Sign in to follow this  
JM7

Qatar 2022 World Cup

Exactly. What Country is ready to host a cup RIGHT NOW? England? Spain, maybe? USA has everything needed to have a successful world cup, plus we have so many nationalities the passion wouldn't be a problem. Bosnians, Mexicans, Americans, etc. It would be the best WC to date.

England could easily host it in the summer. Plenty of stadia (in London alone, you could just close your eyes and point, and you'd have a football stadium), great travel infrastructure (Three international airports in London alone, not to mention the ones in Newcastle, Manchester, Liverpool, and Birmingham.  There's also British Rail that connects England, Scotland, and Wales, and Eurostar Rail that connects London St. Pancras with Paris, Lille, Zurich, and Amsterdam), and they live and breathe football.

Probably not because they just hosted one in 2006 but that wasn't your question ;)

Lol fair enough. Germany don't need another one, despite how good the 06 WC was.

England could easily host it in the summer. Plenty of stadia (in London alone, you could just close your eyes and point, and you'd have a football stadium), great travel infrastructure (Three international airports in London alone, not to mention the ones in Newcastle, Manchester, Liverpool, and Birmingham. There's also British Rail that connects England, Scotland, and Wales, and Eurostar Rail that connects London St. Pancras with Paris, Lille, Zurich, and Amsterdam), and they live and breathe football.

True. London could host, or the USA. We have stadiums all across the country, plus the nicest stadium in the world, Cowboys Stadium. Plus, both USA and England are tolerant of gays and other races, *cough cough* Russia and Qatar.

The plot thickens. All that's going in FIFA will make for a crime novel in years to come. Just need to think of a title. Any ideas?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30228348

Franz Beckenbauer: Fifa inquiry over World Cup selection process

Germany's World Cup-winning captain and coach Franz Beckenbauer is being investigated over his part in picking Russia and Qatar as World Cup hosts.

The 69-year-old was one of 22 men who voted in December 2010 on where the 2018 and 2022 events would be held.

Prospective Fifa presidential candidate Harold Mayne-Nicholls, who led Fifa's pre-decision inspection of the bidding nations, is also under investigation.

Ethics chief Michael Garcia is also investigating three Fifa executives.

All three are current members of the world governing body's executive committee - they are Spain's Angel Maria Villar Llona, Michel D'Hooghe from Belgium and Worawi Makudi from Thailand.

American lawyer Garcia opened formal proceedings against "a number of individuals" last week.

Earlier this month, Fifa published a summary report - which Garcia himself claimed was "incomplete and erroneous" - from his two-year inquiry into the bidding process.

I thought Beckenbauer wanted Australia to host the 2022 World Cup until they were eliminated in the first round and even after Qatar got the rights to it he was said to be 'surprised' by the outcome. He didn't sound like someone who supported Qatar getting the World Cup. 

It's an odd turn of events I must say!

I thought Beckenbauer wanted Australia to host the 2022 World Cup until they were eliminated in the first round and even after Qatar got the rights to it he was said to be 'surprised' by the outcome. He didn't sound like someone who supported Qatar getting the World Cup.

It's an odd turn of events I must say!

Australia would be terrible. No stadiums, rugby is on during the world cup, incredibly hot, it'd just be inconvenient.

Australia would be terrible. No stadiums, rugby is on during the world cup, incredibly hot, it'd just be inconvenient.

LOL seriously the World Cup would be played in June/July. That's winter time in Australia when temperatures can be any between 10-19 degrees in major cities.

Rugby is hardly a big sport in the country apart from its popularity in two major states (New South Wales and Queensland) compared to Australian Rules Football which is popular in many more states and territories around Australia. I agree the disruption of other sports would be the biggest issue but it's hardly hot in the winter period which is when domestic off-season is occurring in Europe and there are plenty of stadiums at the present time and only a few more would need to be built.

In regards to stadiums these are the ideal stadiums that could have easily hosted World Cup matches if Australia got the rights to the competition in 2022:

• Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) - 100,000 capacity (final would most likely be played here)
  • Stadium Australia - 80,000 capacity
  • Perth Stadium (will be opened in 2018) - 70,000 capacity
  • Adelaide Oval - 53,000 Capacity
  • Suncorp Stadium - 52,000 Capacity
  • Sydney Football Stadium - 45,000 Capacity
  • Kardinia Park (redevelopment planned by the Victorian State Government) - Redevelopment capacity would be 44,000
  • Metricon Stadium (Will be upgraded for the 2018 Commonwealth Games) - 40,000 Capacity (currently 25,000 at the moment)
  • Newcastle and Townsville Stadium - Both 25,000 capacity stadium but there were potential planned upgrades of 42,000 capacity.

Only one or two stadiums needed to be built but otherwise we have the stadiums that can match it with other countries, especially with Qatar. Most of these stadiums barring Kardinia Park, Newcastle Stadium are in all the heart of their respective cities and would be great for tourists visiting Australia. 

If you think Australia is a terrible option then you have no idea about the country and what it's capable of producing if given the right to host a world event like the World Cup. We're not perfect by any means and there are certain obstacles we would need to overcome but to say we're worse than Qatar is like saying Iraq is a better country than England!

Not much thought put into this, as Jezz says it'd be during our winter so temperatures are pretty ideal in almost all places.

Not much thought put into this, as Jezz says it'd be during our winter so temperatures are pretty ideal in almost all places.

Forgot a kut the season difference. Still, the time difference would be poor, and would they really stop rugby season from beginning? I'd rather England and the USA host it before Austrailia.

The only problem with Australia is the time difference, the world cup would lose a lot of TV viewers in Europe.

