others playing off him.

No, there are a few of us posting who don't want him to go.

Yes but the team vs Sunderland was Carlos fault. So was:

-letting essien go off to do his own thing when he should have been training hard

-not having strict instructions for 1st choice pen taker to score vs Spurs

-playing Torres from the start after 2 & changing a winning side vs Liverpool

I'm fond of Carlo for last season & how he conducts himself, but half the team don't seem to be playing for him.

Don't you think after identifying that problem that hes doing pretty well if thats the case?

I'd say half the team should be held responsible if you're right. I think its more a problem that when these players lose a bit of form rather than try their nuts off they don't put as much effort in knowing that as they play for Chelsea its the Manager that will get the blame, they know he will be sacked and they won't have to work hard till a new man comes in and then it all starts again.

This season has been more than just that and I don't think anyone was that bad today, I think its more that they've got used to things not going to plan and are struggling to get back on track.

I don't think we'll miss out on a CL place and I think we'll end the season playing better but its dependent on fitting Torres and Drogba in together and I think once that clicks we'll be on the way to getting back some real confidence.

Don't you think after identifying that problem that hes doing pretty well if thats the case?

I'd say half the team should be held responsible if you're right. I think its more a problem that when these players lose a bit of form rather than try their nuts off they don't put as much effort in knowing that as they play for Chelsea its the Manager that will get the blame, they know he will be sacked and they won't have to work hard till a new man comes in and then it all starts again.

This season has been more than just that and I don't think anyone was that bad today, I think its more that they've got used to things not going to plan and are struggling to get back on track.

I don't think we'll miss out on a CL place and I think we'll end the season playing better but its dependent on fitting Torres and Drogba in together and I think once that clicks we'll be on the way to getting back some real confidence.

But he is unable to change a game, the only one that springs to mind is Blackburn away & he was about to sub the match winner in that.

I agree, I thought we were better today than in the previous 2, their keeper made some good saves, but I feel this has gone on for too long now. Looking back at his AC Milan side, this same scenario seem to happen. He was very reluctant to bring in young players too.