Sign in to follow this  
JM7

Qatar 2022 World Cup

It's nowhere near the stage of boycott. The World Cup will be held in a variety of locations, it's only right in my opinion. Us in Western Europe and the Americas don't hold a special privilege to the game. That for me is the starting point and any boycott would look like we are against the notion on the World Cup being in new locations.

I'm not best pleased that the potential of changing the date was never declared and more importantly that people are dying building the infrastructure for the World Cup. These for me are the main issues.

Would Qatar host a good World Cup? Probably. There was so much scepticism about Brazil and South Africa, but off the pitch both tournaments were pretty successful.

The Middle East should have its time, the issue is just how they got their time.

It's nowhere near the stage of boycott. The World Cup will be held in a variety of locations, it's only right in my opinion. Us in Western Europe and the Americas don't hold a special privilege to the game. That for me is the starting point and any boycott would look like we are against the notion on the World Cup being in new locations.

I'm not best pleased that the potential of changing the date was never declared and more importantly that people are dying building the infrastructure for the World Cup. These for me are the main issues.

Would Qatar host a good World Cup? Probably. There was so much scepticism about Brazil and South Africa, but off the pitch both tournaments were pretty successful.

The Middle East should have its time, the issue is just how they got their time.

All valid points but someone like Australia wanted to host the World Cup as well and the weather conditions would have suited the players and the safety of attendees and players would have been guaranteed.

I'm sure that when 2022 arises, Qatar will pull off a decent World Cup on the field but their vast range of issues like strict Islamic law, different cultural values and of course scheduling is the biggest concerns with this World Cup and the corruption of FIFA to give Qatar the World Cup was extremely underhanded and shouldn't be tolerated by any decent football fan. 

Brazil was in many ways a shambles off the pitch. Did you not notice the hundreds of thousands of people protesting and rioting against it?

The World Cup should be hosted in different places around the world - a boycott would be against the corruption of FIFA rather than anything else. And the reason Qatar got the World Cup was due to corruption, therefore a boycott would protest against their hosting it.

I don't think anyone, including the Western Media, is really annoyed that it has gone somewhere else in the world - I don't remember any opponents to the 2002 Korea/Japan World Cup. 

An interview with a member of the Qatar World Cup bid. She turned whistle-blower and then retracted her comments. Heard part of it earlier today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30122601

"Fifa whistleblower Phaedra Al-Majid says she will "look over my shoulder for the rest of my life" after making allegations of corruption against Qatar's successful 2022 World Cup bid.

In a two-year inquiry which cleared Qatar, Al-Majid repeated allegations she made and later retracted in 2011.

She told the BBC her accusations introduced her to "a whole new culture of paranoia, fear and threats".

In response, Qatar said they "stand by the integrity of their bid".

They said a series of allegations about their conduct had been "over a period of years, investigated, tested, considered and dismissed".

Al-Majid worked as an international media officer for the Qatar 2022 bid team before losing her job in 2010.

Her allegations that Qatari bid officials offered to pay for the votes of three Fifa members first came to light in 2011. Later the same year, she signed an affidavit saying they were false.

She now says she was coerced into changing her statement.

"I had no more legal representation," she said. "When the Qataris approached me, I was alone. I'm also the single mother of two children, one of whom is severely autistic and severely disabled."

Al-Majid said officers from the FBI visited her in September 2011 after they became aware of threats against her.

She said: "They questioned me about the Qatari bidding process and they questioned me about all the threats I had received from the Qataris.

Qatar response to Al-Majid's claims

"We stand by the quality and integrity of our bid and will not comment further at this time on allegations that have been, over a period of years, investigated, tested, considered and dismissed."

"It was decided at that point that I would help them with their investigation and it was planned that I would talk to a senior official at the Qatar bid.

"So when I talked to the official - and the FBI are recording this - he did admit that there was a deal for the affidavit, that I would basically say that they had done no wrongdoing."

Al-Majid, who says she is "tired of Fifa's culture of secrecy", provided all her information to Michael Garcia, the US investigator appointed by Fifa to look into allegations of wrongdoing during the bidding process for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

But judge Hans-Joachim Eckert, who released a 42-page summary of Garcia's findings on 13 November, said her evidence contained "inconsistencies" which prejudiced its credibility.

In contrast, Qatar say they supplied "full and valuable" assistance to the Garcia enquiry, which ran for two years.

"We stand by the quality and integrity of our bid and will not comment further at this time on allegations that have been, over a period of years, investigated, tested, considered and dismissed," added a statement from the Qatar 2022 Supreme Committee.

Garcia subsequently criticised Eckert's summary and the pair are due to meet on Thursday.

Meanwhile, Fifa president Sepp Blatter has rejected FA chairman Greg Dyke's call to publish Garcia's findings in full.

Blatter says publishing the report would break Fifa's rules and Swiss law, claiming every person in the report would have to give consent to publication - something that would be practically impossible.