Wouldn't the same problem have occurred in 2002 when South Korea and Japan hosted the World Cup because they're on a similar time difference as Australia albeit by only a few hours (approximately 2 or 3 hours difference).

How were the ratings then in Europe if you can remember?

Edited by Jezz

As someone of Jewish descent, I'm more offended by their blatant disregard for the lives of migrant workers than their shallow anti-Israel ploys.

One does not exclude the other... There is ever growing pile of reasons why Qatar shouldn't have and should never have been given the world cup. Let's look at the alternative bid...

Australia, World cup to take place in there winter, good sporting infrastructure in place to begin with. So logistically it's a good shout..

Morraly, they don't persecute against gays, labour laws are shall we say a little more with it and they are tolerant of all religions, nationality and races..

Basically the only are that Qatar wins here is the bug f**k of bribe that landed in fifas pockets..

Edited by barak81

One does not exclude the other... There is ever growing pile of reasons why Qatar shouldn't have and should never have been given the world cup. Let's look at the alternative bid...

Australia, World cup to take place in there winter, good sporting infrastructure in place to begin with. So logistically it's a good shout..

Morraly, they don't persecute against gays, labour laws are shall we say a little more with it and they are tolerant of all religions, nationality and races..

Basically the only are that Qatar wins here is the bug f**k of bribe that landed in fifas pockets..

I agree. My point was that I'm no longer surprised by the antics against Israel by other Middle Easterners at this point. Salah has refused to shake the hands of Israeli players twice now, and the UAE has refused to let Vitesse bring an Israeli player for a match in their country before. The blind, self-rationalized hatred just comes with the territory now it seems.

Speaking of bribes, do you think it's strange how Brazil and Russia won WC and Olympics bids so closely together? I know they're both emerging economies, but it's still a little coincidental.

I still don't think Qatar 2022 will happen because the big money U.S. sponsors have nothing to gain from advertising during a winter world cup in Qatar, a nation of roughly 1 million people. For instance Coca-Cola is always looking to saturate a market but Qatar has no market. The other countries that were in the running such as USA, England, or Australia have decent markets for Coke to attack (USA more so) especially in the summer when things are otherwise slow. Expect to see sponsors pull out starting around 2016.

Edited by John_Galt

Sorry but the American system is better.

NFL: One commissioner hired by owners.  A very centralized system.

Premier League: Lets FA dictate the discipline, lets FIFA disrupt the entire goddamn 2022 season. 

I mean its laughable to imagine any of the big four American leagues let a international competition dictate their schedule. 

What hold does FIFA hold over the Premier League? Would they cut off England's share of the WC profits or something? 

What the Premier League should do is boycott. Pressure all their players to not participate. Remind them who butters their bread. Is the England national team paying them their multi-million wages?

Its unfortunate because for a long time all I knew was the international game, specifically the WC but now I think its better if FIFA and the WC just died. Just ended. The corruption is too rampant. 

Edited by kitierkatba

Wouldn't the same problem have occurred in 2002 when South Korea and Japan hosted the World Cup because they're on a similar time difference as Australia albeit by only a few hours (approximately 2 or 3 hours difference).

How were the ratings then in Europe if you can remember?

From what I remember that wasn't a major problem with the Korea/Japan World Cup or the 03 Rugby World Cup. Most of the matches were scheduled to be on at a reasonable European hour, though it was a bit surreal to be watching football at 9am.

That's absurd by FIFA! The 2022-2023 season is going to be severely disrupted now if those are the final dates of the World Cup in 2022.

This whole situation with giving the hosting rights to Qatar has been nothing but a disaster waiting to happen. 

Quite frankly if a World Cup is hosted in November & December without meaning to sound melodramatic I honestly think it is going to completely ruin the 2022/23 season.

Possibly it's going to have a huge impact on the 2021/22 and 2023/24 seasons too.

It's ridiculous that FIFA have had to so heavily disrupt the European football calender to accommodate this sham of a World Cup.

Farcical from start to finish and already looking to be the worst World Cup Finals ever. 

A true low point for International football and FIFA. 

UEFA should just break away from FIFA and invite Brazil, Argentina and a few of the other top international sides to be guest nations in the European Championships, like they do in the Copa America.

UEFA should just break away from FIFA and invite Brazil, Argentina and a few of the other top international sides to be guest nations in the European Championships, like they do in the Copa America.

Quite honestly I think UEFA could survive without FIFA, it's host to the biggest leagues in the world and the most viewed knock out competition too. 

I don't know what the consequences of a break away would be but it's getting to a point where I think FIFA are doing more harm than good for the game. 

Yes the World Cup is arguably the biggest event in the sporting calender but is it worth the corruption that goes with it? How many people are going to have lost their lives in Qatar as a result of them winning the World Cup, it's essentially slave labour and it's disgusting that FIFA have barely acknowledged this and in my eyes, that's blood on their hands. 

Well I hope some kind of boycott movement arises. 

I am absolutley the last person to be a leader but I'm going to try my best to get people to do something about this.

Compile email addresses and phone numbers of sponsors and organizations. Call Scuadamore, pressure him to give the middle finger to FIFA and continue on. The Premier League should stop for no one. Call sponsors, tell them you wont buy their products if they sponsor the Qatar World Cup.

I'm not sure why UEFA need FIFA at all. They have the Champions League, a veritable gold mine that FIFA have desperately (and unsuccessfully) tried to emulate with their Club World Cup. Most of the top clubs in world football are in Europe. They have more than half the former World Cup winners and more than half FIFA's current top 20 nations. I think the Euros are a better competition too.

Awarding the World Cup to Qatar is so egregious I hope it does spark a change.

Edited by Englishman