Great Quotes from Movies

CFCCAN

There have been some great lines in movies from some great actors thanks to the script writers....how about this one from Elmer Gantry...

Movie Name: Elmer Gantry (1960)

Quote: Lulu Bains:

Oh, he gave me special instructions back of the pulpit

Christmas Eve. He got to howlin "Repent! Repent!" and I got to

moanin "Save me! Save me!" and the first thing I know he rammed

the fear of God into me so fast I never heard my old mans

footsteps!

I used to love watching Burt Lancaster, Kirk Douglas, Tony Curtis and actors from that era or even earlier; probably the first movie I remember as kid watching was High Noon with Gary Cooper and that great song ..'Do not forsake me o my darlin.......' Ah love gotta love those old sh*tkickers

Good one! Great movie, too.

Here's one I never understood. It's famous and it's supposed to be flirty/provocative. But I could never really figure out why.

Movie name: To Have and Have Not

Quote: Marie "Slim" Browning (Lauren Bacall)

"You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow."

Edited by wxwax

Good one! Great movie, too.

Here's one I never understood. It's famous and it's supposed to be flirty/provocative. But I could never really figure out why.

Movie name: To Have and Have Not

Quote: Marie "Slim" Browning (Lauren Bacall)

"You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow."

Very provacative / suggestive.....what about the classic....

'Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn'......Rhett Butler...Gone with the Wind

There are some wonderful quotes from Withnail and I. like...

Withnail: We want the finest wines available to humanity. And we want them here, and we want them now!

and..

Monty: I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain 'je ne sais quoi' oh so very special about a firm, young carrot.

(Stepping into a robbery, the crim asks Eastwood what he is doing)

Eastwood: Every day for the past ten years Loretta here has been makin' me a cup of long black coffee, but today it had sugar in it....Alota sugar. I just came back to complain, so you boys best put down those guns.

Punk: Say what?!?

Eastwood: Well we're not just gonna let you walk out of here

Punk: Whose we sucka?

Eastwood: Smith and Wesson. And me. (As he pulls out the usual 44. Magnum handcannon)

Edited by Spiller86

Here are some memorable ones that I initially thought of:

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

"A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?"

"How can you trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders? The man can't even trust his own pants."

"All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up."

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that, he's gone."

"Obviously you're not a golfer."

"Right... That's why you were standing in the Chancellor's back yard twirling that little cap gun of yours tonight. You're fine, all right. You're fit as a f**king fiddle."

"The funny thing is, on the outside I was an honest man. Straight as an arrow. I had to come to prison to become a crook."

---

I'm not sure if I've got all the quotes exactly right. It's been a while since I've seen most of them, so feel free to correct me if I got some of them wrong.

Nothing particularly springs out at me as a great quote. There are some decent ones like:

And there's a few I liked from The Fountain, such as:

"For every shadow, no matter how deep, is threatened by morning light."

"All these years, all these memories, there was you. You pulled me through time."

But other than that, I don't really have any favourites or anything.

"You're gonna need a bigger boat".

Chief Brody to Quint on Jaws.

Simple,but brillant.

And so often misquoted. It's interesting how many misquotes have become "official" in a way that people quote them and think they're quoting the movie correctly. "Feeling lucky, punk?" "Play it again, Sam", "Luke, I am your father", "Mrs. Robinson, are you trying to seduce me?", and so on...

I think one of the most interesting misquotes is the famous line from Apollo 13: "Houston, we have a problem". It's interesting because that line is being said in the movie, but the real astronauts on that flight never said it like that. What they said was "Houston we've had a problem". The difference is not a huge one, but I remember reading about it that they figured it didn't sound dramatic enough. They were afraid that saying "they've had a problem" sounds too much like the situation is over, or something along those lines. People think it's a historical quote, but it's just a line in a movie, really.

Edited by Maksimov

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whores all get respectable if they last long enough.

It's gettin' so a businessman can't expect no return from a fixed fight. Now, if you can't trust a fix, what can you trust? For a good return, you gotta go bettin' on chance - and then you're back with anarchy, right back in the jungle.

Followed by yet another anecdote about his sensitive crimes in a punt with a chap called Norman who had red hair and a book of poetry stained with the butter drips from crumpets.

Good post, Maski. Made me think of two things. One, even Shakespeare's lines have been "improved" for modern covnenience. And two, television news writers strive to write in the active voice because it conveys urgency. The same reasoning probably explains the altered Apollo line.

...television news writers strive to write in the active voice because it conveys urgency. The same reasoning probably explains the altered Apollo line.

You're probably right about that one. They used "Houston, we have a problem" as the movie's tagline, which seems almost like a news headline when you see it on a poster. I think the original "we've had a problem" was said because they didn't know what the situation was, but by looking at the control panels, they knew something dramatic had happened. If I remember correctly, they didn't even know that they were leaking oxygen at the time. I think they'd just heard a large bang(didn't know what it was exactly) and after that the control panels were showing all sorts of alarms.

---

As for another interesting misquote... Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the line "Elementary, my dear Watson" was never written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, but it was actually used in an early Sherlock Holmes movie, after which it became a bit of a catch phrase.

As for another interesting misquote... Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the line "Elementary, my dear Watson" was never written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, but it was actually used in an early Sherlock Holmes movie, after which it became a bit of a catch phrase.

Here's the Snopes study. Not in books, as you say. Although used in movies, may not have originated there. Good one, Maksi.

Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape.

If you take my advice, you'll become one of the great balloon-folding acts of all time! Really, 'cause I don't just see you folding balloons in joints. You listen to me, you're gonna fold balloons at universities and colleges.

Truth is Ab, he was alive when I buried him.

It's a film that was nominated for a Golden Globe. I was looking through Philp Seymour Hoffman films and came across this one. I have ordered it on DVD and will let you know what I think when I've watched it. But this extract from a review interested me:

It's tough to admit that we may have something in common with a Suburban pedophile, a pathetic dreamer, a pretentious literary snob or a obscene telephone sex stalker and one of the most frightening ideas ever put on film is here: Solondz makes plausible the people we view as being "sick" or generally look down upon aren't that much different than us. They still want the same things we do. And he also questions the ideals America seems to hold most dear, like monogamy and morality. And yeah, happiness. How exactly DO you find happiness? Is ANYONE really happy?

Edited by moi

"It's a Kentucky blue grass, northern California sensimelia blend. Great thing about this stuff is you can go out and play 36 on it and then come home and get stoned to the bejezusbelt"

Might not be exact, but Caddyshack is a very quotable film