what do we need for next year?

irishchelsea90

i read somewhere that roman was willing to give the next manager 200 million to spend?? most likely bullsh*t due to the ffp rules coming in but still... personally i really like the 4-2-3-1 formation... if we buy 2 decent wingers to play either side of mata (i would personally have robben back tomorrow and do not know enough about de bruyne) and torres up front i think we could be challenging for the pl again. also what has happened to romeu? really impressed when he played and has now disappeared. think we have a decent back 4 just need to sort out 2 midfield regulars. id like to see romeu and perhaps a new signing. i think lampard needs to accept he cannot play every game and i dont think merieles is fit to lace his boots. whats the general consensus among everyone else?

It's certainly the biggest question of the summer to be fair, but I've always maintained that the first thing we need is a manager. That way they can come in and mould the team and our style in their own vision. Not a case of the club buying a few players here and there, and then bringing in another manager who they hope can make all the parts work.

This is what worries me, a lot. if AVB is to be believed, then De Bruyne wasn't his signing. And I doubt Torres was Carlo's, either.

What we need is a long hard look at ouselves, and a lot of that wil depend on where we finish this season. I'm not one of those people who believe we won't be able to attract top players should we finnish outside the top 4, and thus the CL. Man City, although in a different stratosphere when it comes to spendning, were able to attract a lot of top talent when they weren't in the CL, so that signifies money talks. I would also add that we have a recent pedigree in the CL that we can use on our CV.

However, lets say we can't attract all the top talent that we want, then I feel that forces our hand to look at our youth squad. Piazon, McEchran (Don't think he'll ever make it), Feruz, Bertrand, Lukaku all offer a varying degree of ability and readiness; whilst giving us some real excitement and drive back into the squad.

Sorry, i should get to your main point.

What do we need

1) a manager

2) width - assuming that manager sees width as an option

3) an overhaul in midfield - Frank to start taking a back seat, Essien to maybe move on, Meireles to the bench, and Ramires back in the middle.

I've allways been a fan of Hazard, who is possible. Di Maria is another, but he's seemingly back in favour at Real. Then I think a striker is certainly going to be needed as I think Drogba will be done, and I don't see enough in Danny to say he warrants the Centre Forward position alone.

Scott

Carlo wanted Torres, at least Wilkins said he did (in a Norwegian coverage of Premiership).

What we need is 10 Dennis Wise, but that's pretty unrealistic.

If we can get our hands on a couple of wingers (plus De Bruyne and Kakuta), for example James Rodriguez and Iker Munian, then we'll be a far better side next year. Maybe train De Bruyne into a central midfield, I think that's where he has the most potential due to his lack of wingers speed.

Since FFP is a reality, we can't go around spending money everywhere. I'm guessing two quality wingers (20-25 million pound) is the most we can hope from, and I think that's where the shoe is pressing. I'd be more than happy if our first time looked like this next year:

Cech

Iva Luiz Terry Cole/(Bertrand in many more PL games than this year)

Muniain KdB Rami James

Mata

Torres/(Sturridge and may-may-maybe Lukaku)

It will be offensive, and we will probably concede goals due to the lack of physical presence in the middle, but hey, Barcelona has beaten the majority of the teams the last three years with midgets, so it's possible. High pressing, high ball tempo and high stamina is the key.

Cant See Lukaku or KDB anwhere near our first team next season. I would imagine that both will be going out on loan.

Assuming Drogba, Kalou, Bossy and Malouda all leave We will need to get some replacements for them. I would think one world class winger will come, plus one top quality creative CM.

I am comfortable with not replacing Bossy at RB, because Ivan is 1st choice, and Luiz and Paulo can both do a job in that positon if needed, not to mention Hutch. so i would save money and leave the RB as it is.

As i see it the tough choice is up top....do we spend big and get a new forward to give Torres another season with Danny as back up?

It's certainly the biggest question of the summer to be fair, but I've always maintained that the first thing we need is a manager. That way they can come in and mould the team and our style in their own vision. Not a case of the club buying a few players here and there, and then bringing in another manager who they hope can make all the parts work.

This is what worries me, a lot. if AVB is to be believed, then De Bruyne wasn't his signing. And I doubt Torres was Carlo's, either.

