Bargain basement buys

just

We all know the January transfer window can't come quick enough for us this year and there is all the usual speculation about what and who, we need, But most of our speculation and wishful thinking is for superstars who would cost us a fortune. Players like Neymar, Hazard, Bale, Ozul etc. However, it is highly unlikely of these players would come to us mid-season, even if we can afford them, and if we don't cement a CL spot it will prove even harder to persuade them to SW6.

But, at the lower end of the scale you can occaisionally find the odd gem who is a more realistic target. And they don't necessarily have to be brought as a nailed on first choice starter. Squad depth is just as important these days.

So who do you think could come in and do a job for us? Let's set a budget of £15 million tops;

Mine are;

Tim Krul from Newcastle

Demba Ba from Newcastle

Moussa Dembele from Fulham

Scott Sinclair from Swansea

PS: One player I would have made a cheeky enquiry about was Adam Johnson at Citeh. However, the fact that he has recently signed a contract extension, (despite the fact he hardly ever plays), rules him out IMO.

I don't think we need another keeper at this stage, as we have Courtois out on loan who could always come back in an emergency.

But people like:

Gary Cahill - Bolton

Leighton Baines - Everton

Seamus Coleman - Everton

Junior Hoilett - Blackburn

Matt Jarvis - Wolves

Frei - Fulham

Sinclair - Swansea

Would be reasonable additions at lower prices.

Agree with Dembele, thats a good shout. I'd also look at Iker Muniain and Erik Lamela.

Haven't heard of either of them personally Tomanizor. Perhaps it would help if hereon we provide the players current clubs and the positions they play?

Zola, historically keepers tend not to go for huge transfer fees. De Gea only went to United for £17 mill. Fortunately that already looks to be £17 mill too much.

Great topic just. So often these type of players are derided by the FM types as not Chelsea quality, many of them would make a very solid contribution, providing a different option to the ones we have. We arguably should have bought both Parker and Arteta (both players in this bracket) over the summer.

Matt Jarvis (Can actually cross a football, amazing how many players can't)

Clint Dempsey (Great energy, excellent finisher, fights for that extra inch)

Farfan (Cheap as chips given he is available on a free in the summer, solidly the equal of Valencia at United)

Srna (A right back who can cross, also is out of contract shortly)

Montolivo (Again another off contracted player, who would do a job we don't have anyone to do right now)

Edited by Spiller86

Kevin De Bruyne (Genk)

A player which fits well to AVB's playing-style. Would prefer him over Kalou and Malouda.

Gary Cahill (Bolton)

English, great with the ball, quick. The type of centerback AVB is dreaming about...

Darijo Srna and Montolivo. Spiller86 says why...

Just, you want Demba Ba for under 15m? Throw in Torres and Drogba and you might have a deal, but I guess not.

I would offer Liverpool a fiver for Steven Gerrard, see what they say. Then when he comes I would make him the kit man. Money well spent me thinks.

I would buy Rio just so we could all laugh at him. I think a tenner covers that. I would make a cheeky bid for his brother too. Offer 10m. Offer him the earth in wages. When he comes to sign the contract we get Jeremy Beadle to jump up from beneath the grave and shout, "You've been framed!".

I reckon we could procure Beadle's services for under a pound.

I would buy the whole of Tottenham for three hundred quid. Not the football club the area. Then I would rename it Sh*tsville.

Personally, if I had 15m to spend on anything I liked, I would buy a burger at Stamford Bridge. If there was any change left over I would buy a cola ..

But perhaps I'm stretching things.

Agree with the sentiment just, we're not buying any of the world's top 10 in January, but there is definitely value out there.

In addition to Cahill, I agree with about everyone on Spiller's list. I've made my feelings about Dempsey felt in other threads, and I feel the same way about Srna. I'd also throw Reus out there because I think he has a 15m buyout (might be a little higher) but I'm worried that he's already heading to Bayern.

I would have a look at: Matt Jarvis Kyle Walker Farfan

Jim, I would love it, love it I tell yer if we could nick Kyle Walker off Tottenham. But for an english player, his age, who has already represented his country at the highest level I doubt very much we would get him for under £15 mill.

