Denying a Champions League Spot for the Fourth-Placed Team

mickyg

Assuming we are not going to be in the top four this season, then one very nice side-benefit of winning the Champtions League would be that the fourth-placed team would be denied a place in next year's CL.

It would be such a laugh!

Who would you most like to deny?

If we denied the Spuds or worse Newcastle we would be the number 1 most hated organisation on the planet since Al Qaeda (that's if we aren't already).

I'd like to deny the Spuds but part of me would kill to see Wenger have a hissy fit over it and then RVP to pack off to Barca

I'd almost feel a little bad if it was Newcastle - as they have had a cracking season and have overachieved ridiculously and probably deserve 4th all things considered.

If it was Spurs, it'd literally be the best outcome ever..

I'd almost feel a little bad if it was Newcastle - as they have had a cracking season and have overachieved ridiculously and probably deserve 4th all things considered.

If it was Spurs, it'd literally be the best outcome ever..

my thoughts exactly

Would feel somewhat guilty to deny Newcastle (because they've been brilliant, on the pitch and off the pitch, with their recruitment)...but if it was Spurs, I would laugh my ass off, or Arsenal for that matter.

That said, would take 2 Herculean performances on our part to make any scenario happen. I do think it's unlikely we'll recover to 4th

So now this scenario becomes more likely!

If some all powerful genie said to me today, you have two choices:

A) Aresenal will finish 3rd, Chelsea will finish 4th. So you don't have to win the CL to qualify next year.

B) Aresenal will finish 3rd, Spurs will finish 4th. You've might win the CL.

Well, I might even go for choice B) just for the laugh value if we win the CL and Spurs are denied.

So now this scenario becomes more likely!

If some all powerful genie said to me today, you have two choices:

A) Aresenal will finish 3rd, Chelsea will finish 4th. So you don't have to win the CL to qualify next year.

B) Aresenal will finish 3rd, Spurs will finish 4th. You've might win the CL.

Well, I might even go for choice B) just for the laugh value if we win the CL and Spurs are denied.

I'd take option A.

If B happened, then what else is there to dream and hope for. Winning the CL, denying Tottenham a hard fought place in the CL next year, securing CL football which our league form hasn't merited, keeping our prestige for future signing and giving us a stronger chance to win the league next year. There'd be nothing better than that - what else could we dream of after a lottery win like that?