Salomon Kalou new contract?

dantheman23
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

With Liverpool and Arsenal seemingly sniffing about, I only hope that we offered him the new contract as a way to put some form of price tag on his head.

I would rather that we spent more time looking for a replacement.

How long did it have left? maybe wanted to extend it so we could cash in when we sell him in the summer - which we just have to. Not good enough.

That would be my guess. On the basis of his recent form and our young talent, I would think the club would either do this and sell him than let his contract wind down and have him go free.

I'd keep him, but I didn't think AVB was keen on him and assumed we'd let him go.

As WW says I'd say we are trying to get more cash out of him, which might be a bit of a risky strategy given everyone knows of his issues.

That said I have no issue if he is given a new contract. He has been a solid contributor over the past two seasons. Most people sit and wait for him to screw up to say 'There I told you so!', ignoring the positive contribution he has made to the club particularly during the Chelsea Spring two seasons ago where he had a run in the first team and was scoring regularly.

And let's not forget his brilliant assist for Risse's crucial goal in the Champions League....

my main cibcern is we are keeping him just because he showed some promise a coulee of seasons ago, and isn't too bad as an impact sub. If we are really looking to have someone come in and make an impact from a wide position, i'd sooner give that option/chance to someone like Kakuta.

Or, have kakuta as back up and spend the money we are going to spend on kalou's contract and roll that into a better option

I can understand giving Bosingwa a 2-3 year contract and Drogba 1 year contract, but kalou needs to be sold asap (january window). We have more then enough cover in his positions and he is probably the last pick as well. Im not against selling Anelka either if that russian club wants to pay crazy money, but then we really need another wide forward or two.

I doubt anyone would actually pay a fee for him, im sure if Arsenal and Liverpool are sniffing around then its only because he would be a free agent in the summer.

I really hope that the club havent offered him a new contract or if they have he rejects it and leaves. With Sturridge stepping up we no longer need Kalou. Kalou was useful when we didnt have many options up front in the last few years, only really Drogba,Anelka and Malouda. But now we have Drogba, Torres, Mata,Malouda Sturridge, Lukaku and maybe even Kakuta if he can actually ever step up. With that amount of talent we no longer need Kalou.

He like Mikel arrived and havent really improved since. I think they were both very lucky that the club didnt get in decent players to keep them out the team until this summer. Now we have them they should both be sold or let go.

I am surprised a few more of the usual Kalou backers have not come onto this thread and given their support.

A sign that even they have lost faith and realise that he is now 6th choice striker?

Digging around, I've found the source on the official site, which is a report on AVB's latest press conference:

ON TRANSFER AND CONTRACT SPECULATION

Villas-Boas first gave an update on the Didier Drogba situation. The Ivorian's contract is up at the end of the season.

'There is nothing new,' he reported. 'This is a situation where we cannot discuss every week. it is better for us that when there is something to tell you we can announce it. We are dealing with the offer. End of story.'

There has also been speculation on Salomon Kalou.

'Regarding market speculation it is going to be difficult to comment on all situations,' the manager said. 'Kalou was offered a contract and hopefully we will continue talks.

'In January these players are available to discuss their future but I think the fact they are emotionally attached to this club means we can count on them as a player independent of what happens in negotiations.'

And finally Jose Bosingwa, who has entered talks regarding a new deal.

'The talks are ongoing. The option that we have protects us regarding Bosingwa until April 5 but the talks have now started and it won't be difficult. We are initiating talks with him,' Villas-Boas said.

Reports on Sky and the premierleague.com have AVB also stating that:

"Kalou was offered a contract and hopefully we will continue talks. "In January these players are available to discuss their future. We'll continue talks until we reach an agreement or not"

Bugger. Was hoping we'd sell him. Oh well. Suppose I can still hold out hope that he "snubs" us like so many seem to nowadays and goes to Le Arse or someone instead.

Edited by BlueSkies

Would rather have the empty place in the squad tbh.

The Valencia game really just sums up Kalou. We work hard for 80 minutes away in Spain to get a result, on comes Kalou and ruins everything, then gives the ball away every time we go forward looking to go in front again.

Sell sell sell or just release on a free.

Would rather have the empty place in the squad tbh.

The Valencia game really just sums up Kalou. We work hard for 80 minutes away in Spain to get a result, on comes Kalou and ruins everything, then gives the ball away every time we go forward looking to go in front again.

Sell sell sell or just release on a free.

An error of judgement on AVB's part to play a player who's had next to no 1st team games this season when the match was balanced so finely.

Kalou has been ripped apart on this site time and again but you can't deny he's scored some very important goals for us, usually after coming on as a sub, in fact he went through a spell when every time he was brought on late in the game he scored.

More game time would improve his confidence and finishing, to sell the boy on the back of this mistake would be stupid.

Clearly he's out of favour this season....but if Drogba and Anelka leave this summer, Kalou may still be needed for depth?

Not so sure about that. If Drogba leaves, we have Lukaku to get more time. If Anelka leaves Kakuta can play the wing spot that he plays. If a central striker is needed, Sturridge can play there too. Plus, I have a feeling that if both Drogba nd Anelka leave, AVB will bring somebody in that he thinks fits the system.

Clearly he's out of favour this season....but if Drogba and Anelka leave this summer, Kalou may still be needed for depth?

I think all 3 will be leaving before next season starts or one of them stayes and malouda leaves. AVB could replace all 3 of them though with 2 players and have the same depth and better options. With two wide forwards simillar to Pato and Hulk on each side we could move mata in as central attacking midfielder. We would have backup on both sides as well if one wide forward was injured and plenty of central strikers if torres was out as well.