• Lampard
    • Willian
    • Oscar
    • Hazard
    • Ba
    • Schurrle (sub)
    • Ramires (sub)
    • de Bruyne (sub)

Nobody stood out at all, but Oscar was solid and got a very tidy assist.

Everyone else was average, with Branna and Mikel being pretty poor. Both incredibly slow on the ball tonight.

The whole team left their 1st touch in the changing room.

Ba for me.

Oscar had a good start but as the game went on he was never where you would want him to be from an attacking/creating perspective. If those final ball attempts had fallen to Oscar instead of Willian it would have been a different outcome. 

Can't vote for anyone really in what was a very uninspired performance all round. It was yet another case of 1-0 job done but performance wise, instantly forgettable.

The fact Ba currently has 4 votes when to me he looked clumsy all night and missed a sitter that would have made Torres blush, says it all really.

Lets hope we're saving ousrelves for the heavy schedule over Christmas!

I'm going to go for Luiz.

After conceding 7 goals in 3 games he came back into the side after injury and look assured alongside JT and helped us keep a clean sheet.

Played a couple of good passes going forward to try to spur a bit of life into the side and didn't attempt anything stupid by galloping away out of position (wise choice considering how poorly Mikel was playing). 

The fact Ba currently has 4 votes when to me he looked clumsy all night and missed a sitter that would have made Torres blush, says it all really.

Nibs, I have to take issue with you.

Ba scored the goal and a very important one it was too, otherwise it would have been very nervy.

How did he score it? By anticipating the flick. Moving, in other words. Hovering around the goal, looking to score.

He then missed a sitter, yes, but how did he get in position to miss? Did you put him there? Did I put him there? No, he put himself there, by moving, anticipating the cross, and putting himself in the perfect position.

He then had a goal ruled out for offside, and it was marginal, on another night, that counts. He was in the danger area, he found some space, and he turned neatly, and this time he finished, with aplomb.

In other words, Nibs me ol mucker, he was the goal threat, nobody else. It's what centre-forwards are meant to do and it's been sadly lacking and for that reason alone he deserves a bit more credit, especially as he's hardly had any games, and must be a bit rusty, and frustrated.

He was the game-changer and he was the man of the match, IMO.

I feel sorry for him. When he arrived he was banging them in for Newcastle and they were very sorry to see him go, but the clause in his contract allowed us to get him and he refused to sign a new one with them. He was a very important player for them, if not their most important player. I know this because I visited the Newcastle boards when we signed him, to gauge the reaction. He has a great scoring record in the Prem, with West Ham and Newcastle, a really, really good one. He comes to us and what happens? The usual, he finds himself behind Torres, inexplicably. Remember, he scored two goals on his debut, he scored two great goals in two big cup clashes against City and Utd, but he found his chances limited and he was never allowed to develop any rhythm.

I'm convinced if anyone finds his goals-to-minutes ratio for us it will be good. He's a goalscorer and that's what we need. We need someone to get on the end of things and be sniffing around the penalty box. His time has come and I hope Jose sees it the same way. He has a good attitude, he never moans, and on the odd occasion he's given a game he's a threat, always.

He may not be top drawer, we know that, his all-round game may be wanting, but right now, he's what we've got. He's a very decent Premiership performer. Liverpool, Utd and City have all got better, but he's what we've got and we could do worse.

I think he will bang them in if given the chance. He's waited long enough, far longer than he should have. I think he could surprise some people on here.

We really haven't seen very much of him. Sometimes a player needs time to settle. Sometimes they need to feel the confidence of the manager. We are too quick to judge. I'd be quite happy if he were given a run in the side, starting now.

He's got to be better than Torres.

Sorry Davey, but when someone has to make a post of that length, you know they are clutching at straws!!

Sure, he scored a goal. A very scrappy goal which still on replays looks more of an own goal. But MOTM? It was a very poor Steaua Bucharest team who I reckon I would have a fair chance of scoring against.

Have to say I fully agree with Davey, he put himself about, wanted the ball to his feet and showed hunger to get in the right areas to actually shoot.

Most unlike Torres.

Ba deserves a few starts to see if he keeps scoring. With confidence instilled in him and more game time, he'll do just that.

Ba scored the goal and a very important one it was too, otherwise it would have been very nervy.

How did he score it? By anticipating the flick. Moving, in other words. Hovering around the goal, looking to score.

He then missed a sitter, yes, but how did he get in position to miss? Did you put him there? Did I put him there? No, he put himself there, by moving, anticipating the cross, and putting himself in the perfect position.

He then had a goal ruled out for offside, and it was marginal, on another night, that counts. He was in the danger area, he found some space, and he turned neatly, and this time he finished, with aplomb.

In other words, Nibs me ol mucker, he was the goal threat, nobody else. It's what centre-forwards are meant to do and it's been sadly lacking and for that reason alone he deserves a bit more credit, especially as he's hardly had any games, and must be a bit rusty, and frustrated.

When Torres missed his two chances against Sunderland no one was praising him for making the right runs and being in the right positions, they crucified him for missing the chances.

Lets not praise Ba for something that we criticise Torres for. 

^ Not me, I have never criticised Torres for missing chances, I have criticised him for the fact chances don't fall his way. 

By the way, Ba had three chances on Wednesday night and finished two, although one was ruled offside. It would be a bit churlish to criticise him for his finishing, given he scored the important goal.

That's my opinion anyway.

My grandad thinks otherwise.

Just checked on wikipedia. Prior to Chelsea, Ba scored more than 1 goal every 2 games for West Ham and Newcastle, and that's in the league. This includes all appearances, so substitute appearances as well. I reckon if he played all our league games he would bang in at least 20. He's a goalscorer. He may not be much else, but he will score goals.

Have to say I fully agree with Davey, he put himself about, wanted the ball to his feet and showed hunger to get in the right areas to actually shoot.

Most unlike Torres.

Ba deserves a few starts to see if he keeps scoring. With confidence instilled in him and more game time, he'll do just that.

Not saying Ba was terrible the other night - but IMO it was far from a MOTM performance.

Folk have selective memories where Torres is concerned. In Europe, his performances have been pretty decent and he has scored his fair share of goals so why say "most unlike Torres"?

If Ba put in a performance like Torres did against Schalke away, then he would warrant a MOTM.

Just checked on wikipedia. Prior to Chelsea, Ba scored more than 1 goal every 2 games for West Ham and Newcastle, and that's in the league. This includes all appearances, so substitute appearances as well. I reckon if he played all our league games he would bang in at least 20. He's a goalscorer. He may not be much else, but he will score goals.

This is the key point.

The way I look at it is this- if, in theory, you played any one of our three strikers in every league game for the entire season who would you bet would score the most goals? In my mind it would be Demba Ba without doubt.

He may not get as many assists and he may not link up play as well and go on fancy runs (that probably lead to nothing) but there is no doubt in my mind that he would score the most goals.

He may not be the most technically gifetd of the three but he is and always has been a goal scorer and that is the one thing that we are really missing right now.

He isn't the long term solution and he isn't going to be our very own RVP/Aguero/Suarez but I think if played with a bit of regularity he will notch more than our other strikers so I don't really see why he shouldn't be played a lot more.

Archived