Play Mikel further forward?

Champagne Charlie

He's naturally an attacking midfielder and has been misused as a Makelele by every manager you've had, and the results are there for all to see.

Wouldn't it be more beneficial to try and utilise him further forward like has been done in the past with Essien? Maybe he'll be more effective playing there. He's certainly a skillful player who likes to get forward and dictate play.

Should he be sold it wouldn't surprise me if he was used as more of a Ramires/Lampard than Makelele.

Just a thought really which I'd guess has probably been discussed before.

I would play him much further forward. Beyond the strikers, beyond the goal and in the stand!

Seriously though I dont rate him as a footballer, not at the level we are aspiring to be at anyway. He slows the game down far too much and at a time when we are intending the increase the speed of our play I would definatley not be moving him further forward. I also think Romeu has shown enough in his few appearances that he should be in the midfield ahead of Mikel.

I wouldn't mind seeing him given a chance further forward, but I'd imagine many would plotz if they saw him getting a game at CM over Josh McEachran. In terms of offensive ability, Josh has certainly shown more reason to be picked there than Mikel.

He's naturally an attacking midfielder and has been misused as a Makelele by every manager you've had, and the results are there for all to see.

Wouldn't it be more beneficial to try and utilise him further forward like has been done in the past with Essien? Maybe he'll be more effective playing there. He's certainly a skillful player who likes to get forward and dictate play.

Should he be sold it wouldn't surprise me if he was used as more of a Ramires/Lampard than Makelele.

Tell you what, your lot are more than welcome to take Mikel off our hands and give it a try.

Want to make it clear though this is on a sold as seen basis and no refunds will be considered.

I always rated Mikel, but for the past year or so, this season in particular, I'm really struggling to see any positives in his game. He's very slow, he plays with his head down, has very little awareness, vision, technique or anything else. His positional sense is good at times, but simply isn't enough when he's as immobile as he is.

He's average & rarely shows that he has shot or a game splitting pass in his locker.

Mikel was supposed to be an attacking midfielder when we signed him years ago. José turned him into a holding player, which he was doing i think pretty well (i like him, yes). Once i read an interview with a Nigerian coach who was angry, because Chelsea ruined the next best player of African football with turning Mikel into a DM.

But making him now an attachking player seems a bad idea to me, because when you see him play, it is clear, that we doesn't really have pace and trickery for that. He has some vision, but that's not enough. His greatest strength in my eye is his strength, not many players can take the ball away for Mikel in a psyhical battle. Anyway, Mikel will never be a top class attacking midfielder, that's sure.

Mikel was supposed to be an attacking midfielder when we signed him years ago. José turned him into a holding player, which he was doing i think pretty well (i like him, yes). Once i read an interview with a Nigerian coach who was angry, because Chelsea ruined the next best player of African football with turning Mikel into a DM.

But making him now an attachking player seems a bad idea to me, because when you see him play, it is clear, that we doesn't really have pace and trickery for that. He has some vision, but that's not enough. His greatest strength in my eye is his strength, not many players can take the ball away for Mikel in a psyhical battle. Anyway, Mikel will never be a top class attacking midfielder, that's sure.

Charlie Adam did quite easily a few weeks back....

He's one of the most forgettable players in a long time.

Which is mad when you see how much he's played over the years.

Because he was rather good. For example under Scolari, he was our best player. He is just not given credit for his performances. But that happens to defensive minded players.

Mikel's not all bad. He has had 10-15 man of the match performances for us. Playing him in the maka role now in the team is madness as we don't have a maka role anymore so your suggestion CC isn't that bad.

Having said all that Romeu has been better in the games he's played already so far. Barcelona is going to steal him back as soon as they have the chance. The boy is world class in the making.

I wouldn't really mind if we sold Mikel as long as we get a replacement. I think he'd be good in Germany or Italy. We have to remember it is(prem.) the toughest league in the globe.

This idea of him being a great attacking player for Nigeria does not stack up. He's scored 1 goal in 4 years for them, 2 since 2005. Admittedly that's a better strike rate than 2 in 217 games for us, but it's not the strike rate of a top attacking midfielder.

I think he is a decent player, no more than that. In flashes he looks top quality, but most of the time he seems to coast along, and lacks the speed or energy to real impact on games.