Last Movie You Watched

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Watched 'A Bloody Spear at Mount Fuji' which is superb. Not really an action film at all until the last 10 minutes when all hell breaks loose. This weekend I've got Yojimbo and Sanjuro lined up for my Toshiro Mifune fix. Tried to get the other half interested in jidageki films but after watching the first Lone Wolf and Cub, she decided against watching any more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had my first trip to the cinema since before lockdown. Glorious experience, only about 10 people in my showing of Tenet. All spread out as per social distancing guidelines. Anyway! Spoiler-free thoughts:

I’m a big fan of Nolan’s films, Inception being my favourite, Dark Knight Rises and Dunkirk ranking at the bottom of my list.

It was- “standard”, as in the standard Nolan fair. The tone and themes were familiar to me and the mood derivative of his other works, but I never connected with it in the way I have with Interstellar, The Prestige or even Memento. I think the “love” theme of his films are key for me to remain invested and Tenet didn’t have that theme running through it as much as the films just mentioned.

It’s a humourless affair, but clever and gripping at times and demands you to keep up all the way along. There is a moment about half way through where Nolan drops the little hand-holding he gives you and just runs away- this is where the film just explodes and your brain scrambles like egg in a pan. Some very impressive set-pieces, and the score by the Black Panther composer, can’t remember his name, excellent.

I thought John David Washington and Pattinson were great, and Brannagh too. But by the time it got to the final act I found I was just waiting for it to end, not emotionally gripped with my blood pumping in my ears and heart almost ripping out of its chest, overwhelmed with emotion and glee like it was during the last few moments of Inception.

I guess what I am saying is I think I may be all-Nolaned out? I feel like Tenet exposes the limits of his “powers”- his last two films in a row now leaving me a bit cold.

6/10

• 2 weeks later...

I'll Sleep When I'm Dead with Clive Owen and Malcolm McDowell. Pretty brutal film with an almost-unwatchable male rape scene. The ending is ambiguous but leaves you hoping for the best. Saw The Way of the Dragon again. The fight between Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris lifts this above the usual cliched martial-arts flick. Going to be on my own for a few days next week so I'll watch The Sleepy Eyes of Death films again with Raizo Ichikawa in his most famous role as the amoral ronin, Nemuri Kyoshiro.

• 1 month later...
39 minutes ago, ddrblue said:

Just watched Kes for the first time in 30+ years and it was that good i watched it again > here is 7 mins long 

football scene from the said film  Manchester United 1 Spurs 2 >

A brilliant film. The football match is one of the funniest film scenes I've seen. Brian Glover was superb as the teacher.

1 hour ago, Boyne said:

A brilliant film. The football match is one of the funniest film scenes I've seen. Brian Glover was superb as the teacher.

‘’ we will be Spurs sir so there is no clash of colours ‘’ 

‘’ penalty who do you think you are bremner ‘’ 

‘’ you big fat Get ‘’  

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Zappa - 9/10

Documentary on the musical genius Frank Zappa by Alex Winter (Bill of Bill & Ted fame). Overall it's done with quite a reverential attitude (Alex is a huge Zappa fan) though it doesn't stray into fawning territory as it does portray his character flaws but doesn't particularly dwell on them.

Being a huge fan myself I thought it was an excellent documentary but YMMV dependent on your views of the subject matter of course!

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is a good watch ,infact its a very very very good watch  SCUM .

think channel four showed it in the mid 1980s . Its about youth detention centres and pulls a good punch .

found it on flick vault which has no end of Free films 

16 minutes ago, donnyblue said:

This is a good watch ,infact its a very very very good watch  SCUM .

think channel four showed it in the mid 1980s . Its about youth detention centres and pulls a good punch .

found it on flick vault which has no end of Free films 

Good film and cast . It was originally a 'Play for Today' on the BBC ( when the Beeb made good drama) but got banned and released a couple of years later on the big screen.

20 minutes ago, charierre said:

Good film and cast . It was originally a 'Play for Today' on the BBC ( when the Beeb made good drama) but got banned and released a couple of years later on the big screen.

For some reason i thought that channel 4 showed the film ,i stand corrected Thanks . 

https://vimeo.com/305272247

I have found a link to that film Threads (1984)  . 

Take my Word for this  after watching this film it will stay withyou for life . It goes into before,during and after nuclear strikes in the UK .

Its not for the weak minded .

i hope the link works  if not just type i  Vimeo.com ,then type in Threads 1984 into the Search engine .