Premier League: The Final Stretch

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

We're now in the final stretch of what has been a mental Premier League season with only a few games to go.

At the moment the table looks like this.

Points   Played   Won   Lost   Drawn   GD      Games Remaining    Max. Points

Liverpool      80          36        25      6        5            50                  2                             86

Chelsea       78           36        24      6        6             43                 2                              84

Man. City      77          35        24      6        5             58                  3                             86

When you look at that table you realize just how costly that controversial loss to Sunderland has been. If we had claimed all three points from that game we would currently be sitting at 81 points atop the table with two games to go. If we had then gone on to win our two remaining games we'd have gotten 87 points and no matter what Liverpool or Manchester City could have done we'd of won the Premier League. As it stands we need both Liverpool and Manchester City to LOSE one of their remaining games to win the title, a long shot but not impossible considering who both sides are playing next, and both away from home. Put bluntly, it doesn't look very good but we can be assured of third place with a win over Norwich next weekend. 

If the incredible happens next week and both Liverpool and Manchester City lose I'd then say we've won the title, but again (and I must stress) that's some tall order and entirely out of our hands. Personally and realistically I think we will finish the season second behind Manchester City and only just above Liverpool and really, I can live with that. I'd expect us to kill off teams better next season so we don't  have a repeat of this situation. If we somehow win the title it would be unbelievable, absolutely unbelievable.

The remaining fixtures,

Crystal Palace vs Liverpool  - This one is a potential landmine for Liverpool. 

Liverpool vs Newcastle - You just never know with Newcastle... 

Chelsea vs Norwich

Cardiff vs Chelsea

Everton vs Manchester City  - This one is a potential landmine for Manchester City.

Manchester City vs Aston Villa

Manchester City vs West Ham

Despite having one extra game to play the title appears to be in Manchester City's reach with their 'easier' opponents and their fantastic goal difference which will surely only grow, especially during their last two games when the leaky defenses of Villa and West Ham come to the Etihad. City's only tricky game is against Everton at Goodison Park. Liverpool fans at the moment are praying for their local rivals, of all people, to save their season but I honestly cannot see it happening. Don't get me wrong, Everton are a very good side but I just cannot see them taking points off Manchester City. Everton will be missing Baines, Jagielka, and Distin from their side... and against a Manchester City side capable of ruthlessly cutting defensively lax opponents to pieces? I don't fancy them.

I really get the feeling that Crystal Palace are going to do Liverpool over though, it's a feeling I just can't shake. In the aftermath of our away game at the Etihad Manchester City staggered around as if we had knocked the stuffing out of them and I think we've now done an even worse job over on Liverpool. Henderson is suspended, Sturridge has an on-going hamstring injury, Gerrard's morale is crushed, and we showed Pulis how to neutralize Suarez and Sterling.

If the league pans out the way I anticipate it will we'd miss out on the title ourselves and give it to Manchester City. It will be hard to take given the games we've lost this season but it could be worse, it could be Liverpool's. Anyone but Liverpool? Yeah, I guess so. We'll be the complete article next season with one-two quality strikers and more than capable of mounting a rampant title challenge. Our record against the top-flight clubs this season has been the best of the bunch, we've just failed to gain consistency given our extra fixtures, injuries, and a lack of a "proper striker". 

Just remember, you've signed for the tip Pellegrini.   

I think Liverpool take 6 from 6 hear.... palace and Newcastle players on holiday already, cant go up cant go down. doesn't matter what people say about "pulis not standing for it"  Liverpool roll them over quite comfortably.

City I am more worried about, they have been playing like a team with pressure on them for some time. I can actually see all there remaining games causing them problems.

What a crazy season. I really hope there is a CFC miracle in the end of it all, but we have to wait and see. We have done so remarkably well against the top sides, and suffered a few silly defeats against opposition that we really should have beaten.

Before the weekend we were 33/1 to win the title. We are now 14/1, The odds have shortened, yet they are obviously still against us. Who knows what our odds will be next week!!

Liverpool were the heavy favourites (cant remember the odds), but as it stands City have taken that role at 4/5 on.

We are relying on two big slip ups, from Lpool and City, personally I think it may be too much to ask, but lets see.

