Am I the only one? Club direction..

w1llsy

Ive been a Chelsea fan for almost 20 years, I'm from south wales and the reason I supported Chelsea was because of my dad. Because I live so far away I am unable to make a lot of games, and I also just simply cannot afford it. As much as I feel like an armchair fan, not one person will ever tell me I am not a true fan and how much I love this football club.

As everyone will know its been a rollercoaster 15 odd years, and I would say the last 10 have been the best of my life in terms of our success, so for that I cannot speak badly about Roman, he is everything to the club, but I have decided to get opinions of other blues fans about the state of the club at the moment, and this is off the back of what Cesc Fabregas said on Monday night football. Up until then I had heard so many great things about Conte's management skills, his philosophy and ambition. That he likes to bring through youth players into the first team... Cesc was quoted as saying that conte wants immediate success and instant silverware... If this is the case, then I will give the club 5 years to see where we are, and if we are still in the same mess we are in now, I genuinely will reconsider my support of this club.

When Robbie Di Matteo was sacked after winning the champions league, I was disgusted. Why he wasn't given the season to see what he could do was wrong in my opinion... Since then, every manager that has come in has never lasted, much like the ones before Di Matteo...During all this the club has had its success, so we cant complain..

Seeing what has happened to us this season is a disgrace, From champions, to mediocrity at best, is an absolute disgrace. 

I was glad when Jose was sacked, because in my opinion, as much as he has done for the club, he is a fraud. He, along with that A**ehole peter Kenyon, made the statement that Chelsea would be profitable and have a nucleus of young talent coming through the club within 10 years.. Hasn't happened. Jose said he would have failed as a manager if players like Ruben LC, Solanke and Izzy Brown weren't England internationals during his tenure...Guess what, they're nowhere near. 

Only now, when there is nothing to play for, are we seeing these players like RLC and Traore coming into the team... Which is what is wrong with this club. We have the best youth side in Europe, FACT! They've proven it TWICE. I remember watching a pre season friendly about 3 years ago, and the best player on the pitch was Loftus Cheek, he was 17 I think, and I remember thinking this kid is gonna be something special, but deep down I knew he probably wouldn't stand a chance of getting into our first team...

My point is, this club needs a massive re-structure, we spend millions on "superstars", players who are "the finished article" or who have had possibly 2 good seasons playing at a high level, who come into the club on massive wages.. To me, once you secure a contract where you will earn millions upon millions, where is your ambition and hunger to succeed? I could probably name players like Lamps, JT, Zola, among others, who loved playing for the club and giving their all, I don't see that in any player in todays squad other than Willian who gives a Sh*t.

Its no coincidence that I feel this way when you see Leicester and Spurs fighting for the title, and I think this could be the massive shake up football needs, to see the passion, desire, hunger, ambition, dedication to the cause that those clubs are achieving goes to show that you don't need superstars in your team, you need an actual TEAM, players who give their all and fight for each other. These players don't earn half as what the Chelsea players do, so I'm sure they have the hunger to EARN better contracts, which is what needs to happen. The Chelsea board all need to be replaced, with people who know football and what it takes to run a club properly... We potentially have a base of young players who could go on to become full internationals, and with Conte coming in I was hoping Chelsea would accept a trophyless few seasons and build a future for the club using players we have in abundance in the youth set-up, using that philosophy is the only way we can go forward, and stop spending money every time we have a crap season. I could list all the players Chelsea have let go over the years that would slot straight into our current side... But we all know who they are.

I would just like to hear if I am the only one who feels this way, or am I betraying the club by thinking this way? 

I would just like to hear if I am the only one who feels this way, or am I betraying the club by thinking this way? 

Course not. I'm not going to say I agree with everything you've said but you're by no means the only one worried about the direction this club is going.

I've said before there's a massive disconnect between 'the club' and the supporters and I agree with a lot of what you're saying we should do going forward, but the problem is the people running this club don't seem to share those sentiments. You've just got to do what we all do every couple of seasons - get your hopes up that things will be different under the new guy when they probably won't.

I think your frustrations are shared by fans of many clubs.

Clubs are so damn impulsive these days. Beyond Wenger, who is the longest serving PL manager--Martinez, Hughes? And they've been there what, 3 or 4 years? I get it if you're at risk for relegation because of the huge financial implications, but so what if your club slip from 10th to 12th the next season?

They're also impulsive spending money on players, offering them huge salaries and high transfer fees because of one good season or even a couple good games in one tournament.

The players are like that too. One good season and they want to move to a bigger club.

