Who should head our attack next season?

gee

Who should be our centre forward next season?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be our centre forward next season?

• Didier Drogba
    • Fernando Torres
    • Daniel Sturridge
    • Romelu Lukaku
    • None of them, we need to bring someone in.

It's all a question of Torres. I think Didier will leave in the summer, but what happens with Torres is the big one. I'd sell him, I agree with Carlo, I think he is in the Forlan basket now and it's too late for him.

I'd personally favour another forward being brought in. Rossi is my preference. That would allow us more flexibility and also the option of playing him up front with Danny in a 2 man system, similar to the way City operate with Aguero and United with Rooney.

But of course this is all pure speculation.

If it means we address the need for a midfielder or two, and a winger, then I'm more than happy with giving Studge a season at the focal point of out attack. He's come on leaps and bounds over the last two seasons, and I get the feeling he is the kind of player that could flourish if given the ST role, and is installed as the obvious number one. This is all on the assumption that Drogs and Torres are not at the bridge next year, which looks fairly likely for both of them. To be honest look at the upside of the 3, Studge has the furthest to climb at this point in time - it just leaves us with a gap out wide a the moment, which is probably why he's only started one game in the middle this season.

Drogba - not the player he once was. Still fighting for the cause and gives his all, but he's been rather ineffective this season by his own usual standards.

Torres - pretty much everything said above, and then some. I still believe he can turn it around, but I believe it's now 18 goals without a game, do we really want to risk our season on a stat like that?

Sturridge - adds a great attacking impetuous to the side, and has fantastic ability, but I'm a little worried about his decision making and general willingness to work for the team.

Kalou - he at least deserves a mention, right? You cannot fault his work rate, and he undoubtedly has a very good technical ability, but he is horribly inconsistent unfortunately. Always seems to pop up at the right place at the right time though, an invaluable trait.

Lukaku - strong, powerful, pacey and looks like he will be a great player for us in the future. Still only 18 and has a playing style very similar to Drogba who didn't mature as a footballer until 22/23. To lead the attack next season though? Nope, afraid not.

Which leaves only one option I'm afraid - bringing in someone else. It's crazy to even suggest that when you look at the players we have, but whilst I'm very fond of the players above and do rate them highly, unfortunately the way things are right now I think we'd be in for another tough season if we don't bring someone else in.

Sturridge through the middle with Lukaku as back-up and bring in two wingers. I have no idea who but AVB seems to have a good eye for talent due to being a scout previously, strikers cost too much and especially since we have a guy who's main position is up front, scoring for fun out on the right! Both Torres and Drogba should leave and NOT to a PL club.

Edited by 1905.

Torres - pretty much everything said above, and then some. I still believe he can turn it around, but I believe it's now 18 goals without a game, do we really want to risk our season on a stat like that?

But thats a fantastic stat isnt it? :laugh2:

Only joking.

But in all honesty it is a case of having to bring somebody in.

Lets throw some names out there.....

If we look to buy from players based here already:

Leon Best

Why not?

Would I want him? No

Demba Ba

Loves Newcastle too much?

Would I want him? No

Emmanuel Adebayor

Loves Spurs, but his loan will be up, will they make a move to get him permanently? Will he want to stay there if Redknapp leaves? Wouldn't put it past him to judas once more.

Would I want him? Yes - definately

Robin van Persie

If Arsenal fail for 4th spot, I can really see him leaving this time. if we get fourth spot, I can see him being tempted. But when it all comes down to it, i dont think he would do that to the Arsenal.

Would I want him? Yes

This is a very difficult one to answer as it depends on so many factors.

One question I really have though is what are we doing with Lukaku?

We paid £18M for this kid on the basis he was elite or at least potentially elite. 'The next Drogba' 'Drogba but with electric pace' were the tags being thrown around at the time of his signing.

Now I have not even seen him play 90 minutes myself. The bits I have seen he has looked promising in some and off the pace in the others but I would love to know what our long term plan is for him as he isn't really getting enough minutes to prove himelf at the moment at a time when we have the weakest options up front as we have had for years.

I appreciate he is only 18 (I think) but surely if he is ever going to be a starter he needs more of a chance?

Edited by mclovin83

neither torres or drogba have shown anything this season to suggest that one of them should be first choice.

one or both should leave.

lukaku needs to be given more of a go next season. whether that means he moves one place up in the pecking order or going out on loan, he cannot be left in the reserves. he really hasn't had enough time up front for us to know. it isn't impossible that he could become one of the best strikers in the league as early as next season (given his experience so far and the fact every top side in europe wanted him), but chelsea don't take risks with young players. given that, I'd loan him to another premier league side. another season in the reserves would be a waste of time.

Said the same last year and I will say it again it is torres for me because with the right players and style of play he is the best choice. I'd sell drogba this summer and maybe bring in another striker to compete with torres if it still isn't working for him. If things don't improve this year and avb is still here in the summer I can see both torres and drogba going and I don't think torres would go back to spain.

But thats a fantastic stat isnt it? :laugh2:

Only joking.

But in all honesty it is a case of having to bring somebody in.

Lets throw some names out there.....

If we look to buy from players based here already:

Leon Best

Why not?

Would I want him? No

Demba Ba

Loves Newcastle too much?

Would I want him? No

Emmanuel Adebayor

Loves Spurs, but his loan will be up, will they make a move to get him permanently? Will he want to stay there if Redknapp leaves? Wouldn't put it past him to judas once more.

Would I want him? Yes - definately

Robin van Persie

If Arsenal fail for 4th spot, I can really see him leaving this time. if we get fourth spot, I can see him being tempted. But when it all comes down to it, i dont think he would do that to the Arsenal.

Would I want him? Yes

You'd have that mercenary Spud ballbag Adebayor over Demba Ba?!