Antonio Rüdiger

Linked again in a few of the papers with a move for him. I'm surprised we didn't go for him last summer to be honest.

He's a young German international, physically imposing, pacy and decent on the ball but not quite the finished article.

Here's the interesting bit - according to ESPN he moved from Stuttgart to Roma on loan for about €4 million with an option to buy for an additional €9million. 

Instead we purchased Papy and Hector, whom we loaned out anyway. Hmmm.....

Hmm.

I would like to see us bring back Christensen as he has been having a great season while Zouma before the injury did step up for us.

Assuming we want to (Conte) keep Terry I'd rather use the 2 lads above first because I really do think they are good enough long term. If Terry does indeed go then we would need to bring a CB in for sure though

Hmm.

I would like to see us bring back Christensen as he has been having a great season while Zouma before the injury did step up for us.

Assuming we want to (Conte) keep Terry I'd rather use the 2 lads above first because I really do think they are good enough long term. If Terry does indeed go then we would need to bring a CB in for sure though

Agree with that but it's so hard to predict these things simply because no-one's sure what formation he might play. A lot might hinge on whether we can get Bonucci or not, but I've got a feeling JT might stick around whatever happens.

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

Mammana, Koulibaly and Rudiger all rumoured in... Cahill and Ivanovic out? A lot of defenders so I guess we're going 3 at the back and Conte wants wholesale changes... All of the defenders rumoured in young and still in development with Koulibaly probably the closest to a finished product.

Edited by Jon Stakes

about 20 million quid. a lot of money, but hopefully conte can help develop him into a top defender. still young, maybe a little raw, so we shall see what happens. if we do sign koulibaly as well, it would be a very good window for defensive signings. 

Mammana, Koulibaly and Rudiger all rumoured in... Cahill and Ivanovic out? A lot of defenders so I guess we're going 3 at the back and Conte wants wholesale changes... All of the defenders rumoured in young and still in development with Koulibaly probably the closest to a finished product.

Even if we stay with 4 at the back we would need to sign at least one CB this summer with JT having a lesser role in the squad, Cahill seemingly not the same player without a leader beside him and Zouma recovering from a serious injury, it is understandable why we aren't putting our eggs in only one basket.

I think one centre back probably covers us with Ivanovic capable of playing there as well. I think that is also important with Christansen returning next season and Clarke-Salter to include as well over the next two to three seasons.

For mine the important thing is having a left sided if not left footed player particularly if we play three at the back. Rudiger has played left side for Roma although he is right footed.

I'd prefer Samuel Umtiti from Lyon who is left footed myself. But i suspect he is too short for our plans given the links to man beasts Rudiger and Koulibaly who are both 6ft4 plus.

Has anybody actually watched Rudiger play for more than a couple of games? I saw him last night vs Hungary and wasn't impressed. Watched some Youtube highlights of his and it didn't me fill me with confidence, either. Koulibaly, on the other hand, looks an absolute beast, although as with Rudiger I haven't watched him nearly enough to make a comparison. Wonder if anyone here watches enough of Serie A and Bundesliga to make a judgment on those two.

Edited by abramovich

Has anybody actually watched Rudiger play for more than a couple of games? I saw him last night vs Hungary and wasn't impressed. Watched some Youtube highlights of his and it didn't me fill me with confidence, either. Koulibaly, on the other hand, looks an absolute beast, although as with Rudiger I haven't watched him nearly enough to make a comparison. Wonder if anyone here watches enough of Serie A and Bundesliga to make a judgment on those two.

Not seen a lot of rudiger, underwhelmed by what i have seen though, I think there are better players available tbh, but we will wait and see.