Chelsea has a much easier schedule, however, we have two points less and worse goal difference.

Liverpool will have a tough schedule at Crystal Palace.

Manchester City need to play three games and all of them are not easy games, except the West Ham one.

Summary:

Anything can still happen. Next weekend result is determining whether the race is over or not.

The Everton Game is City's Final. Win that and they get a couple of relatively easy games at home.

Agree... if they beat everton they will destroy villa at west ham at home, 4 or 5 niller each

The most we can do is just win out two final games. It is really as simple as that. The bottom line is that we don't need pressure because there shouldn't be expectation.

Focus on the Champions League against Atletico, see where that takes us, and just win our last two games. It's the most we can do afterall.

We dont need them to lose for us to win the league. 2 draws for Liverpool and 3 draws for City with us winning our 2 games would see us winning the league. Chances of that happening our slim just making the point, that Sunderland defeat was crucial such a shame. It we had beaten Sunderland that Liverpool win would of been even sweeter.

We dont need them to lose for us to win the league. 2 draws for Liverpool and 3 draws for City with us winning our 2 games would see us winning the league. Chances of that happening our slim just making the point, that Sunderland defeat was crucial such a shame. It we had beaten Sunderland that Liverpool win would of been even sweeter.

I think Gary Neville was right when he said that the Chelsea players wouldn't be celebrating after that Liverpool win, they will be kicking themselves actually because of all those silly points we dropped in the past.

Besides the Villa game where Foy gave us no chance all of our other games where winnable, we rise to the occasion in the big games but then let the pressure get to us against the underdog? Or do we just become complacent? Either way we can improve on this next season, right now we just need to win our 2 final games and focus on the Champions League.

Dippers been riding their luck in some of the away games. May be the case that Pulis' side beats them. Everton will be tough for City too, having not won there since 2002 (?). I don't see Newcastle getting a result against Liverpool though. 

Actually just two draws for both city and Liverpool would do it. City still look like they may bottle it in one game lets just see how much us betting them affected Liverpool

Yesterday was brilliant, utterly hilarious, but come a fortnight when in all likelihood we finish 3rd, the joke is on us.

I mean its absurd a team with our record are likely to finish 3rd. Only ourselves to blame im afraid. Sunderland last week was a clusterf**k. Then you've got Palace. Stoke. Look at Villa , since they have beaten us havent they lost every game ?

Not over yet but if we dont win it its such an opportunity missed. Luckily we have the right manager to turn this negative into a positive. I think we will be mustard next season.

Edited by bjd

Dippers been riding their luck in some of the away games. May be the case that Pulis' side beats them. Everton will be tough for City too, having not won there since 2002 (?). I don't see Newcastle getting a result against Liverpool though.

City last beat them on their turf in 2009.

City last beat them on their turf in 2009.

My bad. That 2002 (or 2003) result must be liverpool then (I know they haven't got the best against Merseyside teams at Goodison/Anfield.) 

Edited by MANoWAR

It's interesting because Liverpool actually benefit from playing on Monday after a loss, if City win they will be deflated and could drop points, but if City draw or lose to Everton Liverpool will have a huge lift. Either way it doesn't benefit us, so I gotta cheer for City to win.

It's interesting because Liverpool actually benefit from playing on Monday after a loss, if City win they will be deflated and could drop points, but if City draw or lose to Everton Liverpool will have a huge lift. Either way it doesn't benefit us, so I gotta cheer for City to win.

If both City and ourselves win Liverpool will be gutted and the pressure will really be on them.

Time for Lukaku and Cameron Jerome to step up

The problem with this is the order they play in... If Liverpool went playing on Monday we could get an idea of what we wanted but I'm not sure I can cheer on Everton knowing it could hand the title to the dippers...

The perfect scenario for me (and we are in fairy tale stuff here)

We beat Norwich 7-0

City beat Everton - 1-0 (we can't take the risk of souses getting all up for it against palace)

Palace beat Liverpool 3-0

At this point advantage City

Then City Draw with Villa in midweek.

Last game of the season

City draw with spammers

Chelsea smash Cardiff

And really in this scenario we don't give a f**k what the scum for Liverpool do against Newcastle