If you had to choose CFC player of the season now...........

Nibs
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

It's a pretty difficult one and possibly reflects how most of our players have done okay here and there without any of them excelling. I cannot think of one player who has been truly consistently good.

I guess it will be refreshing that it if things continue in the current vain, player of the season won't go to one of the usual suspects this time around - JT / Lamps / Drogba. Even Cech and Essien will probably be out of the frame what with loss of form and missed games. Perhaps Anelka could have a good shout if he settles in quickly and provides what we have been lacking up to now?

Here's what I reckon currently:

Contender:

Carvalho

Bridge

Beletti

Alex

Signs are good but still need more from them:

SWP

Joey

Ballack

Ashley

Obi Mikel

Sinclair

Non contender due to injury and/or lack of form:

JT

Lamps

Drogba

Cech

Carlo

Hilario

Maka

Essien

Ben Hiam

Kalou

Paulo

Malouda

Good luck at your next club:

Sheva

Pizarro

Sidwell

Not many stand out so far, it really has been a squad effort due to all the injuries and so on...I may just give it to Alex as he has made the most impressive impact considering not much was expected and he really has played consistently at a high level...Carvalho has missed too many games to give it to him...

But with four months to go I'm sure the candidates will really become clear cut, it depends obviously on what we do trophy wise

It's a pretty difficult one and possibly reflects how most of our players have done okay here and there without any of them excelling. I cannot think of one player who has been truly consistently good.

I guess it will be refreshing that it if things continue in the current vain, player of the season won't go to one of the usual suspects this time around - JT / Lamps / Drogba. Even Cech and Essien will probably be out of the frame what with loss of form and missed games. Perhaps Anelka could have a good shout if he settles in quickly and provides what we have been lacking up to now?

Here's what I reckon currently:

Contender:

Carvalho

Bridge

Beletti

Alex

Signs are good but still need more from them:

SWP

Joey

Ballack

Ashley

Obi Mikel

Sinclair

Non contender due to injury and/or lack of form:

JT

Lamps

Drogba

Cech

Carlo

Hilario

Maka

Essien

Ben Hiam

Kalou

Paulo

Malouda

Good luck at your next club:

Sheva

Pizarro

Sidwell

i think some of that Norfolk air has been affecting you Nibs! Sinclair a possible candidate for player of the year so far? or SWP? or Joey? With the best will in the world there are players in your last list that have contributed more than those three. Kalou, Drogba, Essien, Lamps, JT. I'm not saying that they have excelled by any means but I'd still rate them well ahead of those three.

My choice as of today would be Carvalho

id love to say carvalho, but he was too injured. when he played, yes he rose to JT's status out of neccessity. his wild portugese tackling aside, ricki was like a defensive demon - i loved it biggrin.gif

however he hasnt figured consistently enough to be my man of the 1st half of the season.

Alex has blossomed from a bit of a liability into the fearsome beast he was at PSV, the guy is a nightmare and exactly the guy yould want covering JT's spot. his howitzer free kicks are a delight to watch (especially the wall's fearsome faces what joy).

Bridge has been the man we know he is, so i cant say him really, because he just had ashley cole in his way before. Now hes getting games, hes playing well as he should...

Joey, no. not enough, yet. he has bags of effort and tries the hardest when the rest of the team look lacklustre, but he hasnt set the prem alight this year. certainly no cristiano ronaldo is he? lets be fair.

SWP... swp swp swp.... he is a close candidate. i love to watch him go on his good days which in fairness have been more frequent. makes fullbacks look like statues, and those goals hes put away have been special. But his bad days are just...

Ballack looks to be able to show us in the 2nd half what made him such a fearsome asset to Munich and i await this with growing confidence.

Lamps. before his injury he was doing very well. as captain maybe he didnt really lead the team like JT but he was the obvious talent in the side. no one was as good as lamps and how much did he run? lamps shouldnt be a box to box midfielder but he is. as playmaker, passer, ball winner, goalscorer and captain he was doing it all. come back quick lamps!

Kalou - now hes a tough one. he seems too lightweight but theres a surprising hardness to him. hes not afraid of a little rough and tumble on the pitch is he? and he doest muck around with going down unless he thinks its a better call than a shot on goal. if his accuracy was more honed, which it certainly could be with experience, he could be the strike parter to Drogs. lets rememeber he is mostly played on his own which is so wrong its untrue and still managed a few goals. i like the cut of his jib so to speak and although i know he has his detractors, hes a stong candidate for my man of the 1st half.

Like Mikel, another kid who is coming along in leaps and bounds. his composure with the ball is becoming very makelele. he wins it and gives it. no messing. i certainly see the point in wrenching him from the grasp of his crooked agent and Man U.

Essien sort of hasnt been the man he was, but im not worried there. that sort of guy doesnt get crap he just gets old. and hes a long way from that :scouser: the man is a beast and talented too - so while hes in midfield with a proper role to play which he never gets to keep, hell be a 1st teamer im sure.

however, above all of those players, my man of the season so far is a towering giant of football. a stalwart who perfoms admirably under difficult circumstances. An asset to any side, and one of our finest men. clap2.gif give it up for HIIIIIILAAAAAAAAAARIOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! woohoo.gifwoohoo.gif

247.gif

Its got to be Drogba doesn't it?..........

I mean yes his missed a few games, but when his been on the park his been consistently our most threatening attacker and has saved our bacons many times this season.

