Big Eddie is back

Zola

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10268~2634054,00.html

:smile:

EDDIE NEWTON RETURNS

Posted on: Mon 05 Mar 2012

Chelsea Football Club is pleased to welcome back Eddie Newton, who will join Roberto Di Matteo's backroom staff as support until the end of the season.

Steve Holland will remain as assistant first team coach and Christophe Lollichon as goalkeeping coach.

Chris Jones, who has been with the club since 2006, will step up to take the role of first team fitness coach.

Jose Mario Rocha, who previously held that position, and Daniel Sousa, head opposition scout, have both left the club. They joined with Andre Villas-Boas last June.

Newton joined Chelsea as a 13-year-old and came through the ranks to make 214 appearances for the club. His debut came in 1992 and he established himself in a star-studded midfield as we lifted the FA Cup in 1997, famously scoring the second goal in the Final against Middlesbrough after Di Matteo had opened the scoring after just 43 seconds.

Newton was also part of our League Cup and European Cup Winners' Cup-winning sides in 1998 before leaving the club for Birmingham City a year later.

After his playing career ended prematurely due to injury, Eddie returned to the club with a role in our Academy, which included working with the Under 16 side as assistant coach.

He also supported Di Matteo at MK Dons and West Bromwich Albion

Sorry to sh!t on the paraid here, I really loved Eddie and Robbie in there playing days but lets see it for what we have here.

We effectivly have last seasons West Brom management team, that where sacked.

Now I didnt agree with them getting sacked but I didnt really think they where chelsea mattierial.

So if the medicine still tastes bad until May w ehave a little bit of sugar to sweeten the taste.

I really hope they (RDM & EN) can make a difference but ultimatley its gonna be up to the players just like when

Avram was manager.

Sorry to sh!t on the paraid here, I really loved Eddie and Robbie in there playing days but lets see it for what we have here.

Now I didnt agree with them getting sacked but I didnt really think they where chelsea mattierial.

I agree. I really have no idea what is going on. Its like we have no manager. It feels like Roman has been backed into a corner and had to act, but there was no contingency plan in place. We could seriously plummet now, especially if the rumours of players disliking RDM are also true. I don't really see how sacking the manager and having his assistant, minus two important staff members, is going to improve the situation. If it does, surely that proves the theory that the players were deliberately playing poorly to get him sacked because we've just technically weakened the staff.

You have to compare West Broms Budget and players they had at their disposal to work with though. Give them a chance

You have to compare West Broms Budget and players they had at their disposal to work with though. Give them a chance

Same players and budget Woy is working with now, Wouldnt want him to be our manager either.

I really hope these boys can pull somthing out the bag. Really. But we had the right man in charge, we had the wrong players. Romans gone wrong here!

West Brom have played some good football under RDM and Eddie Newton, it'll be interesting to see what they can do here, even in such a short period of time.

Although if I remember correctly, they looked as dodgy at the back as they were good going forward.

Edited by abramovich

Totally agree,give the man a chance.

Starting with tonight,lets hope some of his FA cup magic rubs off on the team.COME ON BLUES! ::clap2::

He played 3-5-2. I don’t think anyone had played that system before. I certainly hadn’t. He asked me to be a “holding midfielder†— I didn’t have a clue what he was banging on about.

Welcome back, Eddie, I hope you've learnt a thing or two since the Glenn Hoddle days!