Charlton Heston has died

loz

Can't say I ever liked him much as a person (granted I never actually met him!) so no point in going down the route of praising him just because he has died however a massive name in the film world so thought I would create a thread about it.

gun supporting repubican, not to be messed with having similar beliefs as John Wayne aka Marion Morrison.

He made Maggie Thatcher appear to be a left wing lady and would have fitted in well with the army of Attila the Hun, A great supporter of Reagan as president which probably says it all.

He did make a few well-remembered films and won the oscar for Ben-Hur.

Enough said.

Good actor maybe, but I never felt the same about him after he took his NRA "cold dead hands" speech to a town, which at the time had recently witnessed the youngest victim of a school killing. What a c**t. Rot in hell.

Must admit I side more with Lofty than Chippy on this one. If there is an 'up' and a 'down' button on the escalator once we shuffle off this bloody wet planet I hope the 'Down' button is pressed firmly for Heston and it is a spike rather than fluffy cloud that waits for him.

Peace is not something I would grant him.

Must admit I side more with Lofty than Chippy on this one. If there is an 'up' and a 'down' button on the escalator once we shuffle off this bloody wet planet I hope the 'Down' button is pressed firmly for Heston and it is a spike rather than fluffy cloud that waits for him.

Peace is not something I would grant him.

Don't know anything about him Loz except he ran about a bit when faced by people in monkey suits, my misus enjoyed that and he's dead now so as he never personally caused me any harm...I wish him peace.

oh and "wet planet" mate it's 4 inche's of Snow Where I am icon_lol.gif

EDIT

Just checked out what lofty said about the Cold dead hands speech,

also saw a clip on youtube...changed my views slightly and my missus reaction..."what a tosser"

I stand corrected.

Actually ... I'm not sure but maybe I was a little hasty earlier. Heston had been suffering from Alzheimer's, and there is at least a possibility that the NRA were using him, which would be very easy for them to do, given the nature of the condition. This isn't to say that Heston didn't know what he was saying, but there is a strong possibility that he didn't know why he was saying it - in other words, it could be that as far as he was concerned, he was just playing a part, making a speech that had been written for him.

I don't know whether Heston would have taken the same position prior to the onset of the condition, but it does seem apparent that there is at the very least a strong possibility that at the time of the "cold dead hands" speech, he was not fully responsible for his actions.

Actually ... I'm not sure but maybe I was a little hasty earlier. Heston had been suffering from Alzheimer's, and there is at least a possibility that the NRA were using him, which would be very easy for them to do, given the nature of the condition. This isn't to say that Heston didn't know what he was saying, but there is a strong possibility that he didn't know why he was saying it - in other words, it could be that as far as he was concerned, he was just playing a part, making a speech that had been written for him.

I don't know whether Heston would have taken the same position prior to the onset of the condition, but it does seem apparent that there is at the very least a strong possibility that at the time of the "cold dead hands" speech, he was not fully responsible for his actions.

I'm not sure and had never heard anything about his private life before what you wrote although in defence of your first post I would say he looked pretty much in control of all his faculties on the Youtube Video's.

You'd have thought he'd have heard that Chariot coming though ES icon_lol.gif

In the build-up to the '91 Gulf War Heston took part in a debate with Christopher Hitchens. Unsurprisingly, Heston was itching to get in and sort out the "A-Rabs". Hitchens asked if he could name three countries which bordered this country he was so keen to invade. He couldn't. Hitchens then told him to keep his wig on!

His NRA stance certainly cuased him a lot of trouble. He is typical of people who are all about Guns and invading...no idea of the world outside America, and doesn't care about it either.

Michael Moore tried to interview him about the Columbine Shootings, and the shooting of a small child. He just sut up and walked away, couldn't handle being questioned.

Anyway, a big name in the film industry, shame he didn't stay a big name in just that field

Scott

• 1 month later...

Interesting thread this one. I am mildly surprised nobody has raised the question of whether he was even a GOOD actor. As far as I can remember he played the same part in every film. His Moses, his Ben Hur and his Planet of the Apes persona were probably interchangeable.

Interesting thread this one. I am mildly surprised nobody has raised the question of whether he was even a GOOD actor. As far as I can remember he played the same part in every film. His Moses, his Ben Hur and his Planet of the Apes persona were probably interchangeable.

I'll mention it, Moi. Chuck was an absolute CRAP actor. But he had lovely thighs, especially in all those lovely Roman tunics and things. icon_lol.gif

Seriously, that's the best I can say about him.

Actually ... I'm not sure but maybe I was a little hasty earlier. Heston had been suffering from Alzheimer's
"He doesn't have Alzheimer's," Moore said flatly. "He announced that he had Alzheimer-like symptoms. It was a very skillfully worded announcement. And I hope he doesn't have Alzheimer's; I don't wish that on anybody. But how can you feel sorry for the guy that's the head of the most powerful lobby in Washington, D.C., a lobby that's responsible for making sure people have access to cop-killer bullets and assault weapons?"

Not in the same class as Douglas or Lancaster.

I grudgingly admit that Lady Diehard's right about the thighs, but to segue into a previous thread, I'd rather spend my whole afterlife without rumpy pumpy than acquire carnal knowledge of Heston. Burt Lancaster is quite another kettle of fish!

Archived