One of the all-time great Chelsea goals

Backbiter

http://www.youtube.com/user/razer4660#p/u/10/wdHleV7I7pw#t=10m12s

Pretty sure this came second in goal of the season that year (1980-1). Chivers ran about 80 yards to get on the end of the cross.

Worth watching the whole game - the best we played in a lengthy period before John Neal rebuilt the side. Phil Driver had the game of his life, Fillery looked top class, and Colin Lee looked like Kerry Dixon. Spectacular stuff.

Watching that you realise why Chris Waddle has such a deep hatred for Chelsea.

Weird - I don't know what happened.

I'll try adding #t=10m10s on the end of undertow's link to see if that takes you straight to it!

EDIT: No, that embeds the entire video, and doesn't take you to the goal.

Will try again in a new post. This is nuts.

Edited by Backbiter

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A lot of Chelsea fans class Phil Driver as one our worst. I simply don't get it.

On his day Phil lit the wing up, remember a game against Newcastle it was up there with the best I've ever seen from a Chelsea wide man.

Yeah he was inconsistent but no more than Jesper Gronkjaer !

He gave that one special thing - like Pat Nevin and Charlie Cooke - the crowd buzz as soon as the ball came to his feet.

A lot of Chelsea fans class Phil Driver as one our worst. I simply don't get it.

On his day Phil lit the wing up, remember a game against Newcastle it was up there with the best I've ever seen from a Chelsea wide man.

He gave that one special thing - like Pat Nevin and Charlie Cooke - the crowd buzz as soon as the ball came to his feet.

That was the game Chivers' goal came from. Watch the entire clip and you'll see that Driver really did play superbly that day. He looked a real prospect, but that was as good as it got for him, sadly.

I remember Phil Driver as one of the few bright lights in very dark times. I also saw him play for Stevenage.

You will all be interested in this I think;

http://www.chelseasupportersgroup.net/2011/02/a-chance-encounter-with-a-chelsea-legend/

Would be good if all the current squad read this, especially the bit about the money.

I remember Phil Driver as one of the few bright lights in very dark times. I also saw him play for Stevenage.

You will all be interested in this I think;

http://www.chelseasupportersgroup.net/2011/02/a-chance-encounter-with-a-chelsea-legend/

Would be good if all the current squad read this, especially the bit about the money.

Enjoyed that - thanks for the link.

That was the game Chivers' goal came from. Watch the entire clip and you'll see that Driver really did play superbly that day. He looked a real prospect, but that was as good as it got for him, sadly.

Gotcha, I was in a time wharp for a moment, thought you was talking Martin Chivers!

All I remember was that Phil supplied loads of crosses for Colin Lee when we put him up front. He had a blinder up at Wrexham can't remember the

score but we thrashed them. We were top of the league and he and Peter Rhoades Brown we running riot, then we hit a wall and Geoff Hurst lost the plot

and we never won another game after Christmas or something.

He scored a couple at the start of the next season against Charlton, think he got the winner away somewhere then done his knee at Cambridge, think

he ended up non league at Maidstone or somewhere.

• 4 months later...

My favorite part of the clip comes at 8:35 in when Drives skins his man and makes a great early cross to Lee resulting in a fine save by the keeper.

It hard to beat a bit of old fashion wing play for excitment and to get the crowd going. Would love to see some of that in our current team.

Although I hate the Spuds, I do enjoy seeing Bale in full flow down the left. He has the ability to go wide, beat his man, doesn't f**k about

and delivers a good deep early cross. Seems to be fewer and fewer of these players in the current game.