I mean, we can all complain about his antics (on and off the field) and his desire to leave the club, but his performances on the pitch have been top class.

Guest Brian M

There have been so few stand out performances this season (due to JM leaving I suspect) that I don't really think anyone deserves it at this moment in time.

If I had to pick someone, I'd probably go with SWP.

(It'd be interesting to tally up who has one our Man of the Match votes the most so far this season - Loz?)

At the moment our Brazilians are pretty much the players who have been consistently good. Kalou has been consistent and okay but I just dont think he has done enough to earn that title... Alex or Belletti for me!

At the end of the season I'm am guessing it is going to be Ballack. He has the element of positive surprise with him.

There have been so few stand out performances this season (due to JM leaving I suspect) that I don't really think anyone deserves it at this moment in time.

If I had to pick someone, I'd probably go with SWP.

(It'd be interesting to tally up who has one our Man of the Match votes the most so far this season - Loz?)

They are all listed here for domestic games

http://www.theshedend.com/07-08-fixtures-results.html (QPR, Everton in LEague CUp and Spurs ones not updated yet - you can get them from the threads)

and here for CL

http://www.theshedend.com/07-08-champions-league-2.html

Personally I would give it to the prson who has been most consistent and has performed above expectations and on that criteria I would give it to Alex.

SWP and Belletti have both impressed more than anyone probably expected them to but they have both also had some real stinkers whereas Alex has been very reliable in every performance.

i think some of that Norfolk air has been affecting you Nibs! Sinclair a possible candidate for player of the year so far? or SWP? or Joey? With the best will in the world there are players in your last list that have contributed more than those three. Kalou, Drogba, Essien, Lamps, JT. I'm not saying that they have excelled by any means but I'd still rate them well ahead of those three.

My choice as of today would be Carvalho

Norfolk air is just fine - although it was f**king windy last night - thought we were gonna loose a few tiles but thankfully didn't.

I'm not saying Sinclair is anywhere near being a contended for CFC player of the season. I was just saying he hasn't disappointed as his chances have been few and far between, but when he has been given a chance he looks decent enough and hasn't been crap.

I know you are not a big Joe fan and probably not SWP either? But of late, with many big names missing, these two are starting to cause the opposition a lot of problems. They are linking up well and both chipping in with goals and assists. I can't agree that Lamps and JT have contributed more as both have been missing for a while now and most agree that even before then, they were nowhere near their best. Essien, Drogba and Kalou will all obviously be effected by pissing off to the ANC, but again -perhaps Drogba aside, they haven't been playing at their best. I know Kalou has scored a few (but missed a lot, lot more) and the stats will show he has assists, but I can only go by what I see with my own eyes and for me, at the moment anyway, he isn't great.

If I had to pick one player right now, I would go for Beletti. Like his attitude and enthusiasm and he bombs down that right touchline like a 20 year old. He had one nightmare game and didn't do great for the Cahill Everton goal, but other than that the bloke has been a pleasant surprise.

It's kinda ironic that the defence as a unit hasn't been great this season and yet my four best players to date are all defenders. No doubt then that the midfielders and strikers need to step up a few gears (and yes I include Joe in that icon_wink.gif )

For me, it's a toss up between Alex and SWP. I think the majority of fans see SWP's contribution more easily, but I have to say that considering the injuries to Cech, Cudicini, JT and Carvalho at various times of the season, Alex has held us together with some solid performances. He isn't perfect, BUT he's stepped up to the plate for us and kept us in it.

Carvalho has been great for a long while now, but he's not been an ever present for us the same way Alex has this season.

Cheers,

Butch

I agree Butch, for a 3rd string CB he has done incredibly well since called on. If we look at how much we paid for him, and how well he has done when playing, I think that he is in with a very plausible shout for MVP of the season thus far. Carvalho is also a great shout, but his injuries and couple rash challenges may prevent him from taking home the award.

SWP has certainly become more influential this season, but I would also say Kalou has been effective too

Scott

Tough to pick one now but Carv is just class and has been outstanding when he's played .

SWP is playing well , but needs to be a bit more consistent although on his current form you cant reallt leave him out. Alex , improved with every game , Essien , well, he's THE player we need every week along with J.T.

I'll go for Carv & Essien , award each i say .

I agree, Ian, that we do need them both; however, I thought that this was about player of the season so far, and I feel JT has been out through injury (thus making Alex even more valuable) and Essien has hardly had the best season (comparative to previous seasons)

Scott

mad Mac said MVP!! They won't let you back into Mull now. Barely out of the UK for the blink of an eye and he's already speaking like Mannyjello - it will be high fives and chest bumps all round by the end of the year.

Can't beleive SWP is so high on peoples lists. Yes his been good..........lately. But his only really come good in the last few weeks.

I beleive even the much maligned Kalou has been a better player than SWP over the full course of the season thus far.

Actually SWP started the seaosn on fire, then dipped a bit when he found himself in and out of the team again, and then he picked up again.

"on fire" might just be stretching it a teensy bit! He had a decent start playing out wide followed by a relapse to "absolutely pants". He has since had two very good games in the inside right position. It will be interesting to see how he fares out wide again when Lamps comes back this weekend.

mad Mac said MVP!! They won't let you back into Mull now. Barely out of the UK for the blink of an eye and he's already speaking like Mannyjello - it will be high fives and chest bumps all round by the end of the year.

HOT DANG, and here was me thinkin' none of y'all would notice!!!! Damn Limey, I would hardly call 8 years in the US the "blink of an eye"