Qatar 2022 World Cup

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

When I think of all the reasons that Qatar should not host the World Cup, the need to have it in winter is definitely not my biggest objection.

Every year we have campaigns pushing for equality in football, looking to eradicate racism, sexism, homophobia etc. 

Then FIFA go and hand the World Cup to Qatar. 

Winter World Cup?

Nope.

Not having it.

I would like to see a collective effort of the Premier League, Bundesliga, La Liga, Lique One, and the Serie A boycotting this World Cup and flat-out not show up. I think that if FIFA got wind of such a thing being planned it would force them to back down and give the World Cup to Australia. Said all along that Australia would be a fantastic place to host a World Cup. Australia is a sport mad country with great people who know how to put on a show and host a party. The World Cup would take place in their winter as well, which isn't very cold compared to what we're used to in the northern hemisphere.

Should have been Australia's from day one.

Basically, FIFA is trying to hold the world's biggest sporting event in a 16th Century feudalistic kingdom...oh, and it's hotter than Hell and the clubs that pay the players get to sacrifice at least a half-season of revenue.

It's easy for me to say because I don't have the choice, but I wouldn't participate in the 2022 WC if I was a player. Disgusting project all around.

Basically, FIFA is trying to hold the world's biggest sporting event in a 16th Century feudalistic kingdom...oh, and it's hotter than Hell and the clubs that pay the players get to sacrifice at least a half-season of revenue.

It's easy for me to say because I don't have the choice, but I wouldn't participate in the 2022 WC if I was a player. Disgusting project all around.

It's heading for a conflict between the clubs and Uefa firstly, and then between Uefa and Fifa possibly after that.

Just look at the money the Sky and BT have paid for the next 3 years, what will that figure be come 2022 ?

We could be talking about a 3 year contract for tens of billions.

Holding the WC in Nov/Dec will affect the EPL football calendar for at least 2 seasons, possibly 3 seasons.

Sky and BT are not going to be paying top dollar for those seasons.

Our Christmas calendar is probably the most treasured part of the season. Sky have used the festive period to pull in advertisers paying big bucks for air time, same with BT. 

Imagine the scenario where the BBC/ITV get WC coverage for 6 weeks before Christmas, and Sky and BT have -at best- a normal Christmas calendar, missing umpteen players who have jetted off to Qatar. 

Were talking about losing billions of £, subscribers will leaving, advertisers will pay less, SKY and BT will reduce the amount they pump into the EPL.

Now imagine the other scenario where the European clubs see the potential revenue for TV rights dwindle, and decide to do something about it. It wouldn't have to be anything major, they could just pull players out with injury, like they constantly do in friendlies and far flung games of little importance.

You don't have to be a mathematician to see the conflict ahead.

Scudamore knows this.

It's heading for a conflict between the clubs and Uefa firstly, and then between Uefa and Fifa possibly after that.

Just look at the money the Sky and BT have paid for the next 3 years, what will that figure be come 2022 ?

We could be talking about a 3 year contract for tens of billions.

Holding the WC in Nov/Dec will affect the EPL football calendar for at least 2 seasons, possibly 3 seasons.

Sky and BT are not going to be paying top dollar for those seasons.

Our Christmas calendar is probably the most treasured part of the season. Sky have used the festive period to pull in advertisers paying big bucks for air time, same with BT. 

Imagine the scenario where the BBC/ITV get WC coverage for 6 weeks before Christmas, and Sky and BT have -at best- a normal Christmas calendar, missing umpteen players who have jetted off to Qatar. 

Were talking about losing billions of £, subscribers will leaving, advertisers will pay less, SKY and BT will reduce the amount they pump into the EPL.

Now imagine the other scenario where the European clubs see the potential revenue for TV rights dwindle, and decide to do something about it. It wouldn't have to be anything major, they could just pull players out with injury, like they constantly do in friendlies and far flung games of little importance.

You don't have to be a mathematician to see the conflict ahead.

Scudamore knows this.

qatar-2022-world-cup-winter-world-cup_32

From what I remember that wasn't a major problem with the Korea/Japan World Cup or the 03 Rugby World Cup. Most of the matches were scheduled to be on at a reasonable European hour, though it was a bit surreal to be watching football at 9am.

You should try 3am. :wink:

Think it's a joke to disrupt the whole European football calendar, what happened to the promises of high tech air conditioning rendering the heat issue moot?

I've never really been one of those people to say I'd stop watching football or that this will be the end of the game, but this would be such a radical change and inconvenience to me (and yes other football fans, but I'm being selfish here) that I can see myself becoming disillusioned with the whole thing.

