Penalties - again

lauren

Have we won a penalty shoot-out in the last ten years?

I remember

Losing pre-season game vs Lokomotiv Moscow

Losing Champions League final vs Man Utd

Losing Community Shield vs Man Utd

Losing Champions League semi vs Liverpool

Losing Carling Cup 3rd round vs Charlton

We have to be to worst team in the history when it comes to penalty-shootout. When the next shootout comes around i probably going to turn of the telly and take the game as a lost before the shootout has started. Im tired of getting dissepointed time and time again.

P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C!

As Luckydevil points out, why couldn't we win this game in 90 minutes? F*ck, we should have had it won by half-time, but then that would only happen if we'd have had a decent side out.

The side that started was more than good enough to beat Burnley, that's what's most galling about tonight's result.

Thing is, the key to winning penalties IMO is having a keeper who is good at catching them (Volkan for Fenerbahce, vd Sar for ManU, Ricardo for Portugal, etc).

Cech is the best in the world, but that is simply not his stride. I thought, or hoped rather, that Carlo could have been the man for that, but tonight he proved me wrong, saving none of 5 possible penalties (the one they missed went wide).

We have some really good takers, but we miss that little bit extra when it comes to saving them.

So, in the future, either give Cech the training of a lifetime in stopping penalties, or assume a "kill or be killed" approach to Extra Time.

The side that started was more than good enough to beat Burnley, that's what's most galling about tonight's result.

You're confusing me now. If the side that started was more than good enough to beat Burnley, then why the f*ck didn't they? Even when we had an early injury, Frank Lampard came on as sub - you'd think that would improve the team. I'm not at all sure what point you're trying to make.

Did anyone really expect Mikel to score from a penalty? I cant recall him hit a shot on target all season :D I know its harsh to point him out, we should have won the game in the regular time. 20+ shots on goal, only bothered the GK 7 times. It's amamzing we spend so much money on players, coaches, training facilties, but at the end of the day the football basic let us down - e.g. aim at the goal when you shoot

You're confusing me now. If the side that started was more than good enough to beat Burnley, then why the f*ck didn't they? Even when we had an early injury, Frank Lampard came on as sub - you'd think that would improve the team. I'm not at all sure what point you're trying to make.

You said

F*ck, we should have had it won by half-time, but then that would only happen if we'd have had a decent side out.

Therefore I said we did have a decent team out, which makes it all the more galling when they don't perform. I apologise for confusing you.

With a performance like this we are really a big threat to the big teams in Europe. I know there're always ups and downs but we haven't won a game against a big team this season so far. Let's hope we kick LeArse's ass in 2 weeks.

What really worries me is our inconsistency. I remember the game against Rome last week. First we dominated about 25mins then we struggled and we really could never get back into the game.

To have the slightest chance to reach the CL Final again we need more consistency. Some comments from some "friends" of mine (obviously no Chelsea fans) gave me the feeling that people started laughing about us. "You won't win anything this season with a perfomance like that)......

Yes, we're top of the league and I really hope we will stay there but it's not enough to win only against the "smaller" teams and to struggle against the big ones.

Err, I think the main point is, we didn't have a decent side out - what part of that don't you understand?

You're missing my point, if I was to have said to you this afternoon that the team for tonights game was:

Cudicini, Ivanovic, Alex, Belletti, Bridge, Ferreira, Deco, Mineiro, Malouda, Drogba, Kalou.

I'm guessing that you would think them good enough to beat Burnley, I know it didn't turn out to be, but at the start of the game you'd put money on them getting a result, maybe not a drubbing but at the very least a convincing victory.

Err, I think the main point is, we didn't have a decent side out - what part of that don't you understand?

Thing is on paper it looked a decent side...but then you realise the changes made are for the sake of change rather than for any tactical gameplan,

Giving youth a chance while having big guns on the bench was not the plan,

playing second string players who we are very likely to need and to keep them match fit was not the plan,

playing people who are too old to improve and not likely chelsea future (Miniero, sorry Ferreira) and mixing up the team a bit so we actually made 6 unforced changes unyet still had to bring on Lampard who maybe could have done with a rest, a late introduction of Di Santo when we were not even safely ahead seems a strange tactic to me.

This was a bad night that will give our opposition confidence, confidence we can lose to anyone not just the big teams and it will take the fear factor away for a lot of teams.

I really hope we get it right against a big team soon...the manager has now given himself a lot to prove regardless what he has done before.

Cudicini - lacking match experience and dare I say past it ¬___¬

Ivanovic - good

Alex - good, sometimes caught out of position

Belletti - good but got injured and still a defender by trade

Bridge - average... why the hell was he captain?

Ferreira - average and apathetic

Deco - hit and miss, no good against rough opposition, for example... a lower division side

Mineiro - completely past it

Malouda - sh*te

Drogba - not fully fit

Kalou - sh*te

You're missing my point, if I was to have said to you this afternoon that the team for tonights game was:

Cudicini, Ivanovic, Alex, Belletti, Bridge, Ferreira, Deco, Mineiro, Malouda, Drogba, Kalou.

I'm guessing that you would think them good enough to beat Burnley, I know it didn't turn out to be, but at the start of the game you'd put money on them getting a result, maybe not a drubbing but at the very least a convincing victory.

To be honest mate, when I saw the side that was picked for tonight's game I was seriously worried. If you don't believe me, ask the people who were in MatchChat - I made my feelings quite clear (as always :backsaway: )

I honestly don't think the team that Scolari picked was good enough to beat an egg - Ferreira, Mineiro, Deco & Malouda are all sh*te, which leaves just seven players. Of those, Carlo & Drogs ain't match fit, which leaves us with 5 decent fit players. Scolari should have shown some guts and put two or three youngsters in at the start, at least they would have shown some passion. But true to form, Scolari picked his favourites despite the fact they're f*ckin' useless, and we lost the game. And believe me, that came as no surprise to me - Scolari is totally incompetent (sorry if I keep repeating myself, but it would seem that no matter how many times Scolari proves me right, his fans refuse to accept it).

To be honest mate, when I saw the side that was picked for tonight's game I was seriously worried. If you don't believe me, ask the people who were in MatchChat - I made my feelings quite clear (as always :backsaway: )

I honestly don't think the team that Scolari picked was good enough to beat an egg - Ferreira, Mineiro, Deco & Malouda are all sh*te, which leaves just seven players. Of those, Carlo & Drogs ain't match fit, which leaves us with 5 decent fit players. Scolari should have shown some guts and put two or three youngsters in at the start, at least they would have shown some passion. But true to form, Scolari picked his favourites despite the fact they're f*ckin' useless, and we lost the game. And believe me, that came as no surprise to me - Scolari is totally incompetent (sorry if I keep repeating myself, but it would seem that no matter how many times Scolari proves me right, his fans refuse to accept it).

Fair enough, I agree that we should have given the youngsters a run out, if this wasn't the game to give them minutes on the pitch then when is the game? Sadly I don't think they'll get a chance at all this season now barring a major injury crisis.

I understand where you're coming from with Ferreira, Mineiro, Deco & Malouda, but I maintain that they should have been good enough to beat Burnley despite their now obvious failings.

Is Scolari incompetent? I'm beginning to think he may be, the thing is we're stuck with him for the foreseeable future.

Archived