Blatter asks if Dyke's letter may be interpreted as "providing consent" on behalf of any member of England 2018's bid team and "as a corresponding waiver of any legal action in the event of such publication."

Fifa has already announced it has filed a criminal complaint with the Swiss attorney general in respect of unnamed individuals who report names may have breached Swiss law during the World Cup bidding."

On a related topic I think there is a meeting today between Garcia and Eckert to discuss the recently published report. Will be interesting to hear the outcome of the meeting but I suspect that FIFA will ask the two not to voice comments in public.

On the subject of a boycott, presumably that would include qualifying games as well. That would result in a loss of earnings to national football assocations. In England I expect that some of the monies raised from playing games at Wembley goes to paying for the refurbishment of the stadium. Not sure if the FA would be happy with the loss of revenue.

One thing you can say about South Africa is that prior to the World Cup there already an established football tradition in place. The same can be said for Brazil and Russia, obviously. But Qatar? A tiny little nation, hazardous condtions, an appalling record on human rights, with less of a football background and a lower footballing profile than the likes of Llichtenstein, Luxembourg and Andorra

What they do have is money. Loadsamoney and then some. And that is the one and only reason for awarding the World Cup to Qatar. Anyone who thinks differently is kidding themselves.

Similarly with Mohamed bin Hammam, the Qatari football administrator who was at one time president of the Asian Football Association. In 2011 and was also president of the FIFA Goal Bureau. In 2011 Mohammed bin Hammam "stated he might run against the incumbent president Sepp Blatter for the presidency of FIFA". And so there was a real possibility that a Qatari with zero footballing background, other than administrative, could have become the head of the ruling body of the world game. But then Sepp Blatter's first love was tennis. And suspenders, of course.

This is the same Mohammed bin Hamman who was suspended along with Jack Warner for offering financial incentives.  Even so, bin Hamman was hugely instrumental in putting together the Qatari World Cup bid.

To the argument that football is a World Game, this is true. Football doesn't "belong" to anyone in particular.  Looking at the possibility of holding the World Cup in Qatar, youd' be hard pressed to find a worse option, for reasons outlined above and expounded upon in great detail elsewhere.

Objections to the Qatar World Cup have nothing to with prejudice of any flavour. Except perhaps for prejudice against a nation with an appalling record of human rights, where people are dying NOW as a direct result of awarding the World Cup to Qatar, prejudice against an inherently corrupt voting system with a blatantly dishonest outcome, prejudice against either the heath hazards that holding a World Cup at the usual time will cause, or the disruption to European and other football that will result from moving the World Cup.

No I'm sorry, there is nothing good about this. The Qatar World Cup is the outcome of greed, corruption and dishonesty without regard for any but those who are set to make the most profit from the event, namely FIFA and the Qataris, even if in the case of Qatar, the profit might be more about kudos than cash,

Amnesty International recently published a report on workers' rights etc in Qatar. I've only glanced through the report but as you can imagine AI is not too pleased with the progress on rights within Qatar.

http://www.amnesty.org/en/news/qatar-steps-end-migrants-exploitation-ahead-world-cup-woefully-insufficient-2014-11-12

It's just money as BF says. It's not taking the sport to new areas - what's the population of Qatar anyway?

This is a sport ignoring its heartlands (Europe, Africa, Latin and South America) because billions in oil money is being thrown at it.

Qatar is too hot ALL of the time. Dkw is spot on re. H&S of labourers.

Effing FIFA.

Aa BF and others have said it's about money. I read yesterday that the IAAF has chosen Qatar to host the World Athletics Championships in 2019 and that it is likely that the Qataris will bid for the Olympics. 

It's not only football which is moving away from its heartlands for money. Look at Formula 1.

Aa BF and others have said it's about money. I read yesterday that the IAAF has chosen Qatar to host the World Athletics Championships in 2019 and that it is likely that the Qataris will bid for the Olympics.

It's not only football which is moving away from its heartlands for money. Look at Formula 1.

Agreed. The Bahrain GP is farcical really. A small crowd of rich Arabs and expats/tourists, a poor circuit and stupidly blind media coverage. It's apparently ok to crackdown on dissent in Bahrain but not Syria.

It's just money as BF says. It's not taking the sport to new areas - what's the population of Qatar anyway?

This is a sport ignoring its heartlands (Europe, Africa, Latin and South America) because billions in oil money is being thrown at it.

Qatar is too hot ALL of the time. Dkw is spot on re. H&S of labourers.

Effing FIFA.

The best thing for the Qatar world cup would be for israel to qualify, then mr twatter would see how unifying the world cup would be.

The problem is that only the English media is really doing anything about it. Yes other nations are annoyed and there's rumour of FBI getting involved..but no one seems bothered. Lord Triesman was on Sky Sports today saying that he thinks that Garcia has closed the report now and that's it.

There will be some rumblibgs now but Fifa and Qatar will get away with it. In 2022 the world will watch a Qatar world cup and then one day, it will all come out.