Football for me and many others is a huge part of our lives. We plan our holidays around it, we spend good money on it and this is not a good enough reason to upturn something that's worked for decades simply to placate a corrupt, disgusting organisation and a corrupt, backwards c**try. Taking away the winter programme, extending the season until the middle of summer, having a world cup final when people are focused on Christmas....not only is that unfair on billions of fans but it's also going to run the footballers into the ground.

Boycott the whole thing, tell FIFA to f**k off and use the power that the main leagues have to serve their own interests. 30 years ago this would've happened without any fuss but the landscape has changed and this league as well as La Liga, the Bundesliga and the Champions League must surely have the power to tell Blatter and his ilk to f**k off....and I hope they do. 

Premier League chief Richard Scudamore threatens to sue FIFA over winter World Cup proposal. 

“Our particular concern is that a Fifa World Cup that finishes late in December could result in damaging one of the English game’s great traditions and attractions, with the removal of the entire Premier League, Football League and FA Cup Christmas and New Year fixture programme that season,” Scudamore said.

“Clearly there is still time within the process to consider our position further...before deciding on what, if any, further action might be appropriate. It is clear that the views of the European leagues...have not been given serious consideration,” he added.

More than 50 leagues will have to be re-organised. But the Premier League may face the biggest impact in terms of the amount paid for TV rights during its busy festive period.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/premier-league-chief-richard-scudamore-threatens-to-sue-over-2022-winter-world-cup-10068066.html

The head of sports law at Littleton Chambers said: "The reality is that the sanctions hanging over the FA from FIFA are quite draconian.

"There is an obligation on members of FIFA to get their clubs to follow their regulations, otherwise FIFA could paralyse the game in this country by sanctioning the England team. Additionally, FIFA could even lobby UEFA to ban Premier League clubs from Europe.

So in other words clearly the FA/Premier League are not happy with the decision of a winter World Cup and you would assume that is true of the other top European league too. 

However because of some arse backwards rules FIFA can essentially say "If you don't like it tough and if you don't going along with this and keep your mouth shut we're going to piss all over your leagues top money spinners by banning them"

So basically us fans more than anything are being forced to accept this winter World Cup at proverbial gun point. 

Winter World Cup?

Nope.

Not having it.

I would like to see a collective effort of the Premier League, Bundesliga, La Liga, Lique One, and the Serie A boycotting this World Cup and flat-out not show up. I think that if FIFA got wind of such a thing being planned it would force them to back down and give the World Cup to Australia. Said all along that Australia would be a fantastic place to host a World Cup. Australia is a sport mad country with great people who know how to put on a show and host a party. The World Cup would take place in their winter as well, which isn't very cold compared to what we're used to in the northern hemisphere.

Should have been Australia's from day one.

I love your endorsement for Australia but it's too late now unfortunately. I think the World Cup in Qatar is practically a done deal or else it would have been moved already to another country to have the hosting rights of that particular World Cup.

We'd have to overcome a few things such as appeasing the Australian Rules and Rugby League organisations who have domestic competitions running from late March to the end of September and that are very popular with the locals including myself and build maybe one or two new stadiums and upgrade a few of the smaller stadiums to acceptable standards but apart from that I think Australia would be very capable of hosting the World Cup.

The people here are sports-mad and the increase support for football (or soccer as most of the locals call it) has increased in the past decade or so since Australia's improvement in international football and it's regular participation in the World Cup since 2006. We hosted the Asian Cup recently and that was a success in my view and we've done very well in hosting other sporting events such as the Commonwealth Games in Melbourne in 2006, the Olympic Games in Sydney in 2000 and of course now the Cricket World Cup alongside New Zealand at the moment.

I get the sense that Frank Lowy and the Football Federation Australia (FFA) have become disillusioned with FIFA after our failure to even get a strong look in or consideration in 2010 during the bidding process for the 2022 World Cup. From that day onwards I sense the FFA has given up on the bidding process for the World Cups following Russia in 2018 and Qatar in 2022. 

No compensation and no apology from FIFA.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31620713

2022 World Cup: Fifa rules out compensation for unhappy clubs

Fifa says it will not pay compensation to clubs and leagues unhappy about plans to play the 2022 Qatar World Cup in November and December.

It also said no apology was necessary for the scheduling of the tournament, which will disrupt a number of leagues.

A Fifa taskforce has recommended the 2022 World Cup take place in winter to avoid Qatar's hot summer temperatures.

"There will be no compensation," said Fifa secretary general Jerome Valcke. "There are seven years to reorganise."

Fifa's executive committee will meet in Zurich next month to ratify the taskforce's recommendation.

Valcke also suggested that a 2022 World Cup final on 23 December was looking increasingly likely.

