Vintage Blues pictures and film

Chelsea Megastore

From http://www.ww1playingthegame.org.uk/content/ww1-history/football-battalion

The recruitment poster shows a detail of Stamford Bridge.

ww1%20ch_zpswaqjgiyi.png

Chelsea Football Club

Chelsea’s gentleman amateur captain, Vivian Woodward, had joined the 17th Football Battalion of the Middlesex Regiment, whose formation had been the idea of Fulham M.P. and Arsenal director, William Joynson Hicks, as a way of recruiting football fans. Woodward marched around the pitch with members of the battalion appealing to fans to join up. The poor response from Chelsea fans appeared to be in direct contrast to successful recruitment drives amongst rugby players and sportsman from public schools. A thinly disguised class bias seemed to depict followers of the working man’s game as ‘shirkers,’ despite The Chelsea Chronicle’s claims to the contrary. That 2000 out of 5000 professionals had already joined up and over 300,000 amateur players enlisted seemed to escape the notice of the critics.

One young lad who did heed the call was James Ridley. As a 13 year old living opposite Stamford Bridge he had volunteered as a ball-boy, a first in the Football League. He had even sneaked into the first Chelsea team photograph so he could be seen with his idols. Ten years later, in 1915 he was serving alongside them in the trenches as a soldier in the Football Battalion. He became a Prisoner of War when he was captured at Cambrai in 1917 but survived the war.

Professional football finally came to an end following Chelsea’s first appearance in the F.A. Cup Final on 24 April 1915. The ‘Khaki Cup Final’ was played at Old Trafford and Chelsea lost 3-0 to Sheffield United. Vivian Woodward had received special permission from his battalion commander to play and raced up to Manchester only to give his place in the team to his replacement Bob Thompson, as he did not wish to deprive his fellow team mate of a cup final medal. With the ending of professional football, players effectively had no choice but to join up. One such player was Jack Cock, who had grown up in Fulham before becoming a pre-war star with Huddersfield Town. He joined Woodward in the Football Battalion and at the end of the war joined Chelsea, scoring England’s first post war international goal.

They are right it's my fault I tried to post a whole page link but I clicked on this picture and posted it thinking the whole page would come up. My apologies to all if you go to Flashbak.com then the whole page should be able to be posted. I'm leaving it well alone I feel bad enough posting a Tottenham picture!

The title is In 1945 Sparked Chaos at Chelsea and Cheated Arsenal.

I wouldn't worry about it....I can't even manage to post photos on here anymore lol

ww1%20ch_zpswaqjgiyi.png

Chelsea Football Club

Chelsea’s gentleman amateur captain, Vivian Woodward, had joined the 17th Football Battalion of the Middlesex Regiment, whose formation had been the idea of Fulham M.P. and Arsenal director, William Joynson Hicks, as a way of recruiting football fans. Woodward marched around the pitch with members of the battalion appealing to fans to join up. The poor response from Chelsea fans appeared to be in direct contrast to successful recruitment drives amongst rugby players and sportsman from public schools. A thinly disguised class bias seemed to depict followers of the working man’s game as ‘shirkers,’ despite The Chelsea Chronicle’s claims to the contrary. That 2000 out of 5000 professionals had already joined up and over 300,000 amateur players enlisted seemed to escape the notice of the critics.

One young lad who did heed the call was James Ridley. As a 13 year old living opposite Stamford Bridge he had volunteered as a ball-boy, a first in the Football League. He had even sneaked into the first Chelsea team photograph so he could be seen with his idols. Ten years later, in 1915 he was serving alongside them in the trenches as a soldier in the Football Battalion. He became a Prisoner of War when he was captured at Cambrai in 1917 but survived the war.

Professional football finally came to an end following Chelsea’s first appearance in the F.A. Cup Final on 24 April 1915. The ‘Khaki Cup Final’ was played at Old Trafford and Chelsea lost 3-0 to Sheffield United. Vivian Woodward had received special permission from his battalion commander to play and raced up to Manchester only to give his place in the team to his replacement Bob Thompson, as he did not wish to deprive his fellow team mate of a cup final medal. With the ending of professional football, players effectively had no choice but to join up. One such player was Jack Cock, who had grown up in Fulham before becoming a pre-war star with Huddersfield Town. He joined Woodward in the Football Battalion and at the end of the war joined Chelsea, scoring England’s first post war international goal.

Brilliant!!

ww1%20ch_zpswaqjgiyi.png

Chelsea Football Club

Thats class, love it.

my era brings back so many great memorys of my youth.....I will try to name them back row....Hutchinson..Dempsey Hudson..hughes webb ..hinton..bonetti  birchanal...mcreadie..harris...front row....not sure..mulligan..cooke not sure...hollins..houseman..tambling boyle and the king...should know the other 2 but age has caught up with me ,,feel free to fill in the blanks... I wiil guess Derek smethurst...front row

Edited by osgood57

my era brings back so many great memorys of my youth.....I will try to name them back row....Hutchinson..Dempsey Hudson..hughes webb ..hinton..bonetti  birchanal...mcreadie..harris...front row....not sure..mulligan..cooke not sure...hollins..houseman..tambling boyle and the king...should know the other 2 but age has caught up with me ,,feel free to fill in the blanks... I wiil guess Derek smethurst...front row

I could be wrong but I think the front far left is Stewart Houston and the other one is Tommy Baldwin. 

Without digging out the videos, what was Bobby Tambling's role in the 1970 cup run, had Ossie taken over as the main striker by then?

Peckham Blue, have checked the club book for the season 69-70 and Bobby didn't play in any of the games. Wasn't even a sub for any of the matches.

Edited by Boyne