The best thing for the Qatar world cup would be for israel to qualify, then mr twatter would see how unifying the world cup would be.

The best thing for the qatar world cup would be for AMERICA AND ISRAEL to qualify and then  sepp twatter would see how unifying the world cup would be! 

The best thing for the qatar world cup would be for AMERICA AND ISRAEL to qualify and then  sepp twatter would see how unifying the world cup would be! 

And the Israeli team should wear their yarmulkes whilst they play. Then the Qataris' heads will surely explode.

Agreed. The Bahrain GP is farcical really. A small crowd of rich Arabs and expats/tourists, a poor circuit and stupidly blind media coverage. It's apparently ok to crackdown on dissent in Bahrain but not Syria.

I saw the very end of the Dubai GP before the Chelsea match today. I noticed it had to be done at night (or is that usually the case with most F1 races?) because it's so bloody hot there.Stupid.

I saw the very end of the Dubai GP before the Chelsea match today. I noticed it had to be done at night (or is that usually the case with most F1 races?) because it's so bloody hot there.Stupid.

It's the Abu Dhabi GP. I'm about 15 minutes away from the track where I sit typing this. Also, they have a full schedule for the entire weekend. You either saw the end of qualifying or part of the GP2 race.

The reason they start later on Sunday is because it is normally a work day. They are ensuring those that bought tickets can make it to the race even if they don't make the rest of the festivities. The F1 race is today, less than 11 hours from now.

http://www.yasmarinacircuit.com/en/formula-1/plan-your-f1/2014-f1-event-schedule

Temps are actually quite pleasant now. Highs are 28 (Celsius) to 30 in the early afternoon. At the time the race starts, temps should be about 22-24. Your statement of being "so bloody hot there" would be accurate if this were July or August when temps hit 45-50.

The plot thickens. All that's going in FIFA will make for a crime novel in years to come. Just need to think of a title. Any ideas?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30228348

Franz Beckenbauer: Fifa inquiry over World Cup selection process

Germany's World Cup-winning captain and coach Franz Beckenbauer is being investigated over his part in picking Russia and Qatar as World Cup hosts.

The 69-year-old was one of 22 men who voted in December 2010 on where the 2018 and 2022 events would be held.

Prospective Fifa presidential candidate Harold Mayne-Nicholls, who led Fifa's pre-decision inspection of the bidding nations, is also under investigation.

Ethics chief Michael Garcia is also investigating three Fifa executives.

All three are current members of the world governing body's executive committee - they are Spain's Angel Maria Villar Llona, Michel D'Hooghe from Belgium and Worawi Makudi from Thailand.

American lawyer Garcia opened formal proceedings against "a number of individuals" last week.

Earlier this month, Fifa published a summary report - which Garcia himself claimed was "incomplete and erroneous" - from his two-year inquiry into the bidding process.

USA should host the WC

Yeah, give the USA another go. They have more purpose-built stadia now thanks to the MLS, better travel infrastructure than Qatar (international airports in almost every major city, and said cities have decent local public transit systems), and whilst football isn't their national sport, they're mad about sports in general. There are a couple of others that would be great candidates (England and Australia come to mind), but USA would be a great one.

It's the Abu Dhabi GP. I'm about 15 minutes away from the track where I sit typing this. Also, they have a full schedule for the entire weekend. You either saw the end of qualifying or part of the GP2 race.

The reason they start later on Sunday is because it is normally a work day. They are ensuring those that bought tickets can make it to the race even if they don't make the rest of the festivities. The F1 race is today, less than 11 hours from now.

http://www.yasmarinacircuit.com/en/formula-1/plan-your-f1/2014-f1-event-schedule

Temps are actually quite pleasant now. Highs are 28 (Celsius) to 30 in the early afternoon. At the time the race starts, temps should be about 22-24. Your statement of being "so bloody hot there" would be accurate if this were July or August when temps hit 45-50.

Whoops, sorry about that. I almost forgot that their workweek is Sunday-Thursday as opposed to Monday-Friday.  My mistake.

Yeah, give the USA another go. They have more purpose-built stadia now thanks to the MLS, better travel infrastructure than Qatar (international airports in almost every major city, and said cities have decent local public transit systems), and whilst football isn't their national sport, they're mad about sports in general. There are a couple of others that would be great candidates (England and Australia come to mind), but USA would be a great one.

Exactly. What Country is ready to host a cup RIGHT NOW? England? Spain, maybe? USA has everything needed to have a successful world cup, plus we have so many nationalities the passion wouldn't be a problem. Bosnians, Mexicans, Americans, etc. It would be the best WC to date.

Exactly. What Country is ready to host a cup RIGHT NOW? England? Spain, maybe? USA has everything needed to have a successful world cup, plus we have so many nationalities the passion wouldn't be a problem. Bosnians, Mexicans, Americans, etc. It would be the best WC to date.

Right now? Germany should be on that list for sure.