What we need is a long hard look at ouselves, and a lot of that wil depend on where we finish this season. I'm not one of those people who believe we won't be able to attract top players should we finnish outside the top 4, and thus the CL. Man City, although in a different stratosphere when it comes to spendning, were able to attract a lot of top talent when they weren't in the CL, so that signifies money talks. I would also add that we have a recent pedigree in the CL that we can use on our CV.

However, lets say we can't attract all the top talent that we want, then I feel that forces our hand to look at our youth squad. Piazon, McEchran (Don't think he'll ever make it), Feruz, Bertrand, Lukaku all offer a varying degree of ability and readiness; whilst giving us some real excitement and drive back into the squad.

Sorry, i should get to your main point.

What do we need

1) a manager

2) width - assuming that manager sees width as an option

3) an overhaul in midfield - Frank to start taking a back seat, Essien to maybe move on, Meireles to the bench, and Ramires back in the middle.

I've allways been a fan of Hazard, who is possible. Di Maria is another, but he's seemingly back in favour at Real. Then I think a striker is certainly going to be needed as I think Drogba will be done, and I don't see enough in Danny to say he warrants the Centre Forward position alone.

Scott

Good post, agree with 1-3, accept I would sell Meireles to Juve, I reckon we could make back what we paid & he is just not good enough (despite improving slightly under RDM).

We have been crying out for width since Robben got sold. I would love Di Maria (I know he dives, but he is a great player). Hazard also, but I don't like the way he has been in the press, feels like Neymar part II

Di Maria is Reals second best offensive player, so he won't go, no way. He would have made HUGE difference, so too bad for us.

I feel that Hazard is slightly hyped. Jovetic is just as good and is 10 million pound cheaper.

I also think that if we buy a new top notch striker (Higuain (God forbid tho) or Cavani), then we need to sell Torres, unless we play two strikers at the same time (4-4-2 flat or 4-4-2 diamond).

If we get an offer of 9+ million pound for Meire-less, laugh all the way to the bank. He's maximum a decent squad player, and takes playing time away from Romeu, Josh and other young midfielders.

Too many players have been like walking enigmas this year. We played half a season with a manager that the players couldn't stand. I wouldn't go on a "selling-spending-spree" this summer. 3-4 (maybe 5) players out, and two or three good players in (plus academy players and KdB/Kakuta), then we will perform much better.

But first, the manager. I don't want Jose, Capello or Hiddink because of the continuity aspect of the coaching. Get me Bielsa or someone else who has a different philosophy on football (NOT kicking long balls up to a big striker). It's time to reform our squad and our leader side.

I think i have seen enough of Luiz to know he would be awsome in DM position,and then keeping Cahill/terry combo,why not give De bruyne a go,if he is worth the money we spent on him,why not give him a run,better players around him might bring him on,the energy of ramires,and footballing nous of Mata and Torres,with a couple of signings

................................... Cech

Ivan/bossy.......Cahill.....Terry.........Coley/Berty

...........................Luiz

KDB ..........Ramires..........Mata........Robben/???

...................................Torres

Or something similar,Strength speed and power

Edited by Ballack & Blu

We need this squad:

GK: Cech, Courtois, Turnbull

LB: Cole, Bertrand, PVA

CB: Terry, Cahill, Chalobah

CB: Luiz, Bruma, Davey

RB: Ivanovic, Hutchinson, Kane

DM: Romeu, Essien

CM: Ramires, McEachran, Piazon

CM: Sigurdsson, Lampard, Clifford

LW: Mata, Adam Johnson

RW: De Bruyne, Sturridge

ST: Torres, Lukaku, Feruz

Players in would be Sigurdsson and Johnson, all the others we already have. So an outlay of about £20m-£25m

My preferred formation would be:

--------------------------------Cech

---Ivan-------------Luiz---------------Terry----------Bertrand

-------------------------------Romeu

------------------Ramires-------------Sigurdsson

Sturridge------------------------------------------------Mata

--------------------------------Torres

With regular rotation of the likes of Cole, Lampard, Essien, De Bruyne and McEachran. The younger players like Piazon, Kane, Feruz, etc... to get all carling cup games and sub appearances in games where we are reasonably comfortable in the league.

