Man United v Chelsea (CL) 12/04/11 KO 19:45 BST

Zola

Worrything thing for me is Utd normally score, and they can just counter attack now, keeping it tight and picking Chelsea off. It would be brilliant if we could get a goal say in the first 20 minutes. They would then have to come out, meaning more spcae for us, and hopefully a 2nd away goal.

I hate to be negative, but I've seen nothing out of our last few games (especially when comparing them to UTD's) that makes me feel we can go to OT and get a result.

We are making decent passes, but even the flowing passing moves are not there. We have no link up play between the midfield and the forwards. We have more centrally minded midfielders trying to play wide in a 4-4-2, and overall a team that seems devoid of care.

I fear that this may be the end of the road for Chelsea this season, which is a shame considering how amazing last season was.

Pretty much all we have now is the chance to play CL footy next year. Hope that our Owner gives the Manager some time to make changes this summer. Hope that our manager has the balls to make some serious changes in the summer - I'm looking at you, Terry, Nico, Drogba, Lampard, Bosingwa.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still wishing for a miracle; however, I just don't see it happening. The belief and ability to grind out results this season makes me think Man U will at least win the double! And everyone goes on about how poor they look! They may look poor, but they are winning. And if they are poor, then we are dreadful.

Prove me wrong, Chelsea!

I hate to be negative, but I've seen nothing out of our last few games (especially when comparing them to UTD's) that makes me feel we can go to OT and get a result.

We are making decent passes, but even the flowing passing moves are not there. We have no link up play between the midfield and the forwards. We have more centrally minded midfielders trying to play wide in a 4-4-2, and overall a team that seems devoid of care.

I fear that this may be the end of the road for Chelsea this season, which is a shame considering how amazing last season was.

Pretty much all we have now is the chance to play CL footy next year. Hope that our Owner gives the Manager some time to make changes this summer. Hope that our manager has the balls to make some serious changes in the summer - I'm looking at you, Terry, Nico, Drogba, Lampard, Bosingwa.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still wishing for a miracle; however, I just don't see it happening. The belief and ability to grind out results this season makes me think Man U will at least win the double! And everyone goes on about how poor they look! They may look poor, but they are winning. And if they are poor, then we are dreadful.

Prove me wrong, Chelsea!

I think that even though we have had a few not that great games recently, the guys can still turn something on and do well here. Atleast I hope so.

We have seen it happen before. This is a big game - one of the biggest this season - and great teams can usually play well then, even if they don't in other games.

It's going to be extremely tough of course, but it's not impossible. An early goal would be great.

And it would also help if Drogba has one of those days when he's impossible to stop.

I think that even though we have had a few not that great games recently, the guys can still turn something on and do well here. Atleast I hope so.

We have seen it happen before. This is a big game - one of the biggest this season - and great teams can usually play well then, even if they don't in other games.

It's going to be extremely tough of course, but it's not impossible. An early goal would be great.

And it would also help if Drogba has one of those days when he's impossible to stop.

I think our progression depends on this tbh, either him or Torres having that sudden form hit and marauding the Utd posts for 90 minutes. Failing that I don't hold much hope for bringing the goods to OT considering their home form and our shaky situation.

Very exciting just to be in this position. If we get a result with 1 goal, it's shootout time, 2 or more and we go through. My heart might not survive shootout 2.0, I wonder if JT would be selected?

Optimistic yet nervous. Our defense is best in the league, and fully staffed. The midfield option is very interesting, my choice would be Ramires, Mikel, Frank and FloMope. Ess will just get himself sent off, and Yossi to come on for Flo or Frank. Anelka and Torres up front, with Drogba and Kalou to come on later. We've spent the entire season firing shots into the crowd or at stewards, hopefully now we have plenty of guided missiles left for marauding the Utd posts (brilliant turn, Castiel). The mighty CFC has the knack for big matches, so I expect great things on Tuesday:

Plenty of drama for Didier and SAF, a red card for Exra or Rio, 1 for Scum, 2 for Blue and through. ::ChELSeAFaN::

BTW Hutch, I completely agree with your take about Ray W and "we, us" vs "they, them". It seems a Freudian slip to me.

BTW Mad_Mac, Chicharito means Little Pea, not Penis. I think that would be Pingita, and it makes sense that this would be in the feminine gender.

BTW Loz, the US media have finally turned the scores around to home first, away second. That only took since TV was invented.

No way we will get a penalty. Not even if Ferdinand kick someones head off.

I guess we'll just have to settle for 4-0, then!

Read the reaction to the win yesterday, and Carlo said that Alex and Benayoun can start, but whether they'll play the full 90 he doubts, which is fair enough. I think we should change it up a bit.

-----------------------------Cech

---Ivan---------Alex--------------------JT-------Ashley

---------Benayoun--------Ramires-------Lampard

---Anelka-----------------Drogba----------------Malouda

Much more of a flat midfield rather than having a holding player. Bit of a risk because it will more than likely leave more room between the midfield and defence, but it's a goal we need, and having an in-form Ramires and a played-well-yesterday Benayoun in the team will be important.

