Our aging squad and pundits

Zola

Remember the publicity and quotes from MOTD panel hosts etc who said we wouldn't have the energy to reach the end of the season in a competitive fashion, before we had even kicked a ball?

Apart from Andy Gray, he put his money on us from the get go.. fair play to him.

Can you remember any interesting quotes from the likes of Hansen before, or at the start of the season?

Of course nothing will top his old "You'll never win anything with kids" that he used on Manure all those years ago.

I remember all the talk from Utd fans and in the papers stating that because we didn't refresh our team in the summer we wouldn't be able to compete.

Well I thought we always were competitive even with this ageing squad. I just personally wanted to clear out certain players to give room to younger players who are supposed to be the stars in a few years. I just think it is more sane to do it gradually rather than wake up some day and realize the squad is old and no one wants to buy these guys.

We are fighting for the title this year more because what has happened to our rivals rather than our squad being less able to do so. I mean IF we win we will end up probably with 86 points and 5 losses to our name. 5 losses is a lot for a winner if you think about the past years.

ManU lost their no.1 man, Arsenal lost as well, L*v*rpool sold their midfield ace. All these losses with not very good replacements. We on the other hand didn't lose anyone. Villa, City and Spuds have all played very good seasons.

I hope one era ends with championship. To Ballack, Deco, Belletti and co we should all thank and say goodbye..

I hope one era ends with championship. To Ballack, Deco, Belletti and co we should all thank and say goodbye..

I hope that the experience of those players will show in our young players, damn good mentors to have

I don't see Ancelotti parting with Ballack next season. I believe he will remain a vital part of our midfield. Carlo is likely to revert to the diamond formation at times and in those situations will depend on Ballack to hold the midfield together and his ability to close players down.

Even if we win the double I would hope Ancelotti has already made firm plans to bring in/promote some youth and reduce the age of our squad.

I will be there on Sunday and will be as happy as Larry if we do win the title against Wigan, but I do believe the overall quality of the EPL has not been brilliant this season.

To be fair, we have not been amazing this season. Don't get me wrong, we've played well in several games, but this has got to be on of the poorest Premiership seasons in terms of quality in the past decade or so. (shown by the lack of English teams in final rounds of CL).

Man U are nothing without Rooney, and apart from him, have failed to impress me at all.

Arsenal admittedly have had lots of injuries throughout the season, but their squad is not good enough to challenge for the title.

Liverpool have, well, we don't need to say anything about Liverpool! :Whistle:

City have been poor considering how much they have spent.

Poor season overall IMO, although that would not make me any less jubilant if we beat Wigan on the weekend!

To be fair, we have not been amazing this season. Don't get me wrong, we've played well in several games, but this has got to be on of the poorest Premiership seasons in terms of quality in the past decade or so. (shown by the lack of English teams in final rounds of CL).

Man U are nothing without Rooney, and apart from him, have failed to impress me at all.

Arsenal admittedly have had lots of injuries throughout the season, but their squad is not good enough to challenge for the title.

Liverpool have, well, we don't need to say anything about Liverpool! :Whistle:

City have been poor considering how much they have spent.

Poor season overall IMO, although that would not make me any less jubilant if we beat Wigan on the weekend!

Please dont believe everything your told and you read, this has not been the poorest prem season in terms of quality at all. This isnt the lowest point scoring prem win, we have scored bucket loads of goals, played some superb football at times under all kinds of pressures and all this with a manager who isnt only new to the club but also new the league.

A quick Google of Chelsea + ageing + Hansen brings this up from 22nd March:

f you look at Arsenal and United in recent weeks, their performances tell you categorically that they desperately want to win the league. That’s why I believe that the title race is now between those two.....

There are no young players coming through who look like replacing the ageing superstars.

At the beginning of the season, he said Liverpool would win.

http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,2...5489367,00.html

Posted 13th August 2009

Which brings me nicely on to Chelsea who, as things stand, are my tip to do just that. I watched them closely in the Community Shield and they have to be happy with what they've got. Again, if you gave me money right now to back the champions, I would have to plump for them.

Can you remember any interesting quotes from the likes of Hansen before, or at the start of the season?

Of all the pundits I find Hansen generally gives a fair assessment of us.

I'm not sure that it has been a weaker league this year. Man U have been weaker and so have Liverpool, but City, Spurs, Villa, Everton and others have been better too. I think that has been why the top teams have lost more games.

Most pundits had us down as favourites at the start of the season and hopefully that will prove to be true. You can hardly blame some of them for having second thoughts at various times of the season given the number of times we have shot ourselves in the foot when seemingly well placed.

Which brings me nicely on to Chelsea who, as things stand, are my tip to do just that. I watched them closely in the Community Shield and they have to be happy with what they've got. Again, if you gave me money right now to back the champions, I would have to plump for them.

Wait, so he's backing Man Utd and Chelsea? I'm sure I read somewhere that he thought Liverpool would win as well.

I'm not sure that it has been a weaker league this year. Man U have been weaker and so have Liverpool, but City, Spurs, Villa, Everton and others have been better too. I think that has been why the top teams have lost more games.

Most pundits had us down as favourites at the start of the season and hopefully that will prove to be true. You can hardly blame some of them for having second thoughts at various times of the season given the number of times we have shot ourselves in the foot when seemingly well placed.

I totally agree,

Man U have obviously missed Ronaldo although Rooney has had a far better season than last and Liverpool have been very weak but Arsenal have put together a couple of runs that made most people think they had a real chance of the title and they played some good stuff on occasions,

City Spurs, Everton and Villa have also been good and playing away at teams like Birmingham, Blackburn, Wigan and Sunderland is no longer a gimme.

Maybe if Essien had stayed fit, Bosingwa had and the media circus around JT hadn't influenced a couple of games we could have kicked on but if we win it when we have been written off as likely to slip to third, it will just be all the sweeter for me.

Archived