Vintage Blues pictures and film

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

2 hours ago, Backbiter said:

It was sad how his Chelsea career just fizzled out after that great promotion season. And like most players who leave Chelsea, he didn't do much afterwards either.

He suffered from injuries early 77/78

He ended up playing for Sheff Utd with Alex sabella from Argentina but I think he gave up after a short time

35 minutes ago, Richard P said:

He suffered from injuries early 77/78

He ended up playing for Sheff Utd with Alex sabella from Argentina but I think he gave up after a short time

Think it was an Achilles Tendon injury that forced Steve to retire aged just 25.  

On 29/11/2020 at 07:50, erskblue said:

Soccer - May 5th, 1979, Stamford Bridge, London - Football League Division One - Chelsea v Ipswich Town : News Photo

Tommy Langley beats team-mate Peter Osgood  to score v Ipswich. May 1979.

A couple of things strike me about this photo. The first is just how much of a gap there was between the East Stand, which you can just see on the left, and the Shed terrace. It makes it look as if the players are kicking a ball about in the park - albeit with mounted Police and an Ice Cream van looking on.

The second perfectly demonstrates the huge 'crown' on the pitch back then. You can't even see the far touchline and the ground falls away closer to the camera too. This was always evident if you stood behind the East Stand and looked up through the old tunnel towards the pitch.

2 hours ago, Ewan Hoozarmi said:

A couple of things strike me about this photo. The first is just how much of a gap there was between the East Stand, which you can just see on the left, and the Shed terrace. It makes it look as if the players are kicking a ball about in the park - albeit with mounted Police and an Ice Cream van looking on.

The second perfectly demonstrates the huge 'crown' on the pitch back then. You can't even see the far touchline and the ground falls away closer to the camera too. This was always evident if you stood behind the East Stand and looked up through the old tunnel towards the pitch.

I think it was done regarding drainage, although the pitch used to be bald and dry down the middle but soft to the sides. Amazing how hard the pitch was towards the end of the season and never saw it watered before a game with an old fashion hose!

4 hours ago, erskblue said:

English soccer player Gary Lineker in action during Chelsea FC v Leicester City FC match at Stamford Bridge, London, UK, 29th September 1984.

David Speedie of Chelsea tries to hook the ball away from Ian Wilson of Leicester City during the Division One match between Chelsea and Leicester...

Doug Rougvie of Chelsea in action during the Canon League Division One match between Chelsea and Leicester City held on September 29, 1984 at...

Nigel Spackman of Chelsea in action during the Canon League Division One match between Chelsea and Leicester City held on September 29, 1984 at...

Kerry Dixon of Chelsea in action during the Canon League Division One match between Chelsea and Leicester City held on September 29, 1984 at Stamford...

Goalmouth action taken during the Canon League Division One match between Chelsea and Leicester City held on September 29, 1984 at Stamford Bridge,...

Pat Nevin of Chelsea in action during the Canon League Division One match between Chelsea and Leicester City held on September 29, 1984 at Stamford...
A few from Sept 84 v  Leicester City.

Great pictures.  Awful away Leicester kit at the time.  

Looking at the photos of the East Stand the seats looked fairly full.  I was in The Shed that day which was also fairly full.  This would indicate an "actual" crowd of circa 25 - 28,000??  Without looking it up I would guess the "reported" crowd was around 17,000.  Got to love Uncle Ken!