Last Movie You Watched

Romford Pele

On 09/06/2021 at 21:52, Boyne said:

Have you visited the Airborne Assault Museum at the Imperial War Museum at Duxford? Definitely worth visiting if you haven't. Some great stuff on display including information about Bruneval. the D-Day Landings, Operation Market Garden and Operation Varsity. Some VCs on display as well.

Yeah, I've been, I went when it first opened. I agree with your discription. I've also been to the Hartenstein in Oosterbeek, the 82d Airborne Museum at Ft. Bragg. They are all really worth visiting.

Watched Doctor Sleep the other day. Sequal to the shining which i've only seen the once and didn't fully understand what was going on. Thought it was really good and you didn't really need to see the original for it to make sense. Would recommend!

SLIGHT SPOILER: The short montage bit near the end where you're taken back to the hotel was great atmosphere and nostalgia with the original music and recreating the panning shots over the lake!

Jaws

I know, I know, a classic. I had only seen bits of it as a kid but was always shoeed out of the room by my parents during the gruesome bits where the shark started chomping on people.

As an adult now I can safely say it’s a great film, and the shark actually looks pretty decent considering this was filmed in the 1970s. 
Robert Shaw is a fantastic actor, watched him in From Russia with Love recently (one of my favourite Bond films), shame he was slave to the demon drink and died so young.  

17 hours ago, Blueblur said:

Jaws

I know, I know, a classic. I had only seen bits of it as a kid but was always shoeed out of the room by my parents during the gruesome bits where the shark started chomping on people.

As an adult now I can safely say it’s a great film, and the shark actually looks pretty decent considering this was filmed in the 1970s. 
Robert Shaw is a fantastic actor, watched him in From Russia with Love recently (one of my favourite Bond films), shame he was slave to the demon drink and died so young.  

That’s Sir John Jaws to you!

19 hours ago, Blueblur said:

Jaws

Indeed, a classic. I think it's the only film I've watched that I've preferred to the book it was based on. I remember going to the cinema with a couple of friends when it was first shown in the U.K. Everyone in the cinema jumped when the head rolled out of the wrecked boat. Some of the footage was shot by the Australian naturalists, film makers and divers, Ron and Valerie Taylor. They also did a lot of the filming for the film Blue Water, White Death. A brilliant film about Great White Sharks and other marine life.

Agree about Robert Shaw. A great actor and a sad ending to his life. His second wife, Mary Ure was also an alcoholic and she died of an overdose.

29 minutes ago, Boyne said:

Indeed, a classic. I think it's the only film I've watched that I've preferred to the book it was based on. I remember going to the cinema with a couple of friends when it was first shown in the U.K. Everyone in the cinema jumped when the head rolled out of the wrecked boat. Some of the footage was shot by the Australian naturalists, film makers and divers, Ron and Valerie Taylor. They also did a lot of the filming for the film Blue Water, White Death. A brilliant film about Great White Sharks and other marine life.

Agree about Robert Shaw. A great actor and a sad ending to his life. His second wife, Mary Ure was also an alcoholic and she died of an overdose.

Holy f**k I jumped out of my f**king skin when I got to that moment. I was watching on my iPad in bed and sent it flying into the air. Didn’t expect it at all and no horror film in decades has elicited such a frightened reaction from me! 

Sad to hear about Mary Ure. Apparently Shaw was a nightmare on the set of Jaws, kept arguing with Richard Dreyfuss. And of course he would duck away to drink between takes.  

The Comeback Trail on Sky. Down in his luck movie producer owes money to the guy who financed one of his movies decides to try and ‘accidentally’ kill off the star of his new film to claim the insurance. Good little film, some quite funny bits. Worth a watch.

I watched it because famous actor Zach Braff was talking about it in his podcast but it’s got a great cast too (De Niro, Morgan Freeman & Tommy Lee Jones). 

• 3 weeks later...

The Italian Job. The 1969 version with Michael Caine. One of my favourite films with one of my favourite lines. "You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off."

I wonder why the film is being shown today!

• 2 weeks later...