Virgil Van Dijk

2 minutes ago, the special one said:

Chelsea line up £25m move for La Liga defender: Conte could do this if he signs him
http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/791291/Chelsea-Antonio-Conte-La-Liga-Jorge-Mere-transfer-news-Blues-gossip

And they quote the Daily Star. I'm going to take  a big guess and say it's a BS story. 

8 hours ago, didierforever said:

I have noted all the OTT remarks, just be ready to pay up.

Also, you do understand that we dont need to "develop" christensen, right? He is playing in a CL f**king team, unlike VVD. So stop f**king acting like I am talking about an amateur.

How far did his team go? I assume that a) we want to go further and b) you feel that  all the Celtic squad could start for us since they played CL, I can make OTT remarks because I know it won't happen, I'm aware it makes me sound silly  and I'm not a fan of outlandish statements but sometimes exaduration is needed to drum a point across, I may sound like I'm having a go at you but I'm not I'm just sick of this mantra about youth in general not because I dislike the idea but because it's not feasible and makes no sense, plus it doesn't help if someone says a simple statement like we need a ball playing CB and you say in a patronising way " have you ever seen ake or Christensen " if there is a topic which already peeves someone then you get a smart arse remark on top of it of course you will get a reaction, I generally don't engage in bickering I don't like it but you have a cheeky and arrogant air about the things you say difference of opinion is ok that can be done while remaining respectful. 

8 hours ago, PedroMendez said:

Better start saving

You actually believe he puts out one of luiz azpi or our league winning captain? Add to that we will bring in a CB and we are aiming for a top CB, like I said garry isn't quite good enough but if you think we will get no one when CB is our top priority save us losing Diego and Christensen is going to start over that new signing or over our current captain, best defender we have or best CB we have and one of the best in the league with a near flawless season based on a mediocre season at gladbach you're dreaming, hence the bold statement, it's never going to happen and it's daft to think otherwise. Christensen is good but not quite ready to start maybe next year most likely the one after that if he stays.

2 hours ago, DonAntonio said:

You actually believe he puts out one of luiz azpi or our league winning captain? Add to that we will bring in a CB and we are aiming for a top CB, like I said garry isn't quite good enough but if you think we will get no one when CB is our top priority save us losing Diego and Christensen is going to start over that new signing or over our current captain, best defender we have or best CB we have and one of the best in the league with a near flawless season based on a mediocre season at gladbach you're dreaming, hence the bold statement, it's never going to happen and it's daft to think otherwise. Christensen is good but not quite ready to start maybe next year most likely the one after that if he stays.

Firstly I don't believe there is much differece between a 'mediocre' season at Gladbach compared with a 'mediocre' season at Southampton.

Secondly Christensen himself hasn't had a individually mediocre season he has been largely praised as one of the best defenders in the Bundesliga, there is a reason gladbach want to keep him for a club record fee and why he has been linked with Barca during the year. 

Now on to the point of whether he can start for Chelsea and obviously this depends on who we sign as if we were to sign a top CB it would be a lot more unlikely, (I wouldn't call VVD a top CB though although he would likely start the season ahead of Christensen in the pecking order if he were to be signed),  in which case it would probably make more sense to loan him to a team like Everton or Southampton then keep him as 5th choice.

I also don't believe CB should be our top priority, (we are likely to have to loan one of Ake, Zouma and Christensen next season all of which a very decent rotation options let alone back up), we also have more pressing positions that need much more strengthening than CB, we should be looking for a striker, a midfielder, a couple of wing backs and a Sanchez calibre forward before we even consider upgrading the CB position.

But for now just considering the current composition of the Squad, as the rest is purely speculation. If we were to bring back Christensen he would be 4th choice CB and I already believe he is as capable as VVD (VVD's slightly better in the air, Christensen slightly more composed and less likely to switch off/make a bad tackle) and only slightly behind Cahill, (both VVD and Christensen are better on the ball, but Cahill has been a real goal scoring threat and shown resilience and leadership throughout the year which puts him ahead of both). 

During the season Christensen will get the opportunity to show what he can do in training and in the cups as well as continue to develop under Conte (which could do wonders), and I believe by the end of the season Christensen will be a better all round CB than Cahill and will have taken his place through merit.

I also think, if we don't pick up a top RWB we will see Azpi played there more often especially against the top sides or physically dominant sides and this will open up a starting spot for Christensen. I think we would eventually see Azpi as our starting RWB (something Conte has recently been looking at) and Christensen starting in the vacant CB spot.

Again this is all subject to who we sign as if we sign a top CB I don't see him getting much game time but whilst we haven't I believe such a bold statement warrants a little bit of light hearted fun.

14 minutes ago, PedroMendez said:

Firstly I don't believe there is much differece between a 'mediocre' season at Gladbach compared with a 'mediocre' season at Southampton.

Secondly Christensen himself hasn't had a individually mediocre season he has been largely praised as one of the best defenders in the Bundesliga, there is a reason gladbach want to keep him for a club record fee and why he has been linked with Barca during the year. 

Now on to the point of whether he can start for Chelsea and obviously this depends on who we sign as if we were to sign a top CB it would be a lot more unlikely, (I wouldn't call VVD a top CB though although he would likely start the season ahead of Christensen in the pecking order if he were to be signed),  in which case it would probably make more sense to loan him to a team like Everton or Southampton then keep him as 5th choice.

