Jack Rodwell

abramovich

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2002815/Chelsea-Tottenham-target-Everton-midfielder-Jack-Rodwell.html

Chelsea are ready to rival Tottenham in their interest in Everton midfielder Jack Rodwell.

Manchester City and Manchester United are also fans of the 20-year-old England Under 21 star, but are unsure about making an offer in this window.

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich wants to bring in exciting young talent alongside experienced targets such as Luka Modric.

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp wants a defender who can play in midfield and Rodwell, who started at centre half, fits the bill.

Everton need money if they are to give David Moyes any semblance of a chance of breaking into the top five again next season and selling Rodwell, who is valued at £25million, represents their best chance.

Valencia have been linked with Mikel Arteta and Arsenal like Leighton Baines and Phil Jagielka but Everton would want close to £20m each for their England defenders - making a deal unlikely.

Chelsea have targeted other youngsters such as Anderlecht's Romelu Lukaku, Ajax's Christian Eriksen and Kevin de Bruyne of Genk.

Got to say I think Rodwell would simply be another runner in midfield. His technical quality isn't magnificent and he isn't what I'd call creative. We'd have to removing one of Ramires, Essien or Mikel to sign him, because he isn't creative enough to be what we need in the centre.

His colleague Arteta on the other hand I'd sign in a flash. Injuries and age aside he is the best midfielder playing outside the top 6 teams and it's amazed me he has stayed at Everton as long as he has.

Got to say I think Rodwell would simply be another runner in midfield. His technical quality isn't magnificent and he isn't what I'd call creative. We'd have to removing one of Ramires, Essien or Mikel to sign him, because he isn't creative enough to be what we need in the centre.

His colleague Arteta on the other hand I'd sign in a flash. Injuries and age aside he is the best midfielder playing outside the top 6 teams and it's amazed me he has stayed at Everton as long as he has.

Arteta is a good player and we can certainly use his creativity but I think there are better players of the same type out there.

Still, an interesting thought. I'm certainly not sold on Rodwell based on what I've seen so far.

I think he would have suited Jose`s team and style perfectly, though not Romans ambitions of the football he wants us to play. As you said, hes a big, strong athletic player, and we have enough of those.

Got to say I think Rodwell would simply be another runner in midfield. His technical quality isn't magnificent and he isn't what I'd call creative. We'd have to removing one of Ramires, Essien or Mikel to sign him, because he isn't creative enough to be what we need in the centre..

Agree with that. The only reason I can think of for signing Rodwell is that it would help with the Home Grown rules. Oh and there's also the African Cup of Nations. Essien having decided to return to international football leaves us potentially short of four players, assuming both he Mikel, Drogba and Kalou are still with us and are selected for their respective national squads.

I think Rodwell would do a decent job to be honest however as guys have suggested he maybe lacks the bit of quality that we should be looking for. Certainly if the asking prices is anything near the likes of Jones and Henderson then we would be better off looking at other players

• 7 months later...

• 6 months later...

Not been linked for some time, but he has now gone to city for a meagre 12 million plus future add ons....

not a bad bit of business for a player rated at 25 mill a while back. Would have liked him here, as he could have donw a decent job for in the middle or cover at the back.

Not been linked for some time, but he has now gone to city for a meagre 12 million plus future add ons....

not a bad bit of business for a player rated at 25 mill a while back. Would have liked him here, as he could have donw a decent job for in the middle or cover at the back.

We've got Oscar, Josh, KdB and Romeu who are all in the similar age bracket and i rate each of there players higher then Rodwell. Don't get me wrong, decent player but he has a bad injury record for a player his age. Not at all fussed that we've missed out

We've got Oscar, Josh, KdB and Romeu who are all in the similar age bracket and i rate each of there players higher then Rodwell. Don't get me wrong, decent player but he has a bad injury record for a player his age. Not at all fussed that we've missed out

I always thought Rodwell was a box-to-box midfielder wheras Oscar, Josh & de Bruyne are playmakers. But I'm not bothered we didn't sign him because he seems way too injury prone.