Fans deserve their share of blame too. One poor season and a player should be sold. One poor weekend and a manager should be sacked. The next weekend they perform better, and suddenly the manager is great and the club should do everything to keep the player.

Sometimes I wonder why even have 5 year contracts for managers or players when neither side expect it to last that long.

Exactly. I just feel like now with yet another manager coming in, I'm guessing he will do well to stay for 3 years, why not change our philosophy, build a team, or build the base of a new team with our very exciting youth squad, no pressure and see where it takes us. Otherwise what are we gonna do? Spend £100million every time we have a season like we just have? On the back of becoming champions..

I have to say, this idea that you will reconsider your support contingent on how successful we are in the next five years, having already claimed that the last 10 years have been the best of your life and that you can't speak badly of abramovich... frankly it is lamentable and pathetic.

you say not one person will say you are a true supporter. I mean your definition must be different to mine because I am reading the words of someone cossetted by success. the vast majority of supporters live with nothing like the success we have had and usually they do it in spite of the decision making at their clubs.

never mind describing our best ever manager as a fraud.

do you have a shortlist of clubs that you might support in future or will that depend on which one is the most 'well run' at the time?

Yeah Man City...

I'm a football fan. At times this club does nothing to help itself, manager after manager, the decision to let Terry go is a joke. I find it hard to have the same passion for Chelsea when I see constant lies and excuses from the clubs heirachy about what is right for the club. They havnt got a clue. So much emphasis these days is focused on bringing young talent through, we have the best in the country, and where are they? on loan until theyre 21 odd then sold on to other clubs for us to either buy back or go to Man city for £50 million...

I do feel like a fraud and I never believed I would feel the way I do about Chelsea but the disloyalty it shows sometimes isn't right.

I guess its just my opinion of what I want from the club. Not everyone will agree.

well what I can say is I don't support 'chelsea fc' the company owned by roman abramovich via a shell company.

I support chelsea in a more abstract or elemental way. it is about a shared passion/ history / sense of community / locality / unfolding mythology. I don't see myself as a customer with a brand loyalty to a logo and a shirt colour.

now obviously the corporate entity and what I am trying to describe are both very much related to one another. on the venn diagram it is almost a total eclipse. almost but not quite. I am concerned with how the company is run as it impinges on my support, but it isn't what I support- when a doctor is effectively sacked for doing her job, or a manager is undermined and briefed against from day one, or sacked in the stadium on the final day of the season, or the support faces an electric fence or is priced out in a naked act of economic class warefare or when a player can call someone "a f**king black c**t" without receiving real punishment from the club I can say that it is not in my name. I can continue to support chelsea and not be an apologist for the business being run in a way that embarrasses me. 

Fair enough. I think being from south wales I wouldn't understand that in the way you might. I'm not Involved in match days as I don't get the time off work or afford it, so id imagine if I were connected so closely in going to matches more often then I would see it in the way you do...

What you're seeing is a club run by people who have little or no connection to what Chelsea is, making decisions without having a clue what it means to the supporters. I remember hearing that they were taken aback by the response that Benitez's appointment received, yet ask any Chelsea supporter and they could see it coming a mile off. That came just a couple of years after the CPO fiasco where they tried to undermine one of the most special, unique things about this club.

Arsenal fans say similar things about Kroenke, United fans used to say similar things about the Glazers and the only reason we don't say more about Roman is because he writes massive cheques.

Now there are other issues that go beyond the club. The whole area is changing, some great pubs have disappeared and to be honest the crowd has changed like it has at most clubs.

But we now have people running the club who see supporters as consumers. You're not a fan in the ground, you're a number. How much are you paying for a ticket? How much are you spending on food or drink? How much are you spending in the Megastore? This notion of 'community' is slowly being eroded as are the things that made this club what it was. 

But the new kit has accidentally leaked today so get those pre-orders in and prepare yourself for everything to change under Andre Roberto Jose Antonio Conte.

The current crop of players really annoy me as does certain aspects of the way our club is run. When I was a kid we(mostly) were not very good, all my mates supported Arse, Liverpool, Utd etc and they were winning major trophies whilst we had to make do with the 2nd Division title and promotion. Good days! Sometimes I used to think why do I support this rubbish side, why do I care, but it's not as simple as that. We all love this club through thick and thin, players come and go but we will always be Blue because we can't stop caring about the Club just because of a poor season. I sometimes pretend I don't care about a result but inside I'm fuming. When you're feeling down just watch Didi score the penalty in Munich and remember we really did win the Champions League!!!

