Not a bad start to the season

Barn

There's a lot of doom and gloom around on the site today so I thought I'd give you my thoughts on the season so far.

Not before time we're finally going through a period of transition, we've bought some really bright exciting young players in over the summer and each one has given us glimpses of what we can expect. Hazard has rightly had the headlines, his sublime touch, desire to run at the oposition, ability on the ball like we haven't seen for ages. I a word - Excitement.

Oscar, I admit I've seen next to nothing of this kid and last night he looked a bit nervous to start with, but in that touch leading to the goal and the way he grew after that we saw that he is going to be an absolute world beater, if we can keep him we're going to be the proud owners of the best bloody player in the world, similar in style to our own Josh but currently leagues ahead (that's not a knock on Josh as I think he's got magic in his feet as it is). On top of those two we've got Marin who we haven't seen yet but who's will only add to the ability on the ball and the excitement generated. We've got very young 1st team regulars like; Luiz, Ramires, Bertrand (feels good putting him in this list), Azpillicueta (don't know how good he'll be yet but it's exciting to see), Mikel (I know not everyone agrees), Brana, Cahill, Studge, Torres, Moses.

We've got a very young first team squad full of pace and excitement, then look at the youth players we've got knocking on the door; Josh, Lukaku, Piazon, Ake, Chaloba to name but a very small number of the talent we've got available. We're in seriously good shape. What we have to accept though is that we're changing our personell and our style, with that is going to come a period of hit and miss performances and results.

Last night wasn't the greatest all round performance, there were in fact some crap performances, but there was also enough good about the performance to remind us all of where we're going as a club and I'll tell you what, hang on to your hats because we're going to take it up another level.

Not that you would believe it reading this site.. blimey some people

and having a go an Torres when, 6 matches ago he scores the clincher in the CL Semi, wins the corner to save us in the final and for me, technically scored the goal of the season so far is just bizarre

It has been a great start, this is the most optomistic I have been since the season we bought in Ballack and Sheva after winning the title with record points.

KTBFFH

Decent start could be better. A few tweaks here and there should sort us out i think. The Super cup would have been nice to win, very annoyed by our performance in that one. I also think we would have won the community shield if Ivanovic didn't get sent off, we were unlucky in that one. League has been fine i think, thought we could have played a little better against QPR, to many defensive players on the field for that one.

We are doing ok, won a cup would have been nice. Performance wise, you can't expect 10/10 performance in the few 5 matches of the season. It's about getting the result and playing the team into form. It's better to struggle now than around the end of the season. I mean we were not 10 points off the leader, right? :smile:

Well said. Yes we threw away a two goal lead, and yes we havent won in three games, but this (and the last two matches) were all difficult fixtures.

Frankly, I am glad the team came back to earth after that flying start. I dont trust this team when they get a flying start in the league. So the odd setback here and there will keep this (young and learning) team grounded and keep us pressing on.

The thing that gives me perhaps the most encouragement is all the firepower: Hazard has been brilliant already, Mata we know is brilliant, Oscar just had his coming out party, and Marin still hasnt seen competitive minutes for us (but I think he is gonna be just as awesome). When just one of these guys is on fire they can break a game wide open for us. If two or three of them are out there in full flow, god knows the best is yet to come.

I'd rather have a great start in terms of points, whilst displaying some warts that can be fixed with time, than have a great start in terms of form but drop valuable points through queer luck. It's not as if we've played badly and don't deserve the points we've gotten, we simply have things to work on...just like every single team that is below us in the table.

I'd rather have a great start in terms of points, whilst displaying some warts that can be fixed with time, than have a great start in terms of form but drop valuable points through queer luck. It's not as if we've played badly and don't deserve the points we've gotten, we simply have things to work on...just like every single team that is below us in the table.

Yup, would much rather start "decent" get the points & then developing as the season goes on and avoiding a form slump such as 10/11 thru December/Jan. My main example is Mata/Hazard, the combination is class already, it's a brilliant feeling just wondering what it could and will become as the months go on.

Some of our early season passing and moving between the front four has been stunning, and a real pleasure to watch.

Our 5 man defence is still nice and solid, with cover for ALL the defensive roles.

The only weak link in our team IMO is the connection between the two, but i'm sure it will be sorted sooner rather than later (January at the latest!)

All in all it's been a long time since we've been this exiting, and i'm sure the road to the 'next generation' is not always going to be smooth........

But it will be entertaining, and as for the ups and downs.. That's the Chelsea.

Alan

5 games, 13 points, top of the league, 2 goals conceded, 4 clean sheets for Big Pete(remember as long as Pete is happy)

Looking at the stats and results it shows we are playing under Italian manager. You can also see what Robbie is trying to achieve with the team. Tight defense + sheer skill in attack = success and nice looking football. Jose's formula.

Hope we continue this way. The team is very young so it will only get better.

5 games, 13 points, top of the league, 2 goals conceded, 4 clean sheets for Big Pete(remember as long as Pete is happy)

Looking at the stats and results it shows we are playing under Italian manager. You can also see what Robbie is trying to achieve with the team. Tight defense + sheer skill in attack = success and nice looking football. Jose's formula.

Hope we continue this way. The team is very young so it will only get better.

Yes, you can clearly tell we have an italian manager because when we went 1-0 up last game he sent on another defender, playing 5-4-1. Now that's what I call italian! :wink:

Archived