Why I think we don't stand a chance against Liverpool...

Qaz

Hi all,

I should start out by saying I think Grant has brought some positives this season before I dig the knife in.

Firstly, I beleive his non-confrontational manner has been exactly what we needed in the situation of Mourinho's departure. Now I don't beleive the hype for a second that all the players were unhappy to see Mourinho go or that all the players are necessarily less happy now than they were under Mourinho, but there is no doubt in my mind that his departure had a big effect on some of the players. In this heightened emotional state, if we had brought in a confrontational manager (like say Capello), I beleive things could have gotten very very very ugly and Grant managed to avoid alot this potential problems. So in that sense I think his man-management skills have been good.

Secondly, when he took over we were extremely Drogba and Lampard dependant (to the point we couldn't seem to score a goal without them). That really has changed over the season and I think Grant is at least partially responsible for that. Anelka's come in and though he hasn't exactly set the world alight, he is another option and a viable one. Ballack has really stepped up this season in my opinion and I would go so far as to suggest he should perhaps be our player of the season.

Thirdly (somewhat related to point number 2), the workload has been spread over a number of players this season and this I do beleive is a positive. A number of players who were on the edge of the first team stepped up and put in good seasons for us. More importantly however, Grant ditched Mourinho's "untouchables" policy which I beleive was quite damaging to the side.

So yeah, I do beleive (contrary to the opinions of many here) that there has been some positives to build upon under Grant.

However, I look at the situation now. Grant is basically trying to justify his own existance, the club seems to be looking at seriously at other managers (I have a feeling Rijkarrd will be here next season) and the pressure is really building on him.

I remember back to Ranieri's last season at the club. We were 2nd in the league and out of the cups (FA and Carling), the club were actively looking at a new manager, the premiership title was now in all likelyhood out of reach and the pressure was on in the Champions League being the only peice of silverwear left on the table. We went to Monaco and the rest is history...

Fast forward a few years, the situation is the game, the pressure is huge and my feelings are that based on Grants recent dealings with the media its getting to him. I really beleive that there is a strong chance that Grant is going to either...

a) make big pannicked changes during the match that just kill us or

:nono: be completely paralised into not making necessary changes.'

I really have a bad feeling about this match. It seems to me watching the team that Grant is being less and less driven by a will to win and more by a fear of failure. This will I think translate to the players and that we are allready seeing this in some regard.

Thoughts anyone?...

Firstly, I beleive his non-confrontational manner has been exactly what we needed in the situation of Mourinho's departure. Now I don't beleive the hype for a second that all the players were unhappy to see Mourinho go or that all the players are necessarily less happy now than they were under Mourinho, but there is no doubt in my mind that his departure had a big effect on some of the players. In this heightened emotional state, if we had brought in a confrontational manager (like say Capello), I beleive things could have gotten very very very ugly and Grant managed to avoid alot this potential problems. So in that sense I think his man-management skills have been good.

I thought you dealt in objective facts Qaz! That seems an awful lot of speculation and opinion icon_lol.gif

Secondly, when he took over we were extremely Drogba and Lampard dependant (to the point we couldn't seem to score a goal without them). That really has changed over the season and I think Grant is at least partially responsible for that. Anelka's come in and though he hasn't exactly set the world alight, he is another option and a viable one. Ballack has really stepped up this season in my opinion and I would go so far as to suggest he should perhaps be our player of the season.

Do yo really think we aren't still very dependent on Drogba and Lampard for goals? It seems to me that we are really struggling for goals without them. And despite the fact that they have both missed large chunks of the season they are still our leading goalscorers.

As far as the Semi is concerned, I think we always have a chance against Liverpool because they are not that good a side and even when we have lost to them it has always been a very close affair. I think Benitez is a much better tactician than Grant and that goes in Liverpool's favour, but I think we have the better players overall. I'd say it is 50:50. If we play to our best we should be too good for them.

As far as the Semi is concerned, I think we always have a chance against Liverpool because they are not that good a side and even when we have lost to them it has always been a very close affair. I think Benitez is a much better tactician than Grant and that goes in Liverpool's favour, but I think we have the better players overall. I'd say it is 50:50. If we play to our best we should be too good for them.

I can understand that, and there isn't anything wrong with your logic. I just have this feeling that the pressure is really on Grant, that he is feeling it BIG TIME and that when the pressure is on, we will crumble.

I can understand that, and there isn't anything wrong with your logic. I just have this feeling that the pressure is really on Grant, that he is feeling it BIG TIME and that when the pressure is on, we will crumble.

grant might crumble mate, but is he really in control anyway ? clarke n ten caate seem to be the ones who the players are looking up 2 and lets face it the players for everything they have lacked this season have shown some real balls to be infront of arsenal and still in the hunt for the CL and IMO until wigan, the premiership, liverpool cant get lucky again can they i think that they are there for the taking and the likes of ballack and lampard are too good and too experienced to let gerrard dictate them

I remember back to Ranieri's last season at the club. We were 2nd in the league and out of the cups (FA and Carling), the club were actively looking at a new manager, the premiership title was now in all likelyhood out of reach and the pressure was on in the Champions League being the only peice of silverwear left on the table. We went to Monaco and the rest is history...

but at the same time, with the same situation we knocked out arsenal with a fantastic display. doesnt really fit that.

We dont stand a chance??????

Thats simply not true,I have yet to see anything at Liverpool that has really impressed me.

Torres and Gerrard are good players and they do tend to get the big decisions at home,but I cant see how you could say that we have no chance.

As G4 says they have their own problems.

the red fans here in the office have just told me the reason they we will beat us in the SF.

There are 3 possible outcomes.

1. they play Barca in the final

2. they play Manure in the final

or

3. they are not in the final....

Therefore they reckon that they have a 66% chance of going through, so since we only have 34% then we are on to a loser...... icon_lol.gif

I haven't read this post but........ Qaz, F*ck off.

That is without a doubt the worst title I've ever seen to any thread on these forums. If you've gone on to say something that is totally misleading from the title then I apologise, if not.......F*ck off!

I haven't read this post but........ Qaz, F*ck off.

That is without a doubt the worst title I've ever seen to any thread on these forums. If you've gone on to say something that is totally misleading from the title then I apologise, if not.......F*ck off!

Your entitled to your opinions, but I am dissappointed that you feel the need to swear at me.

As for the title of the thread, not standing a chance I admit is probably going to far, of course we have a chance, I just have a really bad feeling about this match.

How can you say we have no chance when you look at the last 6 years.....

2003 - 3 points better than them.

2004 - 19 points better than them.

2005 - 37 points better than them.

2006 - 9 points better than them.

2007 - 15 points better than them.

2008 - 12+ points better than them.

Weve scored 95 points more than them over the last 6 seasons.

Equates to 31 league wins (and 2 draws) more than them in 6 years.

Qaz, for Barn's sake (and probably a few others), why don't you edit your title to "I feel deep in my bones that we will lose", and opposed to the title you currently have?

I think its too late to edit the title.

Mod, Loz, Butch, Ethical Strategy, etc, you have my blessing to change the title of this thread to "I feel deep in my bones that we will lose" or something similar for the good of Barn's health.

Archived