Vintage Blues pictures and film

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

25 minutes ago, erskblue said:

Charlie Cooke at The Bridge.

Now there was a magical Scottish player.

One in a line of great Scottish wingers and dribblers. Oh for a player like him in the current Scotland squad. Probably the last great Scottish wingers were Pat Nevin and Davie Cooper.

48 minutes ago, Boyne said:

Can't recall if posted before:

Image result for stamford bridge in the forties

Saw it a while back. It was in the Everton programme first game of the season 78/79. With no money and Losing Ray Wilkins Ken Swain Gary Stanley Steve Wicks, we needed to put in squad players like John Bumstead David Stride Trevor Aylott.

It must have been interesting in training with the first team squad as by the end of the season 8 of these players made their debuts with Peter Rhoades-Brown also playing a year later.

9 hours ago, Richard P said:

Saw it a while back. It was in the Everton programme first game of the season 78/79. With no money and Losing Ray Wilkins Ken Swain Gary Stanley Steve Wicks, we needed to put in squad players like John Bumstead David Stride Trevor Aylott.

It must have been interesting in training with the first team squad as by the end of the season 8 of these players made their debuts with Peter Rhoades-Brown also playing a year later.

Never realised we had to promote so many of that Youth side so quickly back then.

Needs must, I suppose.

On 29/06/2019 at 09:11, bluehaze said:

They only got as far as the bottom of the Shed next to the West Stand and were taken out as far as I recall. Can't say I was impressed by them it looked like a token gesture to me although I was only 14. There were a couple of photos on this forum of them surrounded by old bill.

I think it was 1980 we lost 1-0 with a last minute goal. They had a lot in the shed but they took a lot of beatings and a lot were just taken down the North Stand. At the end though they came in numbers from the West Stand and seemed to get the better of it until OB took control. Coming from Essex I really hated them, journeys home on the train were really lairy although the only time I got attacked was on a tube in West London after our home game and they had been at QPR and ambushed the train.

22 hours ago, Richard P said:

Went in the Bridge on the Friday on my way home from work, there were a couple of Everton fans taking pics in the North Stand.  I got talking to them, go easy on us tomorrow they said.  High Street Ken the next day !! The barriers were still being painted yellow, it was pretty warm but didn’t dry in time and peeled off and smothered our clothes. 

22 hours ago, Richard P said:

Went in the Bridge on the Friday on my way home from work, there were a couple of Everton fans taking pics in the North Stand.  I got talking to them, go easy on us tomorrow they said.  High Street Ken the next day !! The barriers were still being painted yellow, it was pretty warm but didn’t dry in time and peeled off and smothered our clothes. 

On 27/06/2019 at 06:37, erskblue said:

Looks like two different terracing barriers in the sectioned off area.

The ones shaped like an 'A' were designed by Archibald Leitch, who designed Stamford Bridge and many other football stadia in the early 20th century.

Blimey Ersk, you post some wonderful stuff on here either photos or general information, but when you start talking about different designs of crowd barriers I think maybe once in while you need to get out!!!! Not for to long though mate we'd miss you on here

7 hours ago, chi blue said:

Blimey Ersk, you post some wonderful stuff on here either photos or general information, but when you start talking about different designs of crowd barriers I think maybe once in while you need to get out!!!! Not for to long though mate we'd miss you on here

Nah mate, I just did a project on Football Safety years ago.

As most know on here I'm interested in history in general and the design of the early football stadia fascinated me. That's' why I know a bit about Archibald Leitch and his football stadia designs, terracing barriers included !

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/meet-archibald-leitch-man-who-invented-football-stadium

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-48028660

Here's a  couple of decent articles about Leitch.

More about football stadiums in general than simply The Bridge.

Edited by erskblue

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/about-chelsea/history/stadium-history?pageTab=Building a Bridge

Stamford Bridge is one of the oldest football grounds in the country and has been the home of Chelsea Football Club since our formation in 1905.   

Stamford Bridge opened as a sporting arena on 28 April 1877. For the first 27 years of its existence it was used almost exclusively for the traditionally popular Victorian pursuit of athletics meetings by the London Athletic Club.

In 1904 the ownership of the modest ground changed hands when Mr Henry Ausgustus (Gus) Mears and his brother, Mr J T Mears, obtained the deeds, having previously acquired additional land (formerly a large market garden) with the aim of hosting a newer sport they had fallen in love with - football - which had swept the north of England and the Midlands and was growing in interest rapidly in the capital city.

The new arena they commissioned on the 12.5 acre site was designed by renowned Scottish football stadium architect Archibald Leitch (as were many others across the land) and included a characteristic feature of his work in the 120-yard long stand on the east side to hold 5000 spectators, complete with a pedimented centre gable on the roof,

The other sides formed a vast, open bowl with thousands of tons of material excavated from the building of the Piccadilly Line underground railway supporting the high terracing for standing spectators..

The capacity was originally planned to be 100,000 and was the second largest in country behind a decaying Crystal Palace stadium in south London - at the time the FA Cup final venue.

1 hour ago, erskblue said:

As most know on here I'm interested in history in general and the design of the early football stadia fascinated me. That's' why I know a bit about Archibald Leitch and his football stadia designs, terracing barriers included !

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/meet-archibald-leitch-man-who-invented-football-stadium

I remember as a kid having the Simon inglis book on football stadiums dug it out a few months ago, shame how many of them been replaced by these Lego style bowls

3 hours ago, erskblue said:

Leitch was a wonderful architect and designed so many great grounds and stands. For me, the Main Stand at Ibrox is one of the most iconic. Even after most of Ibrox was rebuilt following the disaster in 1971 the Main Stand was retained. It's a wonderful sight. The only change made was the addition of the club deck at the top of the stand.

Related image

Agree with chi blue, you post great stuff on here.

As mentioned by several people, this has to be the best thread on this forum.

Edited by Boyne