We could have the season were having for many years to come and ill always support Chelsea, that being said, based on our policy of bringing through our top talent, it has to be done, its not fair on these boys with so much potential. I'm disillusioned with how the club is run not the results

I agree with everything the OP has said other than losing support for the club. Tbh even if the OP tried to stop supporting the club I bet he couldn't. Easier said than done.

All we need are players who will fight for the club and players with quality. Players like Oscar and sorry to say Willian are just not good enough. We need goalscorers and match winners. Mata and KDB were players of that ilk similar to Zola and Lamps but are now gone.

As for Hazard. He needs another chance. My opinion hasn't changed from 18 months ago that he is the most exciting player I've seen in wearing a blue shirt and I hope he can get back to his best again.

If I was you I would find a club nearer and one you can afford to watch. The affinity you get with your club you would realise you would never want to change.

I grew up in south London and Kent, most of the kids supported Liverpool and then other London clubs. I got teased because late 70s early 80s the team were poor and my mates would tell me how good The scoucers were.

My brother said tell them they like Liverpool not support them, and ask them had they been to Anfield. The point is my team weren't great but it was My team I saw every home game and then aged 12 I was allowed to the odd away game eventually going every week.

I know you can't make it through financial and work reasons, but the thought you could change your team over something you don't like I can't imagine.

It has always been like a soap opera at Chelsea. We aren't that club who are Numero Uno all the time with good decisions and just losing out on trophies due to occasional bad luck (like Bayern or Barca). Before Roman, we were considered the perennial underachievers, a club that everyone loved because we were sure to bottle it when it mattered. After Roman came, we became a force and people started hating us more because we were that good. Honestly, I don't think we can ever come close to the 2005-2007 side under Jose. That side put fear in the hearts of opponents. 

But back to my point, the club doesn't like sustained dominance. They handicapped Jose in his last year with signings similar to this year (remember Pizarro, Sidwell, Boulharouz)? Then when things don't go your way, they push the "individual' to the front, blame him and then reload for next season with big buys. This cycle is infuriating. 

Lets ignore the Scolari and AVB years because frankly I think the whole board was drunk (to be fair, I had high expectations of AVB). Carlo was again a step in the right direction. He wasn't perfect but we won the title with flair. We could have given him more to develop in his 2nd year but no, the club wants to make it more challenging for other sides and give him nothing in the transfer window. Carlo being the nice guy carrys on and we finish 2nd but still another "individual" is sacked. 

I had frankly lost all hope that our club will have a long term manager at that time and all the managers after Carlo seemed short term to me. I finally thought we had turned a corner when Roman ate his ego and got back Jose. Our owner had realized that he was wrong all along and he had to back the manager till the end. He saw the light. Who best to bring back than the best manager we have ever had? It was a marriage made in heaven.  But no, that was short lived again. We win, get complacent, sack manager. The cycle continues. 

There is something rotten at the board level. There is never support for a manager. It is like he works in isolation where he gets instructions from the board. Jose had a little more leeway because of the crowd support and the fact that he was our most successful manager but that wasn't enough to save his job.

Frankly, I have no hope now. Conte might be successful for a year, might be fighting to keep us afloat due to constant board interference (Emenalo throwing bobby pins at him during team meetings) in another year and finally we will have the smug "palpable discord" line coming from the club. I will keep supporting the club even if we are relegated (I asked myself that question in December this year) but I do not harbor any expectations to be called in the same breath as the Bayerns and Barcas pf the world anymore. We have the potential to be there but will never realize it.

You say you're a true fan, but saying you would stop supporting the club is not what a true fan does, no matter how bad things get. To me, you're not a true fan and i don't really see how you can say that you are. The board and owner aren't the club as a whole, they are part of the club. In the future, they will be gone, but the club, it's history and it's fans will remain, that is the Chelsea you should be supporting.

This season has been awful from start to finish, but it's one bad season in over a decade of great seasons. 99.9% of clubs have had it far worse than us and their fans haven't turned their back on their club, those are true fans.  If i ever gave up on football, i could never switch to another football team, anybody that does is not a true fan, they are glory hunters. It's fine if you want to be a glory hunter, all top teams have them, but don't say you are a true fan when you quite clearly are not.

I agree with a lot of what you said though, the club is being badly run with far too many mistakes being made. The problems have been there for many years, the difference now is that we don't have the players to paper over the cracks. When we had Drogba, Lampard, Cech, Cole and a younger Terry, they could take the focus away from what was going on behind the scenes because they were brilliant footballers. We don't have that anymore though, we have mentally weak players with poorer attitudes than the last lot we had.