But almost more importantly than the players, we must change our style of play. We can no longer persist with this incredibly slow build up at the back and long balls hoofed up to a target man to try and hold up. It doesn't work and we must play to the strengths of the players we have at our disposal, not forcing them into a system which has run its course.

Edited by Zeta Orionis

• 2 weeks later...

We need this squad:

GK: Cech, Courtois, Turnbull

LB: Cole, Bertrand, PVA

CB: Terry, Cahill, Chalobah

CB: Luiz, Bruma, Davey

RB: Ivanovic, Hutchinson, Kane

DM: Romeu, Essien

CM: Ramires, McEachran, Piazon

CM: Sigurdsson, Lampard, Clifford

LW: Mata, Adam Johnson

RW: De Bruyne, Sturridge

ST: Torres, Lukaku, Feruz

Not sure who we will buy in the summer and what the chances of us getting the likes of Sigurdsson and Johnson are?

But evren without them, that looks a pretty exciting squad with plenty of quality and a fair bit of youth and losing the stale players who we really can't afford to give yet another season.

Not sure Clifford will ever make it at CFC though. And strikers, we cannot rely on an in and out (and let's face it that is more out) Torres, a raw Lukaku and a 16 year old school kid!! We do need to sign at least one striker to replace Drogba and Kaloua (although I know Sturridge can fill that role) as much as I love to see youth, Lukaku and Feruz are very much still one's for the future rather than next season.

I only included Torres because I'm still slightly living in the fantasy world that he'll come good. I'd much rather sign a striker who will score us plenty of goals. Plus we can also use Sturridge as a back up centre forward - if he cuts out the bad aspects of his game which have been evident recently.

The thing is that when you see most people's plans for next year there is a considerable amount of our existing squad and youth squads, yet somehow we have seemed so lacking in any sort of quality in depth

Think it's Correct that we need a philosophy and tactical change and I hope we don't make a single signing until we have a manager in place

Ideally we have already done the leg work on a new boss and are just holding of the announcement or approach out of respect for his current employers (because that's sounds just like something we'd do!!!)

Then I'd like us to make transfer moves before the euros kick Off as if we have spotted a gem his price will rocket if he has a stormer

Edited by Martin_plumb

Very interesting summer coming up. Roman with constraints. Should be fun.

I'm really hoping that finally after all these years, we can actually buy smart.

No next big things, no massive names. Just some solid signings that will add depth.

I think we need two natural wingers, a decent playmaking midfielder and a decent full back. Get rid of Malouda, Kalou, Drogba? (unless he's happy to rotate/back up from Torres), and Bosingwa. We don't have natural wingers in the squad, and Mata is best behind the forward. So a 4-2-3-1 formation is best for our squad I believe, with Mata in the middle and two natural wingers out wide. I think our attack is our main concern, when we want to defend we can, its just getting the ball forward quick enough and doing enough is a problem. With natural wingers with pace should work I reckon.

What we need is a manager who's allowed to make his own style through the whole club. If that means Bielsa who will reform the club in terms of youth recruitment, tactical aspect and physical aspect of the game, go on. If it means Capello with his 4-4-2 formation, go on. However, the new manager needs at least three years. Instant success while building the team at the same time is impossible. AVB tried too rapidly (and maybe too soon), but in the next season there must be some changes.

AVB succeeded in revolutionizing the youth team with his high offside line, aggressive full backs, inside wingers and a mobile striker who also has the ability to play as a false 9'er. Our Youth team is by far the best in England (okey, there's one match left...) and plays extremely good football. What we need though is the same philosophy through all our teams (youth, academy, reserves, first team) so that when Piazon (for example) gets a match for the first team he knows exactly what to do. This is where Barcelona has succeeded in the last 15 years. If Alves is out, Montoya gets the nod. If Alexis is out, Tello/Cuenca get the nod. Their playing style doesn't change at all, it's just an higher level.

Then, when we have a new manager with a strict philosophy on how we are going to organize the club, THEN we can buy players who fits into the managers philosophy.

Edited by Ozztheboss

Our system is still too heavily focused on individual quality. Tonight was just an underlining of that fact.

