Boro rivalry

Areophobia

As a lurking (ok I'll admit it :P) Boro, I'm curious to know what some the older boy's opinion on any rivalry Chelsea had with Boro back in the day? Especially as we play you/you paste us midweek!

In light of the topic on the "Leicester rivalry", I'm curious to know how you viewed Boro as Boro did and do a smaller extent still do view Chelsea as more than just "another team" due to past matches.

I come in peace of course, just interested in the other side of the coin!

I remember the play-off game which lead to the ban but it had nothing to do with rivalry in my view.

Maybe some older fans will disagree but I've never heard of any rivalry with Boro and I've never had any ill-feeling towards them.

Obviously we beat you twice at Wembley. Not that that has anything to do with anything I just thought I'd mention it ;)

Oh and by the way, where's your "Rafa Out" avatar?

Ive never rated Boro at the Bridge in general terms.......Ive only been to Boro once in the 70s and it wasnt too worrying...Chelsea wernt bothered on THAT day.....Im aware though that Boro have a firm that are capable....All i can say is IVE never seen it...Was at the Bridge for the talked about  match and it was only the fence that stopped Boro boys being scattered all over west london...

I remember Chelsea taking the Holgate End back in the 70's, but have no idea which season it was. The only time I ever saw a Boro mob at the Bridge was the play-off game, and they were very lucky there was a fence to protect them. Having said that, Boro had a half-decent mob, though they did tend to throw darts at away fans which was pretty cowardly in my opinion.

We've never really had a rivalry with them though, not sure how a southern team can have a rivalry with a northern one. Apart from West Ham & the Geordies, but that was based on one incident involving a petrol bomb. Our rivals have always been Tottenham and West Ham, and to a lesser extent, Arsenal. QPR and Fulham like to think they're our rivals, but that's a bit like Hartlepool or York City claiming to be Boro's rivals :biggrin:

At the end of the 1-0 FA Cup Final a 'game' Chelsea firm were waiting at Wembley overground and challenging 'likely' entrants.  It never came to anything due to lack of willing contest and families, scarfers were all left in peace.  This was the first time I'd ever heard of any issue and no idea what it was borne of.

I was at the home playoff game right next to the gate that was busted (not left open as the media said) open and i heard that it was a bit hairy up at Ayresome Park which was part of the reason for the charge up the pitch. Well that and the fact we were relegated. I remember a bit going on at Wembley in the Zenith at the top of wembley way perhaps a bit of spill over from the playoffs. but the two other cup finals were just a decent day on the piss.

I did think Boros mob at the Bridge in 88 was impressive though but as said the fence saw that it wasnt really tested and those that had been on the pitch soon got chased round the back of the East stand.

Cheers for the responses gents! Interesting the analogy of QPR and Fulham to Hartlepool and York City - never thought of it like that.

Boro will admit that they weren't much in the 70s, but that changed in the 80s. Not that I was there (only in my 20s) I've been told/read by non-Boro fans that Ayresome Park was one of the worst grounds for away fans.

The dart incident was Arsenal I believe?

Regarding the '88 final. Its interesting, Boro who were there say there was some incident where a Boro kid was hung over the stand by a Chelsea boy - is there any truth to this?

Had a knife pulled on me at Boro years ago.

FA Cup game at Ayresome Park, midweek early 90's. Got there late and had to park well away from the ground. Lost the match and the police kept us in after the final whistle. Little gangs of Boro hanging about in side streets, looking to pick off Chelsea stragglers. Don't think the little twat would have used it, but I didn't exactly engage in hand to hand combat with him in an attempt to find out.

Lairy old ground to visit was Ayresome Park.

Had a knife pulled on me at Boro years ago.

FA Cup game at Ayresome Park, midweek early 90's. Got there late and had to park well away from the ground. Lost the match and the police kept us in after the final whistle. Little gangs of Boro hanging about in side streets, looking to pick off Chelsea stragglers. Don't think the little twat would have used it, but I didn't exactly engage in hand to hand combat with him in an attempt to find out.

Lairy old ground to visit was Ayresome Park.

Probably one of them plastic flick comb knives that was all the rage up north

Early 80s SH and a few others left the Chelsea End and walked into Boro's end.  A copper on horseback said "You can't go in there, that's Boro's End", they ran at the first few who turned and fled, the rest must have thought it was a bigger Chelsea mob becasue the whole lot fled.  I wasn't there, but one of my mates was one of the very few who went in.

They did have a big mob in 88, and also it went off in a big way at Wembley under the stand at the ZDS Final.  There is also a TV news clip somewhere of them cowardly attacking a York Chelsea bloke on a local train out of Boro.

No "rivalry" to speak of I don't think.

Our rise started with beating Boro in the '97 FA Cup final when a certain Italian scored after 43 records.

That cup win was, for me, the beginning of being able to assemble teams who were challenges fro trophies each season. 

I will never forget that goal RDM scored. It was a brilliant strike and one that every Chelsea fan should appreciate. 

I remember quite a bit of trouble at the ZDS final and at White hart lane once where they steamed into Spurs.

I was at the ZDS Game and at half time it went off at half time and after the game. I dont think rivalry so much as they hate us for the cup final's we have beaten them in AND the fact that they wish they was flash cockney twat's like us :P

I remember Chelsea taking the Holgate End back in the 70's, but have no idea which season it was. The only time I ever saw a Boro mob at the Bridge was the play-off game, and they were very lucky there was a fence to protect them. Having said that, Boro had a half-decent mob, though they did tend to throw darts at away fans which was pretty cowardly in my opinion.

We've never really had a rivalry with them though, not sure how a southern team can have a rivalry with a northern one. Apart from West Ham & the Geordies, but that was based on one incident involving a petrol bomb. Our rivals have always been Tottenham and West Ham, and to a lesser extent, Arsenal. QPR and Fulham like to think they're our rivals, but that's a bit like Hartlepool or York City claiming to be Boro's rivals :biggrin:

The match when the Holgate End was taken was the 2-7 match 1978-79 we where in the corner opposite which was terrace next to the seats and my mate Paul Feeney was talking to a Boro girl who said to him that no one has ever taken the Holgate End and at that moment Hicky and his mob cleared the end and Chelsea was written on the wall at the back of the end, PF said to her it has now!

Would you not class Leeds as a northern rival.?

During the 'hooligan years' we have had little spats of rivalry (at various times) with all 3 of the main NE Clubs, Newcastle, Sunderland & Boro. And probably in that order too?

I think it's fair to say that Boro were late starters on the hooligan front. They certainly peaked during the latter years.

I also think it's fair to say that our turn-outs (& occasional excursions) 'op North have generated more excitement with the locals than anything reciprocated back at the Bridge. Several trips to Sunderland immediately spring to mind :O)

I went to lots of home games against the NE Clubs, over many years. Boro's turn-out, for the play-off game 'stood out'. However, by this time (off the pitch) the police had the surrounding streets pretty much sewn up.

I've never regarded the NE Clubs as true rivals, that's 100% reserved for Tottenham & the likes! However, from personal memory due to various promotions/relegations, etc. I'd say Newcastle fixtures, both home & away were perhaps the most anticipated!

Archived