Avram Grant - Reflecting on his time with us

Myles_91

After seeing the demolition job (double) Agent Grant is doing at the Spammers, it's made me ask myself:

How did we even get top 4 in that season? How did we even stay up?

I hate this man with a passion and have done since his appointment. People may laugh, but I genuinely believe we would have won the domestic treble (at least) if we had a better manager or even just got Hiddink in a year earlier than we did.

If you look at it:

Prem: How many times did we concede goals in the last minute? The Wigan (home), Villa (home) and Spuds (away) still to this day make me sick, particularly the game at WHL when he took off our best player Joe Cole and replaced him with Ballack (I think). He seemed to always take off our best attacking players and replace them with defending players which invited pressure on to us which is why we could never hold on, even a braindead owl could see that it would encourage teams to attack us even more.

Carling Cup: I can't even talk about that final :pUKe:

FA Cup: Again inexcusable. United were knocked out the following day meaning the cup was their for the taking, theres no way we would have lost to Cardiff.

Whilst I am gutted he is sending West Ham down :rolleyes: surely he has to be one of the worst managers to step foot in the PL? As much as I hate West Ham, there is no way they have one of the top 3 worst teams in the league, in fact I can think of 6 or 7 teams off the top of my head with inferior squads than them.

Hope he doesn't step foot in SW6 again!

I disagree completely with you, Myles91. Any manager worth his salt will put on a defensive player to protect a lead near the end of a game, and to suggest otherwise is hindisight of the highest degree.

I don't recall that one game you mentioned about Joe Cole being taken off, but he was never our best player on any day during that season. Ballack is a solid player, and that substitution seems very reasonable, even in restrospect.

I like Avram Grant, and yes, he has shortcomings, but I don't fault him that season for what happened to us. sh*t, do you fault him for JT's miss? Should Grant have gotten a squeegee and dried out the spot where JT was to shoot, just before his penalty take? Come on, get a grip, and ease up on a good man and a person who managed us a lot better than you are implying.

I disagree completely with you, Myles91. Any manager worth his salt will put on a defensive player to protect a lead near the end of a game, and to suggest otherwise is hindisight of the highest degree.

I don't recall that one game you mentioned about Joe Cole being taken off, but he was never our best player on any day during that season. Ballack is a solid player, and that substitution seems very reasonable, even in restrospect.

I like Avram Grant, and yes, he has shortcomings, but I don't fault him that season for what happened to us. sh*t, do you fault him for JT's miss? Should Grant have gotten a squeegee and dried out the spot where JT was to shoot, just before his penalty take? Come on, get a grip, and ease up on a good man and a person who managed us a lot better than you are implying.

Nice one Phillip

Avram done well under all sorts of pressure what with the Fans bleating on about it being Mourinhos will to win carrying us through or Clarke or the lucky heather the Gypsy bird in the Worlds End Pub was selling.

He wasn't an enemy because Roman was in his wisdom keen on sacking a Manager like he has been almost anually since and he done well to keep the boys on an upwardish curve, under Grant we got more points than UTD did over the same period, if that had been the case for the six or so games before he took charge we would have been Champions.

I'm not saying hes a top class Manager but he was treated very poorley concidering what he or whoever youbelieve it was achieved in his tenure.

If Avi takes the Spammers down then he's alright in my book. :)

Spot on, Zola and Clarkey done their best but missed out by one place...I'm sure Avi can out do the two of them.

Myles I'd have to say that's one of the harshest pieces of criticism I've read.

Just in defence of Avram I'd like to point out the following:

1. The day against Arsenal when the crowd started the 'you don't know what you're doing' chant when he brought on Anelka and Belletti, both played key roles in getting us back from 0-1 down with 20 to go to win 2-1.

2. A few weeks later we beat Manchester United to draw level in the title race with two weeks to go, in a match I still believe is the best Ballack played for Chelsea.

3. Both of these matches maintained the 80 game unbeaten streak that we had amassed at home. Home form that hasn't been replicated under Scolari or Ancelotti

4. We outplayed United for 75 minutes of the Champions League final and came within a post of winning the thing.

5. All of this was achieved amid the absolute turmoil of the exit of Mourinho during which Drogba notably told the press he wanted to leave.