Leading English officials claim a final that close to Christmas will cause havoc with their traditional festive club programme and say they will campaign for an earlier final date.

But Valcke says European governing body Uefa and other confederations are keen on 23 December, although 18 December is also a possibility.

Valcke also confirmed the 2022 World Cup will be four days shorter as a "concession" to leagues and clubs - 28 days instead of the usual 32 - and that the 2023 African Nations Cup will move to June from January.

Edited by Boyne

So they're moving the ACON to summer because Qatar is too hot for a summer world cup.

Aren't parts of Africa hot too, or are they going to arrange it in a place that is cooler in the summer months. Couldn't they have done the same with the World Cup?

Oh wait, that's too logical and doesn't take account of the massive bribes the corrupt state of Qatar is playing.

From Newsbiscuit

Christmas to be moved to accommodate Qatar World Cup

348-xmas-in-the-desert.jpgConcerns that a possible World Cup final on 23rd December may be too close to Christmas Day have been quashed today as FIFA has announced that Christmas Day will be moved to January.

Representatives of Europe’s biggest Christian groups had said that they were against a winter World Cup on the grounds that it would overshadow the build up to the annual festival, popular for about the last 2000 years, but FIFA President Sepp Blatter argued ‘Compromises will need to be made. There’s no reason why a religious festival celebrated by millions around the world shouldn’t be moved.’

Christian leaders travelled to Switzerland to explain why they believed it would be sacrilegious to change the symbolic birthday of the son of God. But after a meeting at FIFA’s headquarters, they emerged looking mollified, reassured and wearing gold Rolex watches. ‘There is no reason why we can’t be flexible about the date of Christmas’ said Pope Benedict, as he climbed into his new Rolls Royce with Qatari number plates. His holiness explained that he would continue discussions with two ‘FIFA consultants’ in the back of his new car, one blonde, the other a brunette.

As part of the deal, Father Christmas has had to move his North Pole base to the middle of the Qatari desert, and his elves’ workshop will now operate under Qatari employment law. A number of reindeer are already suffering from extreme dehydration, while the elves are now working an 80 hour week until they pay off their ‘recruitment fees’. Or until they die, which given the working conditions, should not be very long

I see that Gary Neville's been making a case for holding the tourament in Qatar, based largely on the fact that there has not yet been a World Cup held in the Middle East, and that world football doesn't revolve around the Premier League, that it is a World Game, and so the venue should not be limited to just Europe and South America.

Speaking generally, Gary Neville may well have a point, but the argument is not a general one, it's about Qatar specifically. I find it impossible to believe that Qatar were awarded the World Cup for anything but purely financial reasons. Looking at the Middle East generally, there are any number of more suitable canditates. For reasons that have already been discussed in detail, both here and elsewhere, it's difficult to imagine a worse location than Qatar, which has no footballing history, no football infrastructure, but is intent on the creation of purpose built stadia using slave labour working in literally life-threatening conditions.

Despite all this, it seems as if the tournament will be going ahead. My hope therefore is that the FA and other national football authorities worldwide will refuse point blank to have anything to do with the Qatar World Cup, leaving the final to be contested by footballing minnows viewed by record low attendances and that the stench of corruption and greed emanating from everything to do with the tournament will be enough not only to ensure the failure of the event, but to finally bring an end to Sepp Blatter's evil empire.

Forget the disruption of the footballing calendars, there are way bigger issues here. FIFA is taking the WC to a country that practically uses slave labour to build the stadiums. Slave labour. I'm at a loss for words about how disgusting that is. There should be a real moral outrage all over the world.

Forget the disruption of the footballing calendars, there are way bigger issues here. FIFA is taking the WC to a country that practically uses slave labour to build the stadiums. Slave labour. I'm at a loss for words about how disgusting that is. There should be a real moral outrage all over the world.

Sadly more of the same, as per

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2011/may/27/dubai-migrant-worker-deaths

Every year we have campaigns pushing for equality in football, looking to eradicate racism, sexism, homophobia etc. 

Then FIFA go and hand the World Cup to Qatar. 

And this is one of the issues i have with the  stinking hypocrisy around the racist incident in paris last week, fifa, we don't care about, racism, homophobia, slavery, subjugation of women,equal rights for all, inconveniencing football fans, wrecking football schedules and leagues, football traditions,i.e football at christmas.

what we do care about? a pound note! yippee.

Edited by croydonblue

Australia Australia Australia

Should have won the bid to begin with  

The most annoying thing is...all the furore is over the weather in Qatar. They can't hold the cup when it's normally held...

Australia would literally be perfect weather for football. Australian winter. Nice and cool, no snow. Perfect.