It has always been like a soap opera at Chelsea. We aren't that club who are Numero Uno all the time with good decisions and just losing out on trophies due to occasional bad luck (like Bayern or Barca). Before Roman, we were considered the perennial underachievers, a club that everyone loved because we were sure to bottle it when it mattered. After Roman came, we became a force and people started hating us more because we were that good. Honestly, I don't think we can ever come close to the 2005-2007 side under Jose. That side put fear in the hearts of opponents. 

But back to my point, the club doesn't like sustained dominance. They handicapped Jose in his last year with signings similar to this year (remember Pizarro, Sidwell, Boulharouz)? Then when things don't go your way, they push the "individual' to the front, blame him and then reload for next season with big buys. This cycle is infuriating. 

Lets ignore the Scolari and AVB years because frankly I think the whole board was drunk (to be fair, I had high expectations of AVB). Carlo was again a step in the right direction. He wasn't perfect but we won the title with flair. We could have given him more to develop in his 2nd year but no, the club wants to make it more challenging for other sides and give him nothing in the transfer window. Carlo being the nice guy carrys on and we finish 2nd but still another "individual" is sacked. 

I had frankly lost all hope that our club will have a long term manager at that time and all the managers after Carlo seemed short term to me. I finally thought we had turned a corner when Roman ate his ego and got back Jose. Our owner had realized that he was wrong all along and he had to back the manager till the end. He saw the light. Who best to bring back than the best manager we have ever had? It was a marriage made in heaven.  But no, that was short lived again. We win, get complacent, sack manager. The cycle continues. 

There is something rotten at the board level. There is never support for a manager. It is like he works in isolation where he gets instructions from the board. Jose had a little more leeway because of the crowd support and the fact that he was our most successful manager but that wasn't enough to save his job.

Frankly, I have no hope now. Conte might be successful for a year, might be fighting to keep us afloat due to constant board interference (Emenalo throwing bobby pins at him during team meetings) in another year and finally we will have the smug "palpable discord" line coming from the club. I will keep supporting the club even if we are relegated (I asked myself that question in December this year) but I do not harbor any expectations to be called in the same breath as the Bayerns and Barcas pf the world anymore. We have the potential to be there but will never realize it.

About as comprehensive a recent history of Chelsea you could get to be honest. Perfect.

Football clubs for me work best when the board and the talent/coaches work in concert. The partnerships of Dein/Wenger, Gill/Fergie, Laporta/Begristain/Guardiola are what I'm thinking of, but it seems under Roman (and even under Bates at times) there's a constant conflict.

I think we've got to start asking questions of Roman. He won't answer because that's not what he does, but we need to start having an honest debate about him.

We need to start from a position of acknowledging that he isn't a Chelsea supporter. He's a guy who bought this club and may have come to appreciate it over time, but him being here seems at best a business decision and at worst a lucky coin flip, a fluke of chance, a lottery win if you will. Maybe he understands this club in some way, but there's plenty of evidence to suggest he's not got a clue. His two redeeming qualities are his vast wealth and his willingness to spend it and that insulates him from a lot of criticism. Maybe that needs to change.

This is what happens when you start supporting a club in a golden era.

Luckily for me I started in the very early 80's, smack bang in the middle of the period between us winning our 1st and 2nd FA cup final wins, otherwise know as the dark ages, imagine it, 20+ years with no significant silverware.

If we all had your attitude back then, nobody would be left to support us.

CTID

Some of you are misunderstanding, in hindsight my statement about thinking about my support for the club was probably wrong but I've spent my whole adolescent and adult life idolising this club and its players and to see us almost back to square 1 again, I.e yet another manager with yet another task to rebuild a TEAM... It frustrates the hell out of me. It's been over 10 years since Roman took over we should not be in this

Position. I will never stop supporting Chelsea its in my blood, I just wanted opinions from other fans if I'm just thinking alone on the way things are. Golden era or not, it's about the progression the club is making when we have a bottom less pit of money. In terms of structure and creating our own superstars within the club, we have the facilities.

Some of you are misunderstanding, in hindsight my statement about thinking about my support for the club was probably wrong but I've spent my whole adolescent and adult life idolising this club and its players and to see us almost back to square 1 again, I.e yet another manager with yet another task to rebuild a TEAM... It frustrates the hell out of me. It's been over 10 years since Roman took over we should not be in this

Position. I will never stop supporting Chelsea its in my blood, I just wanted opinions from other fans if I'm just thinking alone on the way things are. Golden era or not, it's about the progression the club is making when we have a bottom less pit of money. In terms of structure and creating our own superstars within the club, we have the facilities.

