Citeh to bid for Robben

sexelk

And City are interested in winger Arjen Robben, who could be offloaded by Real Madrid in the summer. (Daily Mirror)

If Robben is available for less than we sold him for (which is suggested by the "offload" term), then we should be back in for him. Proven in the prem and exactly the pace and skill we need out wide

Like i've always said robben fit for 3 games makes more of an impact than malouda does all season. Tho i'll give malouda his dues, he has been playin well of late

i wouldnt have him back.

obviously when fit and on form he was dynamite - thing is how many times did we see that since jan 05 ?

if we are going to spend big money on someone who offers us something extra and we all know we need somebody that offers us something extra, we should be spending big money on someone who will play more than 10-15 games a season

him lining up for city wouldnt scare me , we all know how to get at him anyway. in old fashioned terms, i think its called a 'reducer'. witness cup final 07 as a perfect example.

would take him back, but there are better (i.e. less brittle) options- not many... but one or two before him.

doubt real would want to sell, he's been one of the best players in spain this season. then again, they might have to sell if they are going to try for ronaldo again.

i wouldnt have him back.

obviously when fit and on form he was dynamite - thing is how many times did we see that since jan 05 ?

if we are going to spend big money on someone who offers us something extra and we all know we need somebody that offers us something extra, we should be spending big money on someone who will play more than 10-15 games a season

him lining up for city wouldnt scare me , we all know how to get at him anyway. in old fashioned terms, i think its called a 'reducer'. witness cup final 07 as a perfect example.

i fully agree. on his day hes a superb player, but we rarely got more than 3 or 4 games on the trot from him and hes had pretty much the same record at madrid. plus his actions at anfield pissed me right off.

i fully agree. on his day hes a superb player, but we rarely got more than 3 or 4 games on the trot from him and hes had pretty much the same record at madrid. plus his actions at anfield pissed me right off.

After watching him tear Abidal a new one last night I wish he was playing for us on Wednesday.

to be fair, while messi is obviously a better player, that madrid side was atrocious. how many times did they try to make straight 40 yard passes through 3 barcelona midfielders? it was an embarassment.

I thought he was disappointing overall last night. You couldn't help but notice the staggering difference in class between Robben and Messi.

I know we don't agree on much but that's an incredibly unfair comparison. First of all, I'm not suggesting for a minute that Robben is as good as Messi. Secondly, Robben was playing in a Madrid team that was absolutely pathetic.

At the beginning of the match Robben waltzed past Abidal twice in a couple of minutes and created virtually every chance that Madrid had. The fact that they stopped passing to him and hardly had the ball is not really his fault. If he had been playing for Barca last night with all that possession and service then he would have looked just as good and probably a lot better than either Henry or Eto'o. As it was, he was head shoulders Madrid's best player.

I know we don't agree on much but that's an incredibly unfair comparison. First of all, I'm not suggesting for a minute that Robben is as good as Messi. Secondly, Robben was playing in a Madrid team that was absolutely pathetic.

At the beginning of the match Robben waltzed past Abidal twice in a couple of minutes and created virtually every chance that Madrid had. The fact that they stopped passing to him and hardly had the ball is not really his fault. If he had been playing for Barca last night with all that possession and service then he would have looked just as good and probably a lot better than either Henry or Eto'o. As it was, he was head shoulders Madrid's best player.

I agree with all the above.

That said, I wouldn't want him back. He'd probably be brilliant again, but for a quarter of the games in a season, and out injured the rest.

I thought RObben was Madrid's only half decent player (well him and Casillas who despite conceding 6 goals was largely blameless for the result).

I also don't think there is any point comparing RObben and Messi's performance. Firstly because I think everyone recognises that Messi is a class apart from everyone let alone RObben and therefore Robben is genrally going to be less favourable in a comparison. Secondly because RObben was surrounded by players playing like imbeciles whilst Messi was surrounded by a defence playing like imbeciles but atttacking players enjoying the fact they had more space then there is inside a pair of Vanessa Feltz's trousers when worn by Victoria Beckham.

Casillas is, for me, the best keeper in the world at the moment (based on form over the past 3 seasons) and he really should be looking to leave Real to try and add more trophies to his cabinet. However he is a Madrid boy born and bred and he is getting paid an absolute fortune and has a contract that runs for another 8 years so he is probably going nowhere.

I dont want him back, it's not like he will come cheap, and he didn't really leave on good terms as I remembered it.

The biggest problem with Robben is he can and will break down anytime, anywhere. I remember Euro 2008, he had a couple of great game (cameo performance), then came the Quarter final and he didn't even make the bench due to some kind of niggle before warmup. Just for that, he is not worth the risk. If he plays for City, he will be kicked out of the game every week, so for his own sake I hope he doesn't come back to England.

loz, casillas has 2 league titles in the past three seasons (including this one), plus the european championship.

amazing shot stopper, but not a great organiser and makes loads of silly mistakes. he's perfect for madrid. he's a better david james, not fit to lace buffon's boots (or cech when he's on form for that matter).

spanish goalkeepers. bah.

Can you see Marir matching Barca in the next 3-4 years? personally I think it is unlikely and I certianly don't see them being CL challengers so I can easily see Casillas not winning another major club trophy before his career starts to go downhill.

I agree that on top form Cech and Buffon are both better than Casillas however I don't think Cech adn Buffon have been on top form for 2 seasons however I think Casillas has, hence my comment.

I don't agree that he is mainly just a shot stopper - he is a far better keeper than that, unfortunately for him he has always (bar the season under Capello) played behind a team that defend like the Blegian army.

Don't get me wrong - he already has a fine trophy cabinet, 4 titles and 2 CL (I think), I just don't see him adding to it.

what I found funny was your idea that he needs to move for trophies even though he's been the most successful player in the world this side of manchester united in the last few seasons.

I think he is "just" a shot stopper (albeit the best shot stopper in the world), because he doesn't offer much communication or organisation, never comes of his line, can't catch a ball...* the only quality as a keeper that he really offers is his amazing shot stopping. like all spanish keepers he's horribly underdeveloped in other areas (reina is probably the closest to an all round keeper of quality).

in 2005 no-one could see barcelona being stopped for years, and in 2002 (or so) no-one could see them getting close. it's impossible to predict the future of those clubs. madrid have an election coming up soon, and ramos probably won't get a new deal. you never can tell- they could sign two or three big players, land jose mourinho and a couple of the younger players could step up and straight away they could challenge strongly next season.

*obvious hyperbole but you get what I'm saying. even yesterday he had a hand in at least one of barcelona's goals.

Archived