Fans Or Supporters?

BlueNose

Whats the difference, i recently saw a facebook discussion that involved a few people saying that supporters and fans are different in the sense that 'fans' are more dedicated than supporters and follow the team home and away and supporters are usually from outside the UK.

I found this quite annoying as any football fan that ive come accross regardless of what team they support i see as a fellow fan and i dont see how there is a difference. If chelsea is your team, then to me, your a fan, supporter or whatever, To me, a fan in the sahara desert is just as important to a club as someone chanting at the bridge.

If your blue, you'll do.

any thoughts?

Edited by BlueNose

Whats the difference, i recently saw a facebook discussion that involved a few people saying that supporters and fans are different in the sense that 'fans' are more dedicated than supporters and follow the team home and away and supporters are usually from outside the UK.

I found this quite annoying as any football fan that ive come accross regardless of what team they support i see as a fellow fan and i dont see how there is a difference. If chelsea is your team, then to me, your a fan, supporter or whatever, To me, a fan in the sahara desert is just as important to a club as someone chanting at the bridge.

If your blue, you'll do.

any thoughts?

Other way round. Supporters are supposedly the more dedicated and follow the team home or away and fans are usually (not always) from outside the local area, they are supporters because they invest money into the club directly via tickets, merchandise etc.

For me a Blue is Blue, couldn't care where they are from, we are all passionate about this club and it is the place to be every other Saturday ::ChELSeAFaN::

Edited by Myles_91

That's clearly ridiculous. I've been following the NFL for a few years now, and obviously (living in England) it wasn't possible to find a team that I was near enough to go and see live. However, I'd still consider myself as a fan/supporter of my chosen Philadelphia Eagles (feelin' us for the Super Bowl next year baby!). As far as I'm concerned, the important thing is to pick a team and stick with them. You can support a team and buy merch etc from wherever you live and that's just as valuable to a club as the guy that has a season ticket and follows the team wherever they go.

In fact, one could argue that fans in international markets add more value to the club as money from TV sales generates more revenue for teams these days than ticket sales, and the more supporters in a given market, the more likely games will be shown there.

Im a Swedish Chelsea supporter, obviously I can't get to games whenever I want because it costs sh*tloads but once money is available I plan to go to as many games as possible.

As long as you're passionate about the club, feel shiet when we loose and feel on top over the world when we win games and goes totally bonkers when/if we win a new trophy then thats all what matters in my opinion.

I've bought a few stuff from the club, including my beloved chelsea hoodie so in that way I've supported the club with some money as well - still its about the passion for me and it doesnt matter if you live right next to the bridge or by yourself in some shed at the north pole.

Chelsea till I die.

I used to support: attended regularly as a teenager, and into my twenties.

I now consider myself a 'fan'; ambassadorial role only - finances have dictated this unfortunately.

Still watch Chelsea avidly via 'Sopcast' (usually with Russian or Romanian commentary) not quite the impact, but no sh*t and expensive journeys on trains after the game!

Edited by South Beds Blue

Either way we are all followers. Probably snobbery by the JCL's drawing a line between a person who pays to watch them live and someone who doesn't. Alot of people cant because of the expense. Makes no difference to me.

Im a Swedish Chelsea supporter, obviously I can't get to games whenever I want because it costs sh*tloads but once money is available I plan to go to as many games as possible.

As long as you're passionate about the club, feel shiet when we loose and feel on top over the world when we win games and goes totally bonkers when/if we win a new trophy then thats all what matters in my opinion.

I've bought a few stuff from the club, including my beloved chelsea hoodie so in that way I've supported the club with some money as well - still its about the passion for me and it doesnt matter if you live right next to the bridge or by yourself in some shed at the north pole.

Chelsea till I die.

::clap2::

To me, a fan in the sahara desert is just as important to a club as someone chanting at the bridge.

A nice sentiment but unfortunately not one shared by Mr Buck and the other administrators of the club.