I think most of us are frustrated and I think most people have said things in our lives that we regret saying. Like I said I don't agree with everything you said but I can empathise with where it came from which is why I tried not to jump on you for it. We all have bad days and being a Chelsea supporter has seen us have more of those than most recently

So you're not alone in being frustrated. I'm not going to get into an argument on who here is a 'proper supporter' because it's not really my place to judge that. I have my own opinions but I don't really feel the need to tell others how to support this club (when it comes to the owner of the club it's a little different because of how he arrived here, but I might be wrong on that front too). I'm certainly by no means perfect which is why I try and empathise with people in moments of weakness because lord knows we have them.

What I'll say is that you'll probably get over it though. You'll get caught up in the excitement of the new season like every supporter does, because it's like a drug. For me watching the youth team brings it all home about what supporting this club is about because that's nothing but unrefined hope and potential.

And there's always that hope that the club has learned from it's mistakes, that next year will be different, that they'll start rebuilding this club's identity rather than dismantling one brick at a time. Fingers crossed.

BTW, not seen you post before so don't know if you're new or not and if you are it's probably been a rough introduction but this is a good little community to be honest. Hope you stick around.

We just have some bad eggs in this team, rotten eggs that need thrown away. Prima donnas like Hazard who will never give 100% in every game. Those types of attitudes we can do without. Our youth team is there and players are SLLLLLOOOOOOOWWWLY coming through. Loftus Cheek getting there.

A few class 1 eggs and a bit of patience and we will be back in the big time.

Conte will come in and hopefully put it right. Grill them from the start, give them hell and get this team up the table again where we belong.

So many supporters are fixated on this Fergie-like managerial stability.

I just don't understand it.  Any club from any sport in the world will basically show you that that is an anomaly.  

I'm of the opinion that the best clubs should almost have a consistent managerial turnover, because those associated with the club  or the sport want to have a  part in the success.  Of course, you will get the anomaly which I'm fine with, but I'm not too worried about having a new manager every three years.. I'm fairly sure that would exceed the league average?

i don't really like the ruckus caused when the manager is sacked however, so I'm not saying I support the that whole media driven agenda.

I'm happy with our direction, we've lost a little swagger but I'm confident we'll get it back.

So many supporters are fixated on this Fergie-like managerial stability.

I just don't understand it.  Any club from any sport in the world will basically show you that that is an anomaly.  

I'm of the opinion that the best clubs should almost have a consistent managerial turnover, because those associated with the club  or the sport want to have a  part in the success.  Of course, you will get the anomaly which I'm fine with, but I'm not too worried about having a new manager every three years.. I'm fairly sure that would exceed the league average?

i don't really like the ruckus caused when the manager is sacked however, so I'm not saying I support the that whole media driven agenda.

I'm happy with our direction, we've lost a little swagger but I'm confident we'll get it back.

Which clubs are you referring to? 

I'm not saying what you're suggesting can't work because it can, but don't those clubs have an ingrained culture or philosophy that provides the stability? Where does that actually exist at the moment within this club?

For me it's probably Roman and that's the problem because he seems to change his mind a bit which means we seem to be in constant upheaval. Which clubs' models are you referring to?

Which clubs are you referring to? 

I'm not saying what you're suggesting can't work because it can, but don't those clubs have an ingrained culture or philosophy that provides the stability? Where does that actually exist at the moment within this club?

For me it's probably Roman and that's the problem because he seems to change his mind a bit which means we seem to be in constant upheaval. Which clubs' models are you referring to?

It exists entirely in the history the clubs has, the large and loyal supporter base, the thousands of people who work for Chelsea in a footballing and not footballing aspect, the players (it's not always about the seniors, RLC has been at the club for 12 years), the owner (not many clubs have a boss who's relationship with the club extends beyond a business deal).  These remain, in part, long after a manager has left.

It's everywhere.

The anomalies I mentioned would be the Fergie Man United, the Jerry Sloan Utah Jazz, the Arbour New York ice hockey team.. I can't think of any others at the moment, but my point is they are rare.  I would love to have one, but I'm not worried if we don't.

It exists entirely in the history the clubs has, the large and loyal supporter base, the thousands of people who work for Chelsea in a footballing and not footballing aspect, the players (it's not always about the seniors, RLC has been at the club for 12 years), the owner (not many clubs have a boss who's relationship with the club extends beyond a business deal).  These remain, in part, long after a manager has left.

Ok, my personal view is that Roman is so dominant that none of the rest of the voices really have much power in that room, but I'll set that to one side for the moment.

What is Chelsea's philosophy of football?

I'm sure people here could tell you what 'the United way' is, what the 'Liverpool way' is, what Arsenal have been over the last two decades, what Barcelona is, what Atletico is and what Bayern might even be.

What's our's?

Archived