6. Also during the January of his reign we signed both Nicolas Anelka and Branislav Ivanovic reasonably cheaply. Two players that went on to become key parts of the trophy winning squads over the next two seasons.

I hate this man with a passion and have done since his appointment.

I think this little comment reveals everything about your position. Most who dislike Grant do so because they worship at the altar of the cult of Jose, and they view him as the reason Jose left. No matter how well we did that season these people can't possibly accept that he was a reasonable success here and was probably treated very harshly at the finish of the season.

His reign certainly wasn't all positive and I think few will ever forget the feeling of losing to Spuds in the League Cup final. However, to suggest you hate a man who in difficult circumstances and largely against the odds produced a stellar season for us is frankly ridiculous, particularly when he came the closest of any of his more lauded colleagues (including St Jose) to winning the biggest prize in European football.

It was the 4-4 game when Joe was the best player on park by a country mile that night. He put us 4-3 up having ran the Sp*rs defence ragged only to ne taken off late on. Sp*rs equalised and very nearly got a winner!!

That game was absolutely crushing, I remember watching it thinking it could have been the game that would spur us on to win the league, but instead we just threw it away, although personally I don't blame Avram for that.

I think we were 7th when he took over, and we ended up taking it to the last game of the season, getting to the Carling Cup Final (okay, so not great) and coming closer than we have ever come before to winning the Champion's League. Yet you lot are saying you "hate him with a passion" - get f**king grip.

It was the 4-4 game when Joe was the best player on park by a country mile that night. He put us 4-3 up having ran the Sp*rs defence ragged only to ne taken off late on. Sp*rs equalised and very nearly got a winner!!

Cudicini saved us from embarrassment

I actually watched this game on classic Premier League matches over the weekend. Joe was brilliant, it's such a shame those days became so rare. In faireness to Avram though he bought on Alex when we were 3-2 up with about 10 to go to play 3 at the back, they equalised out of their arse. Joe then put us up 4-3 with a brilliant bit of work, I think at that point Avram brought Ballack on for him to hold the fort, because it was verging on injury-time. The fourth Spuds goal came from during added time from a header that was only partially cleared, Keane hit the ball on the half-volley and it went in from a full 25 yards out on the angle. Not really the managers fault I don't think.

I think we were 7th when he took over, and we ended up taking it to the last game of the season, getting to the Carling Cup Final (okay, so not great) and coming closer than we have ever come before to winning the Champion's League. Yet you lot are saying you "hate him with a passion" - get f**king grip.

I forget exactly where we were when he took over, but from that point on we had the best record in the league - a trick we hadn't managed under Jose the previous season and wouldn't manage under Scolari (admittedly a soft comparison) the next season. Adding in Nic, Ivan, and our best-ever CL performance, that was a perfectly respectable three-quarters-of-a-season, knocked down to average by the cup final loss to Spuds.

Actually, that's about how all his managerial jobs in the Premiership have gone. The best Portsmouth could want last year was to go down with dignity; he pulled that off and almost won the FA Cup to boot. This year, he's taken a squad of relegation contenders and got a point per game out of them (usually about what's required for safety; this year it's a bit less helpful since everyone and their dog has between 30 and 40 points), as well as going to extra time in the Carling Cup semifinals. Basically, if you appoint Grant you're going to finish in line with preseason expectations in the league and have a fun-but-unsuccessful cup run. Hardly worst-manager-in-the-league stuff (Steve Kean at Blackburn, for my money), although I'm not clamoring to have him back either.

I think avram did wonders with us that season. Any body who was going to come in after Jose was going to be critised for every little mistake they made and in all fairness to him i think he did well. Many managers could have buckled under the pressure of following on from the special one, so to then lead us on to our most successful champions league ever, take man u to the last day of the season and reach the carling cup final, i think the guy deserves a clap.

No this does not mean i would want him back at the club as manager, but i dont see why we shouldnt welcome him back to the club in a lesser role.