Clean Sheets

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Anyone else concerned about our inability to keep clean sheets? Five league matches and a CL game and we still haven't got one. If I never saw a game and compared the team sheet to last season I would be questioning the new goalkeeper, but that's not it, is it? I also don't go with our 'new' style if play leaving us more open. Clean sheets used to be a Chelsea sign of strength, particularly in the trophy winning seasons and I hope we string a few together before long.

We have 1 so far against Leicester, but even in that game we were very open and could easily have conceded a goal or 2. The main reason we aren't keeping clean sheets is because we are more open, the defenders are adjusting after playing a season where we played a bit more defensively and we aren't as aggressive as we were last season. So many times so far this season i have seen our players avoid making tackles, Ivanovic, Cahill and Ramires are the main ones. I don't know why they have changed because i can't see Mourinho telling his players to be less aggressive, being aggressive is part of what makes Mourinho teams so good.

I thought we were a lot better against City though, and even though we still conceded we were far better defensively.

If we continue to outscore the opposition, as we did in the first four games of the season, then clean sheets won't be an issue. At it's most basic the aim of the game is to score more than the opposition, so you could well argue that clean sheets are for statisticians. Twenty-five 0-0 draws = 25 clean sheets and 25 points, Twenty five 2-1 wins = 0 clean sheets and 75 points.

The above is hugely simplistic, I know. But what matters above all is the amount of points we manage to accumulate. Ultimately whether we win by a narrow margin, keeping a series of clean sheets, Everton style 6-3's is secondary to actually winning. I suppose what I'm getting at is that the important thing is to have an effective winning philopophy.

If we continue to outscore the opposition, as we did in the first four games of the season, then clean sheets won't be an issue. At it's most basic the aim of the game is to score more than the opposition, so you could well argue that clean sheets are for statisticians. Twenty-five 0-0 draws = 25 clean sheets and 25 points, Twenty five 2-1 wins = 0 clean sheets and 75 points.

The above is hugely simplistic, I know. But what matters above all is the amount of points we manage to accumulate. Ultimately whether we win by a narrow margin, keeping a series of clean sheets, Everton style 6-3's is secondary to actually winning. I suppose what I'm getting at is that the important thing is to have an effective winning philopophy.

Personally i don't believe we can just keep out scoring teams. There will be days like we had against Schalke where the attack is misfiring, those are the days where we need to keep clean sheets.

Personally i don't believe we can just keep out scoring teams. There will be days like we had against Schalke where the attack is misfiring, those are the days where we need to keep clean sheets.

I agree actually, but what it comes down to on any given day is getting your tactics right to suit the opposition. Stating the obvious, we were never likely to come away with an Everton away like score from the Etihad, so the game plan was to sit back and wait for an opportunity, which we eventually did, but screwed it up by not keeping to the defensive part of the plan.

And another thing (I'm not starting a new topic)... What about our free kicks? No one seems to stand out at the moment now that Luiz and Lampard are gone.

P.S. Not trying to be negative, just missing a few old strengths.

Fabregas, Oscar

Luiz and Lampard were hardly great free kick takers. Mata and Ballack were the best we've had since Zola and Drogs REALLY improved his in the last few years.

I agree with Scott here- it's not enough to rely on our attack in games or else we just invite the reverse problem of last season. We relied heavily on our defense to keep us in games previously but it failed us in the home stretch. Relying on our attack to outscore the opponent is the same problem with a different symptom.

Edited by SydneyChelsea

• 2 weeks later...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Premier_League_goalkeepers_with_100_or_more_clean_sheets

not sure where the chec thread is but that ratio is so impressive. Kind of makes me mad when I hear talkspport daclaring Loris the best keeper in the premiership. If i'm totaly honest if not for the fact that we need to secure TC's future I would have gone with Chec for another season. The international break doesn't help either because the concussion wont matter 

• 2 weeks later...

not sure where the chec thread is but that ratio is so impressive. Kind of makes me mad when I hear talkspport daclaring Loris the best keeper in the premiership. If i'm totaly honest if not for the fact that we need to secure TC's future I would have gone with Chec for another season. The international break doesn't help either because the concussion wont matter

Stopped reading at 'chec'. How on earth can you not know the correct spelling of the most legendary and arguably the greatest keeper in the club's history?

Stopped reading at 'chec'. How on earth can you not know the correct spelling of the most legendary and arguably the greatest keeper in the club's history?

Or maybe the bloke's dyslexic. Did you ever think of that, you doxy bollox twat.

Or maybe the bloke's dyslexic. Did you ever think of that, you doxy bollox twat.

ha!  You took the words right out of my mouth! 

Always better to give people the benefit of the doubt, Baconbutty, especially when you're a Newbie!

If I'm not mistaken the poster you're referring to has said in the past that he's dyslexic.

EDIT: can see that's been pointed out already, I stopped reading after decent discussion got side tracked with personal remarks, again.