Is Rooney worth a punt?

Is Rooney worth a punt?  

253 members have voted

1. 1. Is Rooney worth a punt?

• Yes, sign him up, great player who will play well!
    • Still undecided, not too bothered either way!
    • No Way Jose! He can go anywhere but Chelsea thank you very much!

We know he tried to pull one before and wanted to leave Manchester Utd but was persuaded to stay in the end!

Wayne really can't be happy with his situation at the moment, being second choice behind RvP and not playing much recently - being benched against Real Madrid must have felt as well.

Already some rumours starting to spread about him leaving, will see it in the papers tomorrow but it could also be made up bullsh*t of course.

The summer could get very interested and if it really comes down to it would you be happy to go for him? I still think hes one of the best and it doesnt hurt that he can play just in behind another striker.

No doubt that it will be a real circus soon enough!

He usually confirms on twitter once the bullsh*t starts to spread and so far he has not, another interesting point. (He tweets just a few mins ago)

I would love to have him here, definitely.

Of course I would want him, he's a good striker/all round player and him being English is a bonus too but there is nothing in this what so ever. 

I don't see the problem myself, he hasn't been very good. Certainly not enough to warrant a spot ahead of others. Got his first 90 mins v Norwich after a while, despite the very good goal and the 2 assists he still didn't perform to a top standard. The only spot he could have started v Madrid was on the wing and he was awful there when in the first leg, not to mention Giggs, Nani and Kagawa (Scores a hattrick, doesn't get picked and people are still going on about Rooney) would be much better choices.

Just saw this article too. The 35m for me is a bit steep. I think he's overrated- but not necessarily a bad player. United fans and the media talk him up as another Ronaldo or Messi but he's certainly in the top 20, maybe top 10 players in the world.

His style of play would work wonders leading the line and is just that little bit different from what Demba Ba or Lukaku would offer.

However, it would be pointless keeping Torres on. Even if Torres somehow magically regained some form, he offers nothing that Demba Ba does at probable double the wages, and even he isn't as good in the buildup as Rooney is.

Well okay, I should elaborate.

• He will look at what has happened to Torres and think otherwise.
  • He will get an icy reception as a former United player, let alone one with so much notoriety.
  • "New Challenge", when used by a player usually means "I want to move to a different league". He'll go to either La Liga like Ronaldo or go the opposite way and join the Bundesliga (the stock of the German league is really rising).
  • We won't be able to accommodate him in the squad.

I don't doubt Rooney's skills as a player but he's better off elsewhere.

We don't want another Torres situation.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1554660-wayne-rooney-should-leave-manchester-united-after-real-madrid-snub

Is that the article you were on about?

Edited by Lyncath

Nope, ESPN are claiming it as their exclusive.

However they also have said that both Bayern Munich and PSG are looking at making him their top priority.

Torres was a former Liverpool player who was a thorn in our side, and we had people falling over the make excuses for him.

As much as I dislike him if he joined I'd be very happy, no doubt hes a quality player, at one stage was probably in the top 5 players in the world and I don't doubt that he could find that form again.

That being said we'd be the last team he'd ever sell him too.

its really hard to gage. i definitely believe reports that the working relationship between rooney and ferguson are fractured. rooney has undoubtedly found it hard playing second fiddle to van persie this season but i don't see who rooney would sign for part from us. he would never sign for city, despite how much money was on offer. i don't believe he would move to spain or germany  - he's hardly a man of the world. if he did leave united, which is a big if, i see no reason why he wouldn't sign for us

If United were willing to sell him to us, as others have mentioned I just can't see it happening for anything short of ludicrous money, then Yes absolutely. Never liked him but then again I never liked Ashley Cole when he was at Arsenal. Rooney is outrageously talented, versatile and if you play him properly an absolute goal machine. 

Won't happen but then again who would have thought we would land Liverpools golden boy?

Always liked him but I smell Shevchenko with this one. We should try to avoid these type of buys. ManU wouldn't use the money for a Carroll like Liverscum did with the Nando-money. If we are goin gto make these kind of Galactico buys buy from abroad.

No thanks. He's not the player he was and he'd still want massive wages.

If we were talking of taking a top player from a premiership club I would prefer Suarez any day of the week.

I have always thought that Rooney would be a player with a shorter career than some. Firstly because he came on the scene so young and will be extremely wealthy and a lot less hungry now than when he started. Secondly his build i think he could be one of these players that picks up an injury puts on a few pounds and just cant get rid of it again, probably linked to the first point about the hunger not being there anymore.

I may be talking rubbish who knows but i remember saying he'll be Terry Gibson by the time he's in his late 20's so i wont change my opinion now and Fergie must have seen something.

I'd pass on bringing him here.

I first read this as "is Rooney a worthless c**t?" and I was about to post "YES", but I'll give it a "no" instead. Unless we change the way we play, I don't think he's a player we need. 

Edited by Maksimov

Mourinho doesn't do marquee signings, but if he did, he'd do Rooney.

Really? He had the chance to sign him from Everton but didn't and claimed Rooney wasn't ready to move to a big club - didn't do too badly at manure though. Bad call by Jose on this occasion. 

Depending which paper you read he's available at anything from £25m to £35m. At £25m I'd take him like a shot. Many people claim they don't like him as a person and wouldn't want him near our club however if you ask fans of other teams about JT they would say the same - yet we know what JT brings to a team. Rooney is much the same as to what he can bring. Major stumbling block though? His wages - far too excessive.