They couldn't care less how loud you can cheer or what personal Chelsea heritage you may have. They just want you to "show them the money" as often as you possibly can.

Edited by just

That's clearly ridiculous. I've been following the NFL for a few years now, and obviously (living in England) it wasn't possible to find a team that I was near enough to go and see live. However, I'd still consider myself as a fan/supporter of my chosen Philadelphia Eagles (feelin' us for the Super Bowl next year baby!). As far as I'm concerned, the important thing is to pick a team and stick with them. You can support a team and buy merch etc from wherever you live and that's just as valuable to a club as the guy that has a season ticket and follows the team wherever they go.

In fact, one could argue that fans in international markets add more value to the club as money from TV sales generates more revenue for teams these days than ticket sales, and the more supporters in a given market, the more likely games will be shown there.

I know exactly what you mean!!! i live near stamford bridge but i met a guy from thailand who travelled all the way to watch the FA cup final v Man U several seasons back!!! That is true dedication!!! Just cus i live in london doesn't mean i can't support or intensely follow my nfl team (REDSKINS - and please no haynesworth or mcnabb jokes!!!!!! or snyder!!!) but i still listen to them every week on the radio and so forth!!!! I don't even care the reason someone supports a team! A supporter is a supporter!

Fans are all wind, and I cannot bear supporters.

You are on the right track!

A fan is a device used to promote an air flow for the purpose of cooling oneself while watching a football game on a hot day.

A supporter is a device used to protect the male genitalia while playing football.

IT depends who you're trying to prove your Chelsea-ness too. My dad is Chelsea through and through and I was bought up to know that Chelsea is good and anything else is bad. As a result I don't undertand how anyone that "chooses" to support Chelsea can feel the same as I do about the club. That said, I gave up my season ticket and then membership a few years ago and so I recognise that fans that go to games "know more about what's happening than I do". So who's more important? the fan that goes to games, but has no family ties to the club and has only been supporting them for a few years, or the fan that picked Chelsea as soon as they new what football was all about regardless of having any idea what the club is about, or the fan that feels it deep into their core but doesn't invest any money into the club any more?????

There's not a right answer, we all know what we think deep inside and really it doesn't matter. In this day and age the club cares about anyone that pumps money into the corporate beast but I've got no doubt that the time will come when fans in the ground and passion will over-take that again.

A nice sentiment but unfortunately not one shared by Mr Buck and the other administrators of the club.

They couldn't care less how loud you can cheer or what personal Chelsea heritage you may have. They just want you to "show them the money" as often as you possibly can.

Unfortunately just, this is now the way of it. I would say the majority of football clubs are now ran as a business, the supporters are now just customers. There are exceptions but they are few and far between. In my opinion there will soon be an implosion in football, the game simply cant carry on the way it is going, surely the TV deals will top out and clubs wont make as much money, wages will need to drop, more and more clubs will need to give fans an incentive to buy tickets etc...

IT depends who you're trying to prove your Chelsea-ness too. My dad is Chelsea through and through and I was bought up to know that Chelsea is good and anything else is bad. As a result I don't undertand how anyone that "chooses" to support Chelsea can feel the same as I do about the club. That said, I gave up my season ticket and then membership a few years ago and so I recognise that fans that go to games "know more about what's happening than I do". So who's more important? the fan that goes to games, but has no family ties to the club and has only been supporting them for a few years, or the fan that picked Chelsea as soon as they new what football was all about regardless of having any idea what the club is about, or the fan that feels it deep into their core but doesn't invest any money into the club any more?????

There's not a right answer, we all know what we think deep inside and really it doesn't matter. In this day and age the club cares about anyone that pumps money into the corporate beast but I've got no doubt that the time will come when fans in the ground and passion will over-take that again.

