Three Departures?

bjd

Just been told Bryan English, Paul Clement and Glenn Driscoll, all left us on Friday - Can anyone confirm this? I can't find any confirmation of it anywhere. Wonder if that means Emenalou is staying on?

Always had time for Clement, hope things work out for him.

The changes are starting....

Not sure about the other two but everyone is carrying Clement's departure. To be honest that's a little disappointing, of everyone Clement is the one I would have kept. Will be interesting to see where Emenalo moves. I can't see him being assistant given that Paul Clement was the actual assistant. To be honest I don't have an issue with him moving upstairs away from the technical side of things.

It's also interesting if true that two of our first moves in terms of backroom were to get rid of the head of the medical team and the head of fitness/head physio. To me that says the club aren't happy with the injury toll last season. Good news if you ask me, arguably the injuries/misdiagnosed illnesses cost us the title and it's good to see that if Ancelotti was held to account for poor results that other figures are being held to account for the crippling injury toll as well. At least it's consistent.

Im not sure why this is such big news. Its fairly standard practice for a new manager to bring in his own trusted team. I cant remember any other managerial team replacement being headline news. When jose came in there was massive changes also, yet no one seemed too bothered i feel sorry and thankful to those leaving, but its fairly common practice.

And Villas-Boas has already axed three backroom staff, just five days after taking charge.

First-team coach Paul Clement, club doctor Bryan English and fitness coach Glen Driscoll have all been put on gardening leave while compensation packages are agreed.

The new manager paid a flying visit to Chelsea's Cobham training ground on Friday for a meeting with chief executive Ron Gourlay.

And Clement, English and Driscoll were promptly told they would play no part in Chelsea's future.

What does a Director of Football actually..you know...do?

Is he just supposed to be a go between between the manager and owner? Cos that seems fairly pointless to me.

Really not convinced that a DoF is particularly necessary, but to quote the Wikipedia article on Director of Football "The presence of a director of football acts as an intermediary between the manager and the board and may relieve pressure on a manager by handling aspects away from day-to-day coaching, allowing a manager to focus on on-pitch performance. The director – often an experienced football figure – may also positively advise a less experienced manager or the board of a less well developed club."

If Roman has decided that he wants a Director of Football, having read that description, Emenalo doesn't exactly strike me as particularly qualified. Specifically, this is a man who played in the Belgian, American and Israeli leagues in the mid-90s, was unemployed (retired?) for a while and has now been a scout here for about 4 years. I wouldn't describe that as "an experienced football figure".

Im not sure why this is such big news. Its fairly standard practice for a new manager to bring in his own trusted team. I cant remember any other managerial team replacement being headline news. When jose came in there was massive changes also, yet no one seemed too bothered i feel sorry and thankful to those leaving, but its fairly common practice.

I don't think anyone is too bothered as you say - just it's a shame for Clement who has been at CFC for a very long time.

I don't think anyone is too bothered as you say - just it's a shame for Clement who has been at CFC for a very long time.

I agree, it is a shame to see a man who has given a lot to Chelsea leave, and as I said he will go with the thanks of Chelsea fans. But maybe now is the right time to refresh the staff and for major changes within the squad. I wasnt saying anyone on here wasnt bothered though, it was more aimed at the media making a big thing of something thats nothing really.

Edited by dkw

I agree, it is a shame to see a man who has given a lot to Chelsea leave, and as I said he will go with the thanks of Chelsea fans. But maybe now is the right time to refresh the staff and for major changes within the squad. I wasnt saying anyone on here wasnt bothered though, it was more aimed at the media making a big thing of something thats nothing really.

The knives are out in full. Every little invention, possibility, downright lie that could possibly be used to put the club in a bad light is being pounced upon by the media and regurgitated as truth. I won't bother quoting the kind of crap I'm referring to, you've seen it. The only certainty is that there's going to be a lot more.

I have no idea what kind of people and servants these men have been for the club so I don't have any kind of opinion whether it is good or bad they are leaving. Must be very disappointing for them though having been kicked out.

Most important thing is we get the best possible team to work for the best of the club.

Reports are saying that Lollichon, the goalkeeping coach is also on his way.

Lollichon was Cech's coach when he was at Rennes and came to Chelsea on Cech's recommendation after Silvino Louro left with Jose.

It is interesting that Cech's best form for us was under Louro. Obviously, Cech suffered from the head injury and some other less well publicised problems with his shoulders and this has undoubtedly had an impact too, but I don't think Louro's influence should be underestimated.

Look at what happened with Julio Cesar. He went from being a decent keeper to being regarded as the best in the world under Louro and yet last season will be best remembered for some howlers in the CL matches against Bayern.

It seems that AVB has some thoughts on the subject anyway!

Lollichon was Cech's coach when he was at Rennes and came to Chelsea on Cech's recommendation after Silvino Louro left with Jose.

It is interesting that Cech's best form for us was under Louro. Obviously, Cech suffered from the head injury and some other less well publicised problems with his shoulders and this has undoubtedly had an impact too, but I don't think Louro's influence should be underestimated.

Look at what happened with Julio Cesar. He went from being a decent keeper to being regarded as the best in the world under Louro and yet last season will be best remembered for some howlers in the CL matches against Bayern.

Interesting if true. Petr is pretty central to our defence and I wouldn't be wanting to upset him. Removing his personally selected goalkeeping coach might not necessarily be wise. He seemed pretty tight with Hilario as well. I'm not for this move if true, but proof will be in the pudding. If he is getting his own team and getting to make plays Carlo didn't get to make (which I find slightly disappointing) then it's on his head in the end.

I don't know much about this guy and can't mention anything hugely meaningful other than that I'm fairly sure he's the highest ranked goalkeeping coach in the world in Football Manager...Whilst that doesn't necessarily translate to the real world, when combined with his relationship with Peter, I'd think he's probably worth keeping.

Well, all of them are still on the OS. They usually delete pretty quick everyone who has been axed. It looks like a bit that the media is trying to make room for AVB's own staff...

Mostly makes sense though, except for Paul Clement because AVB is not bringing his assistant Pereira who got the Porto job. So unless we're going after a bigger name for the position and Paul is not willing to accept a lesser role I can not see the point in the sacking. That or he was banging André's girlfriend 5 years ago :)

Interesting if true. Petr is pretty central to our defence and I wouldn't be wanting to upset him. Removing his personally selected goalkeeping coach might not necessarily be wise. He seemed pretty tight with Hilario as well. I'm not for this move if true, but proof will be in the pudding. If he is getting his own team and getting to make plays Carlo didn't get to make (which I find slightly disappointing) then it's on his head in the end.

Lollichon axing sends Chelsea boss AVB into Cech showdown :laugh2:

Right now I'm just going on what Boas said and think all this is bs.

"Christophe is not here of course but he is part of the structure. He couldn't be here because he was still on his holidays which we accepted, there is no reason for him to be here but he is part of the technical staff."

Right now I'm just going on what Boas said and think all this is bs.

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10268~2383341,00.html

"Following the success of last season's reserve side, who became national champions, reserve coach Steve Holland will also step up to work with the senior squad, becoming an assistant first team coach, while Christophe Lollichon continues as goalkeeping coach."

http://www.chelseafc...2383341,00.html

"Following the success of last season's reserve side, who became national champions, reserve coach Steve Holland will also step up to work with the senior squad, becoming an assistant first team coach, while Christophe Lollichon continues as goalkeeping coach."

I think I may have been a little late reading this topic :blush: