Oppo players you would have liked to have seen play for us and why?

Cobham

This question was inspired by a documentary I was watching on YouTube tonight, 'Keane and Viera - Best of Enemies' (which I thoroughly recommend, it was very good).

They were both such great players and I would have loved to have seen either of them playing for us so it got me thinking about that, which opposition players I would have really loved to have had in our sides. So the game is you can choose either one player from each decade going back as far as you like or maybe one player for each particular side (i.e John Neal's, Hollins's, Porterfield's, Vialli's etc.)

My choices would be:

The sides of 79-83. Anyone, anyone at all, lol. Pick anyone from a thousand candidates.

For the promotion team of 83-84 I think they would have benefited from a really good all round midfielder so I'm going for Souness. We were great up front - Nevin, Speedie, Dixon were as good if not better than anyone else's forward lines - and the defence was not bad either with Patesy and Big Joe and Eddie (though a full back or two was where our real weakness lay). Despite that need for full backs I think it might be fair to say that Johnny B and Spackers were maybe not quite up to the standard we needed then. I thought the signing of Hazard gave us the extra guile at the time but Souness had the lot, tough guy but could play a bit too. That team was maybe 3 players short of winning the league in '86, the full backs and that midfielder.

I would have loved Gascoigne to have been with us from 87 onward instead of Spurs. I don't think he would have made that team win the league or anything like that, they were further off than that previous promotion squad (imo) and one player wouldn't have made enough difference, but the football would have improved and it would have been so enjoyable to watch. It's an obvious thing to say but he would have been such a hero and a hit to us back then, he would have fitted right in with our crowd and would have been a good fit for the club at that time, we probably would have failed but in true Chelsea fashion we would have done it with some style.

In Hoddle's then Ruud's teams I would have liked to have seen Roy Keane who I would pick as the one player we could have done with in the 90s if I could only pick one. The bloke was a winner and a very good player and I think he would have sorted out the attitude and help change the mentality of the club as it transitioned into being winners rather than underachievers.

For Gianluca's side it's fairly easy. We could and maybe would have won the league in 99 if it hadn't been for injuries to our goalscorers - Casiraghi, Flo, Poyet - so I would go for Shearer. Guaranteed goals. I think he would have seen us over the line that year.

In Ranieri's teams I would say we were good up front (Jimmy and Eidur) but once again maybe lacking in defence and midfield. I think you'd be pretty crazy not going for Viera during that period. We might have won a cup or to more with him in that team and probably would have finished a little higher up the league table than those two 6th places we had before the buy out.

So it looks like I'm all about the central midfielders, the all rounders.

I'd be really interested to hear from some of our older fans about their picks from the 60s and 70s. I've heard a few times that Georgie Best always said he would have liked to have played for us if he hadn't been at United. Would you choose him for the entertaining football or was there someone else who maybe could have maybe transformed that late 60s/early 70s side into a more complete one? 

Malcolm MacDonald slipped through the net.

He was a Fulham boy who went to school in Chelsea. He was spotted playing non-league by Bobby Robson, and quickly moved between Fulham and Luton to Newcastle where he really made a name for himself.

He was all pace and power with two good feet. I reckon he could have formed a lethal partnership with Peter Osgood and Charlie Cook. 

Edited by Ewell CFC

so so many......not going into why as if you dont know any of these you cant have it explained......These are just a smattering....No specific order....DEREK DOUGAN..........CHARLIE GEORGE...........MARTIN CHIVERS........ALAN CLARKE........RODNEY MARSH..........MICKEY QUINN.........JOE ROYAL........Ive had enough...i could go on for ages....But i think youll get the gist of eras and the many great players around

Matt Le Tissier for me. Would have been great to have got him when Hoddle was our Manager - we were linked with him one summer.

Although I admired his loyalty, if he were playing now, there is no way he would have remained at Southampton for all those seasons.

1 minute ago, Nibs said:

Matt Le Tissier for me. Would have been great to have got him when Hoddle was our Manager - we were linked with him one summer.

Although I admired his loyalty, if he were playing now, there is no way he would have remained at Southampton for all those seasons.

Good shout forgot about him, saw a sky documentary with Gary Neville, some of the goal he scored!!!!

7 hours ago, LiamNeeson said:

Remember Jennings played in the 70s, I don't think he would have enjoyed playing at Stamford Bridge, he probably enjoyed Arsenal and Tottenham because they had a large Irish-Londoner following, 1st and 2nd gen Irish Catholics. 

Yeah I accept that.

I just remember being amazed, even as a ten year old back in the summer of 1977 when he moved from Spuds to Arsenal !

Purely from an entertaining football position, and ignoring the associations they have that mean I will now need to go and scrub myself down with bleach,  Stan Bowles and/or Rodney Marsh.  

Yeah, great question, could go on for ages.

Must admit my first thought was Dimitar Berbatov.

Also a couple of flair players that i have personally witnessed beat us single handed back in the day, Trevor Brooking and Tony Currie. 

Many good shouts above already, like Bowles, Le Tissier and Malcolm MacDonald. Charlie George too. 

I would not have said we ever really needed a goalie, we have always had good ones, but Pat Jennings would have to be up there. 

We probably needed a centre half in that 1970 team, maybe Jack Charlton, I cant think of too many others off hand. 

I recall we almost signed Paul McGrath once, that would have been good.