Magnificent post, sums it up perfectly.

just wanted to point out i wasnt part of the aforementioned discussion, it just annoyed me that a bloke was trying to make divisions with fellow followers and i have come to understand that most people on here are able to commicate in normal english and wanted some sensible views without going into what im sure would have followed if i had voiced my opinion on the facebook page with a childish argument.

thanks for the comments guys :)

In its most basic sense I'd say a supporter goes to a fair share of games home and away. A fan is someone that buy a shirt, and makes it to a game every now and again.

I think it's ridiculous. I've followed Chelsea since the early 90's, and in no way do I consider myself to be a know it all. It'd cost me a few grand just to make it to a game these days. but I still get a shirt now and then, and I get up at 4am to watch some games due to time difference. Whether that's a grainy stream, or actually getting it on TV it doesn't matter. I'm there, watching the game, and living every moment I can.

So long as you're a Blue, and so long as you you are there thick and thin, then you're Chelsea

I've been following this thread with some bemusement, because to me, "fan" is just a relatively modern word which has supplanted the word "supporter" in some people's vocabulary. Many of you will have grown up hearing both words, but when I was growing up "supporters" was the only word used. Then "fan" started to be used to describe people who liked certain kinds of music e.g. jazz fan, Elvis fan etc, and from there it spread to football clubs. So to me the two words are synonymous.

(But what do I know...?)

No I agree, the whole fan v supporter thing is an artificial distinction. Remember that "fan" was originally short for "fanatic", as moi says, originally used in the a musical context, rock & roll fan/fanatic.

Interesting that the person quoted in the first post of this thread should claim fans to be the more dedicated. Nowadays the argument usually goes the other way around. "just a fan"... which I think goes to reinforce the meaningless and the futility of the argument. One man's fan is another man's supporter.

It's an argument that wouldn't have been heard until recently. Other modern but meaningless arguments, are "what makes a big club". Beloved of scousers, who use their own patently inane definition of history to prove that they alone are one of a select handful of big clubs.

"Proper club" is another one. Chelsea are apparently not a "proper club" because our recent success has been largely funded by Abramovich. We hve no history bcause ...erm because they say so. And if we do it doesn't count. Never mind the facts (Littlewoods catalogue money etc), the argument goes that anything we achieve on the pitch counts for nothing because we've bought all the success we ever had, which along with the "no-history" spiel, conveniently overlooks a multitude of other facts:

- That we were already regular Champions League qualifiers prior to Abramovich

- That we could, or even should, have won the Champions League under Ranieri

- That in the years preceding Abramovich's arrival we'd won several trophies, including a couple of FA Cups, League Cups and the Cup Winners Cup

- That we were on the up. We'd been transformed from a yo-yo club to a team that seriously challenged for honours every season.

- That we'd already managed to attract top class, even world class players. Zola, Desailly, Gullit to name but three.

And so on

Back to the fan v supporters argument. It seems to me that the person being quoted was simply trying to make himself look and/or feel superior. "I'm a fan, you're just a supporter". It could just as easily have been "I'm a supporters, you're just a fan". Either way, it's all bollocks.

I don't make a distinction in loyalty towards Chelsea in the words supporter or fan. I call myself a supporter, but only because fan evokes nauseating images of screaming teenage girls, fainting for whoever is the teenage heartthrob of the moment.

And I spend money if and when I can :blink:

[quote name='Hutch' timestamp='1301221017' post='366401'

Back to the fan v supporters argument. It seems to me that the person being quoted was simply trying to make himself look and/or feel superior. "I'm a fan, you're just a supporter". It could just as easily have been "I'm a supporters, you're just a fan". Either way, it's all bollocks.

This thread seems to appear roughly biennially.

It's always has and always has been nonsense.

When, if ever, in conversation do you ever claim to be a "fan" or a "supporter"?!

Hardly ever, if you're honest about it.

If prompted, you say the team or you say you follow "........."

If asked who you dislike or hate you say "........", and/or followed by "........" bunch of c**ts.

Soccer? Do you mean football???? :shok:

Youlots alternative to "fan" or "supporter" is an interesting one. Do people in the UK talk about "following" a team - or is this an antipodean expression?