The football that teams like Barcelona, Dortmund, Monchengladbach, Swansea etc. are playing includes developing a system that allows individual players to have more opportunity to shine while patching defensive weakness. It's much more efficient and effective. These teams are a youth coach's dream; their success lies in the basics of football- pass, move, close down your man; phrases one hears at any local game on the weekend- being performed 100% correctly virtually 100% of the time.

Barcelona's loss said very little about their philosophy. Tonight we saw the cracks in their team, but not their style of play. They didn't play their own tactic as well as they could've, and it backfired.

The key thing for me tonight was their puzzling lack of width. They instantly looked a more dangerous team when Cuenca switched to the left and allowed Alves to push up on the right. They were at their most dangerous when players were recieving the ball in the position Iniesta scored his goal from. Puzzlingly, Messi, Iniesta, Fabregas and Xavi were content to play amongst themselves, largely ignoring Alves and Tello/Cuenca. An in-form Barcelona, with less to prove, would happily take those options.

However you also have to consider, given how evidently terrible they are in defense, their system made us utterly important, momentary genius aside. An astute clearance (and woeful marking by Mascherano, what the f**k was he doing?) and some outrageous ability by Drogba, Ramires and Lampard aside, we created nothing as a team. There was no concerted effort to threaten Barcelona's goal, no systematic or planned approach, but a reactionary one that fortunately paid off. Now in my opinion the biggest thing missing since 2004-05 is that we have regressed, tactically, into a reactive team. We rarely dominate proceedings, preferring to let the opponent dictate play and react to their mistakes.

Tonight showed that maintaining possession, while the most effective and efficient way of doing so, is not the only way. Essentially after we scored, Barcelona were the reactive team, and it put them in a position they were thoroughly uncomfortable with. Barcelona's passing and probing was a reaction to our solid defense. They couldn't simply pass through us, and we were far too disciplined for them to take a direct approach -which contrary to popular opinion, they often to do use Messi and Sanchez's pace behind defenses- so they had to wait for us to make mistakes. It's this shift in fundamental mentality that gave me a lot of confidence, but our own team never seemed to grasp or press their advantage. The challenge is to recognise this, embrace it, and finally, develop a system that fosters it across a range of situations and teams.

Edited by SydneyChelsea

We have a lot of unintelligent players. If we want to play better football we need to start signing players more like Mata.

We should get rid of our unintelligent players: Mikel, Bosingwa, Malouda, Meireles and Kalou.

Lukaku, McEachran and Chalobah should be loaned to sides where they can get first team action. They've all got potential but none are ready for the first team at the moment.

We should sign a creative, deep lying midfielder such as Modric or Song (someone like them, not them specifically) to play alongside Ramires in the middle. Lamps would start on the bench but if he continues improving in that role he could still feature. We need another winger, I'm not sure De Bruyne will adjust quickly (if at all) and Ramires is better driving from deep. Mata should play just behind the striker(s) but we will definitely need at least 1 winger. Willian does not impress me. Hulk (although not exactly a winger) is not strong enough or consistent enough to play at the very top level.

We need players that are both creative and can play in the middle and wide. Adam Johnson or Milner would be decent signings.They could fill a gap until Piazon or someone else could be brought in. I've always like Cazorla. Hazard would also be a good shout.

Edited by CunningStunt

To be honest I've always thought that the "intelligent player" concept was a bit of a furphy, if not merely exaggeration. I mean Barcelona have guys like Keita, Adriano, Sanchez and Mascherano who have slotted into their team with ease; Swansea have their fair share too. To be a professional footballer at that level means you have reached a certain level of football intelligence and ability. However, unlearning bad habits may be harder than starting afresh, in a sense.

Not sure if we need a "deep-lying" midfielder if Essien recovers. I don't think it's a priority, however we need to improve the rest of the midfield as well. De Bruyne seems to be the answer here. Genk's coach Mario Been has moved him into a central midfield role similar to that of Frank Lampard and given he was essentially out for half a season, his record of 9 goals and 16 assists to date is nothing short of sensational. Would love to see him return on a rotational basis with Lampard next season.

Edited by SydneyChelsea