Chelsea - how far will they go?

Stewartd7

It would be a tall order under a new regime and that would be the case whoever was in charge but if some of the fringe players buck their games up and we dont rely so heavily on Drogs and Lamps anything is possible.

I see no reason we have less chance now than under Jose and look forward to some exiting games

For CL you never know, for me its more like a gamble whos gonna win CL, there are to many good teams to be able to tell and the smaller clubs have gotten better. I mean Liverpool were in the finals and won against us in the semis. Who would ever think something like that could ever happen.I was excited cause we got Liverpool there thought it would be easy, but no off course.

As some has already mentioned you don't have to be the best to win.

You have to be the best for the day when it is time to play. And with luck with injuries (while the opponents might be unlucky) who knows what could happen?

I think alot is down to luck. Luck with opponents, luck with injuries, luck with cards (don't want Drogba banned in vital games), luck with form etc.

Of course you also need a good team and perhaps even a manager who can make those perfect choices. JM did it many times (and many times he didn't), not sure about Avram though. I'm still not convinced.

Hopefully he can prove me wrong and win this for us icon_wink.gif

You need an element of luck to win this competition, but also need to be able to defend.

Sitting your back four just infront of your box and hoping the opposition don't score like we did in Germany and yesterday againstr Everton just cannot be relied upon to keep a clean sheet. Remeber away goals are double in the knock-out stages.

I'll never expect or demand us to win it- I love watching us play in the camp nou, the san siro, in munich and the mestalla... it's great for us to go to these places and play these teams... it's a competition I really enjoy because personally I have no expectation.... I think we've done great in the champions league almost every time.

I think anything past the quarters would be considered a success. I think that's as far as we will get.

I agree with that.

When Grant was appointed manager/coach (or whatever the hell he calls himself) I stated that we wouldn't win anything this season, and nothing I've seen so far has made me change my mind. We've had some good results and some good performances, but that's more to do with the quality of our squad than anything the new boss has done. We've also had one appalling performance (against Schalke), and a tactical f*ck-up against Everton, where Grant waited far too long to make changes - not to mention the fact he had three strikers on the bench, which severely hampered his ability to change the tactics effectively.

I thought his appointment was an embarrassment, and can't see us winning anything with him in charge - unless he was to sit back and just be a figurehead, and leave playing matters to Ten Cate and Clarkey.

As some has already mentioned you don't have to be the best to win.

You have to be the best for the day when it is time to play. And with luck with injuries (while the opponents might be unlucky) who knows what could happen?

I think alot is down to luck. Luck with opponents, luck with injuries, luck with cards (don't want Drogba banned in vital games), luck with form etc.

Of course you also need a good team and perhaps even a manager who can make those perfect choices. JM did it many times (and many times he didn't), not sure about Avram though. I'm still not convinced.

Hopefully he can prove me wrong and win this for us icon_wink.gif

I agree. But I think it is too easy to lean on luck factor. Luck with injuries is one thing. If you get injured when someone just crashes your legs from behind it is clear case, but if you get injured in training before a big game that could be because; player is under lot of pressure and the body reacts on that a.k.a. stress. My point is that you have to be physically ready and most of all mentally ready to play those games.

Another thing is with cards. There is lot to do with luck in there as well, but if you are under heavy pressure in the game you get cards more easy. If you are a cool headed professional and can use the pressure for your benefit you are more likely to continue with no suspensions.

But in Chelsea's case I think our players are ready to win CL. We just need the luck! badge.gif

Hope the team can prove me wrong, but IMO we will be lucky to get to the semis. We have a manger who has no proven expereince at top level and yet to prove anyone with his decision making. We had a good team, but no real match winner. We have depth in our team, but not great. Losing a Terry or Carvalho, we are going to conceded against top European teams. Losing Drogba and we aren't going to steal a goal. We can't have Sheva sitting on the bench on CL nights, the game is made for him and the very reason we bought him was to win the CL..

I Really don't see sucess for us in the CL this season as i fear we will struggle against the big teams. We were tbh played off the park against Shalke, failed to beat Rosenborg at the Bridge and our only real result was against a poor Valencia team. Even in the Premiership we we couldnt close out a simple game against Everton. its inevitable icon_wink.gif we will draw Barca at some point and its against teams like Barcelona where we will stuggle. I have no confidence in AG's tactical ability as right now he seems more content with trying to impress than building a stable base to improve upon as shown at the weekend. As soon as the CL hits the knock out phase it all becomes a tactical game and quite frankly that scares me with Avram icon_sad.gif As you can see i'm not to optimistic icon_rolleyes.gif

I believe we can win it but I don't think we will. Let's face it, if those Scouse gits could nick it a couple of years or so ago, anything's possible.

We -Jose, the players, fans, media - may well have underestimated Rosenborg, but then I can't believe how bad we were away to Shalke. I'd like to think that was a one off. But then you have to ask yourself (or at least I do) what the hell kind of excuse is there for conceding 3 goals at home to Leicester? Different squad selection, different competitions? So what, same club same management - same or very similar near disaster.

I'll be disappointed if we don't qualify for the knockout stages. And if we do, it's not that different from any other cup competition. So yes we can win it. But probably not this season.

It is not the quality that matters if we are talking about Chelsea. We have had the quality in terms of footballing skills for many years now. At the moment I think we have as good chance of winning it as any other team. There is really no superside at the moment. ManU and Real are the best at the moment IMO, but I can see us winning either of those sides on a good day. Few years back when Barca won it, it looked like all year they are going to win it. At the moment there is no such side.

Yeah it's ok saying you need luck to win it, because every team needs luck in any cup competition but luck isn't anywhere near enough, you need to have quality, tactical awareness and yes luck but is luck enough to win it? No. Do we have have the quality? Its debatable, but can Avram Grant go toe to toe with the best managers in europe and outsmart them? I don't think so, well from what i've seen so far anyway.

Yeah it's ok saying you need luck to win it, because every team needs luck in any cup competition but luck isn't anywhere near enough, you need to have quality, tactical awareness

Tell that to Fat Rafa and Stevie Me, they did fine without it

Haha i'm not going to sit and argue on the scums behalf but they didnt win it all on luck icon_wink.gif but obviously they needed a massive amount of luck to reach a Champions League final without scoring in the semi 300.gif I'ts quite sad how they also had to abandon everyother competition to get there icon_lol.gif But you do have to(grudgingly) admit that they did put in a few quality performances, and the guy with the goatee does know his tactics icon_rolleyes.gif

Animation2.gifscarf.gif

Haha i'm not going to sit and argue on the scums behalf but they didnt win it all on luck icon_wink.gif but obviously they needed a massive amount of luck to reach a Champions League final without scoring in the semi 300.gif I'ts quite sad how they also had to abandon everyother competition to get there icon_lol.gif But you do have to(grudgingly) admit that they did put in a few quality performances, and the guy with the goatee does know his tactics icon_rolleyes.gif

Animation2.gifscarf.gif

NEVER!! 247.gif

Archived