Davey, Demba Ba went to the Barcodes on a free in the summer and has an injury record. Before that he only cost the Spammers a million from Hoffenheim. As for getting Jeremy Beadle, well he died in 2008, but perhaps you meant his twin brother fat Rafa, (seperated at birth apparently). You are entitled to your opinion of course, but I think, in this instance, you are wrong.

Gary Cahill - Bolton

Leighton Baines - Everton

Seamus Coleman - Everton

Junior Hoilett - Blackburn

Matt Jarvis - Wolves

Clint Dempsey (Great energy, excellent finisher, fights for that extra inch)

Are all my shouts.

Dempsey is on fire this year, and I dont just say he would be great becasue he is American. While he is not a "world class" player per se, he is a workhorse in the midfield and can be a very effective spark if he were to come off the bench. Also, in these games where the effort from our starting 11 is sub par, having a player like that out there will lift people around him. The guy has an engine like Ramires.

Baines and Coleman would be amazing in my view. Baines is less a necesscity, but Coleman has been used in several different roles at Everton and has speed to burn. Baines might cost about 10, but I dont think Coleman would cost over 7. To be able to use him at RB and RW would be worth that, IMO.

Cahill is a must. Cant screw that deal up, IMO

One of Jarvis and Hoilett would be nice out wide to give us more depth. Hoilett is only 21 and can grow in leaps and bounds like Sturridge has.

If it is a player based in the Premiership who we think might actually make a difference and doesn't have a contract running out then £15m isn't going to buy much due to the price hike in the January window. Looking outside the Premiership for either squad players or players for the future possible options are:

Wilfried Zaha from Crystal Palace (striker)

Christian Eriksen from Ajax (sort of Mata role I think)

The lad Shaqiri from Basel who gave Utd a torrid time in the CL

also a gamble would be Gourcoff who I must admit I have never been that impressed by but would be available on a cut price deal.

Trust me im Irish and should be in support of our younger players but coleman is not even worth 2 million.Pace is the absolutely only attribute he has.

Trust you because your Irish?

Coleman has been in English football now for 3 or 4 seasons and has progressed well in each of those seasons, He is a far better player than he was at Sligo.

Thing is,if Chelsea need to buy bargain basement players to fill the squad,then what's the point of the multi-million pound acadamy?.

If it's going to be the way forward,then why not scrap it & save a few bob?.

Clint Dempsey is a top lad, a very good player who plays with an honest intent which to be frank,seams to be missing from most of the so-called premiership 'stars' these days.

Same can be said for Baines,but the thing is,both players may just be at the right clubs,with the right enviroment to show these qualities.

The pressure at Fulham & Everton is a world away from the pressure at Chelsea,staying in the division is a world away from being EXPECTED to win it!,(plus,the CL,League & FA cups).

Hoillet is a good shout because he's young,he can still be taught what it takes to compete with the worlds best,which, is where we have earned the right to be.

I don't want to sound harsh on players such as Dempsey/Baines because they ARE good players.I thought Arteta should have moved from Everton 3 sesons ago,to prove his ambition & quality,but the truth is, that these players,at this time in their careers,have found their level & that for us just isn't good enough.

Our priorty should be sorting out the acadamey & Chelsea's future.

Well yes, if we turned out academy players every year to integrate with the first team it would be lovely, but it's not happening is it. McEachran is the best we've had in years, and AVB never plays him, so what hope do the others have?

Well yes, if we turned out academy players every year to integrate with the first team it would be lovely, but it's not happening is it. McEachran is the best we've had in years, and AVB never plays him, so what hope do the others have?

Very true point,but looking at the performances of Romeu,maybe,with an eye to the future, it's THE point that the club should be looking at.

And with the focus on younger players I'd look at the following four:

Kerim Frei; Foolham - very impressed with him when he played against us in the League Cup - very pacy

Nedum Onuoha ; Citeh - can't seem to break through at Citeh but I have been impressed with him when I've seen him. Admittedly a squad player but then who isn't these days?

Sammy Ameobi; Barcodes - raw talent just waiting to be nurtured into the top level of football

And one more outside of the Premiership:

Jack Collison; our feeder club - hopefully over his bad injuries, another raw talent just waiting for the right opportunity