Heart says we'll lose, head says we'll lose.

United sadly, are a better team than us and for me a loss on Tuesday is inevitable, having said that it should be a good day out and I hope we can at least go out fighting, but I expect a 1-0 win to United

Heart says we'll lose, head says we'll lose.

United sadly, are a better team than us and for me a loss on Tuesday is inevitable, having said that it should be a good day out and I hope we can at least go out fighting, but I expect a 1-0 win to United

i really cant see how they are a better team than us.

although i believe united will cancel us out and win. We played badly at home and i think we'll pay. I just cant see us keeping a clean sheet :(

I guess we'll just have to settle for 4-0, then!

Read the reaction to the win yesterday, and Carlo said that Alex and Benayoun can start, but whether they'll play the full 90 he doubts, which is fair enough. I think we should change it up a bit.

Much more of a flat midfield rather than having a holding player. Bit of a risk because it will more than likely leave more room between the midfield and defence, but it's a goal we need, and having an in-form Ramires and a played-well-yesterday Benayoun in the team will be important.

not sure we can start with both Yossi and Alex, the main thing is we are still in the match come the 2nd half when we can push on as Manure get nervous hanging onto their slender lead.

That's how I'd play it too, though wouldn't put Yossi in to start, put Essien in instead. Also, Torres as sub for either Drog or Nico depending how the game goes. Alex as a starter with Ivan right back is a must.

i really cant see how they are a better team than us.

although i believe united will cancel us out and win. We played badly at home and i think we'll pay. I just cant see us keeping a clean sheet :(

Individually we are better, but United know how to play as one. I honestly can't remember us having the cohesiveness they have since the beginning of the season and I fear we have lost it.

Last season I would have still been confident we could progress with a 1-0 deficit as I knew we were better than them and had the belief to turn the result around.

There is no belief and we have lost that enigma we once had, for me defeat isn't a matter of if, it's by how much. I am hoping for a narrow loss but fear we could put in another horror show of January 2009.

As you say I can't see how we will not concede and that is the worry, scoring at Old Trafford never has and never will be a problem for us but we scarcely go there and not concede ourselves. The positives are that an early United goal does not change anything, we still need to score at least twice to progress.

For us to win we would have to put in a performance that unrivals no other seen by a Chelsea side in the last 2 or 3 years, and this seasons capitulations at Anfield, Emirates and Eastlands fills me with absolutely no confidence whatsoever :(

Individually we are better, but United know how to play as one. I honestly can't remember us having the cohesiveness they have since the beginning of the season and I fear we have lost it.

Last season I would have still been confident we could progress with a 1-0 deficit as I knew we were better than them and had the belief to turn the result around.

There is no belief and we have lost that enigma we once had, for me defeat isn't a matter of if, it's by how much. I am hoping for a narrow loss but fear we could put in another horror show of January 2009.

As you say I can't see how we will not concede and that is the worry, scoring at Old Trafford never has and never will be a problem for us but we scarcely go there and not concede ourselves. The positives are that an early United goal does not change anything, we still need to score at least twice to progress.

For us to win we would have to put in a performance that unrivals no other seen by a Chelsea side in the last 2 or 3 years, and this seasons capitulations at Anfield, Emirates and Eastlands fills me with absolutely no confidence whatsoever :(

Unfortunately this is exactly how I feel too. It will take a miracle for us to win, we really need at least one person (probably Drogba) to have an amazing game, assuming he gets the service. I just hope we don't get hammered up at their gaff, I just don't think I could bear it.

110411000841.png

I would start like this.

Everyone saw what effect Rio had on their defence and Alex could really strengthen ours meaning Ivan can go back to right back. I'd start Benayoun as he's probably fit by now considering he made an appearance over two weeks ago. Lastly, although it may not have worked so far, I believe we should start Drogba and Torres. Both have had joy over Mancs and although they might not join up, they're our best two and can both nick a goal. Benayoun could provide service for both.

I think Carlo needs to risk it in this game. We can't afford to let the game drift the hope we sneak a goal or refereee give us a well deserved penalty, it won't happen. I like to see we play:

GK

Essien Ivanoic JT Cole

Mikel Rameris Lampard

Malouda Drogba Torress

Unless Alex is fit, the right back will be a problem area anyway. If we play Paulo or Boswinga, unless we are leading by 2:0, we are going to take the right back off for more attacking players, so why waste a sub? Holding midfield is not Essien's cup of tea anyway, maybe he will get more room to roam as a right back. Defensively, he's not much worse than the 2 portugeeses. None of the strikers did themselves any favourite against Wigan, Zhirkov looks more of a threat off the bench, Yossi is not fully fit, may as well play the best players on paper. I can see us conceded a goal here, it's really up to Carlo to make the right call in the game. Early substitution is required in this one, I don't see any points of sending Yossi or Kalou on with 15 minutes to go, let's be bold this time. If we lose 1:3, we will swallow our pride and admit we suck. The last thing I want to see is we play safe, they get a dodgy penalty in the 91st minute, and we beat the blame referee drum one more time.

Archived