I also don't believe CB should be our top priority, (we are likely to have to loan one of Ake, Zouma and Christensen next season all of which a very decent rotation options let alone back up), we also have more pressing positions that need much more strengthening than CB, we should be looking for a striker, a midfielder, a couple of wing backs and a Sanchez calibre forward before we even consider upgrading the CB position.

But for now just considering the current composition of the Squad, as the rest is purely speculation. If we were to bring back Christensen he would be 4th choice CB and I already believe he is as capable as VVD (VVD's slightly better in the air, Christensen slightly more composed and less likely to switch off/make a bad tackle) and only slightly behind Cahill, (both VVD and Christensen are better on the ball, but Cahill has been a real goal scoring threat and shown resilience and leadership throughout the year which puts him ahead of both). 

During the season Christensen will get the opportunity to show what he can do in training and in the cups as well as continue to develop under Conte (which could do wonders), and I believe by the end of the season Christensen will be a better all round CB than Cahill and will have taken his place through merit.

I also think, if we don't pick up a top RWB we will see Azpi played there more often especially against the top sides or physically dominant sides and this will open up a starting spot for Christensen. I think we would eventually see Azpi as our starting RWB (something Conte has recently been looking at) and Christensen starting in the vacant CB spot.

Again this is all subject to who we sign as if we sign a top CB I don't see him getting much game time but whilst we haven't I believe such a bold statement warrants a little bit of light hearted fun.

Thank you. Did not want to waste my time explaining it.

1 hour ago, PedroMendez said:

Taking into account we play with a back 3, can you clarify why you think Christensen would be "5th choice"?

In my view Christensen will be 2nd choice to Azpi at rcb, and 2nd/3rd choice to Luiz in the centre. VVD (or Ake) will compete with Cahill at lcb (or 2nd choice to Luiz)

Perhaps it's worth mentioning Conte's Juve had two international reserve CBs in addition to Barzagli, Bonucci, Chiellini? :wink:

Edited by the special one

36 minutes ago, PedroMendez said:

A lot of what you said makes sense except VVD has had a far from mediocre season take a look at his stats I also believe he is head and shoulders above Christensen at this point I time, we have been told cb is contes top priority fur a reason one of which other than using a rb at cb is Gary isnt good enough and can't play out well meaning we get pushed to a back 5 against a high press team if we could play out the eingbacks could push forward and wouldn't get pinned back, people don't realise in this system how important it is to be able to play out movethe ball around and keep composure to free your wb's we destroyed teams early because they pushed up, once trans figured out they could fluster us with pressing we were t looking nearly as good, other positions I agree with, cm very important I also was calling out for wbs but a cb gives us a rwb in Dave and I really have seen great improvement in alonso only thing is his pace, I think a combo of him and Dave do not offer much attacking threat so wouldn't mind Dave staying put although I don't like him out of position because I just think a very attacking wb would make a big difference, we will see but there is a very good reason conte is after a top ball playing cb and as stated I don't think Christensen is ready yet 

11 minutes ago, PedroMendez said:

I think we would eventually see Azpi as our starting RWB (something Conte has recently been looking at)

No, that's never going to happen and neither should it. Azpi has only been used at RWB towards the end of games when we're trying to close out the win. Why? Because he's fantastic defensively. I thought it's been well established by now that Azpi isn't that good going forward?

4 minutes ago, the special one said:

Taking into account we play with a back 3, can you clarify why you think Christensen would be "5th choice"?

In my view Christensen will be 2nd choice to Azpi at rcb, and 2nd/3rd choice in the centre. VVD (or Ake) will compete with Cahill at lcb (or be 2nd choice in the centre)

Perhaps worth mentioning Conte at Juve had two international reserve CBs in addition to Barzagli, Bonucci, Chiellini? :wink:

5th best CB in the squad, since we don't know who the top CB we would be signing is, I thought this would be the easiest representation. 

I also think that since both RCB and LCB are very similar roles and whilst being left footed helps the LCB role I don't think it essential, as Cahill has shown, that Christensen would be ahead of both Ake a Zouma for each position. As much as i like Zouma I unfortunately don't think he suits either of the roles in this Conte back 3.

If VVD were signed I would say Christensen would be better in the Luiz role and VVD better at RCB and LCB roles, to begin with anyway eventually Christensen will be better in all three positions as he has a much higher ceiling imo and I can see this be as soon as the end of next season hence not being overly keen on getting VVD in.

I then think that Ake makes a very dependable 2nd string defender who can cover all 3 CB positions therefore I believe if we were to have another top class CB or VVD ahead of him allowing Christensen to further his development with 40+ appearances at a team like Everton or Southampton (might make a useful make weight for VVD), rather than the 15 to 20 or so appearances he would get here starting as the 5th best CB in the squad and demoting Ake to even less appearances, would be a better option for both. 

6 minutes ago, Barrettinator said:

No, that's never going to happen and neither should it. Azpi has only been used at RWB towards the end of games when we're trying to close out the win. Why? Because he's fantastic defensively. I thought it's been well established by now that Azpi isn't that good going forward?

This is if we don't sign a RWB, which I hope we do.

I think Moses while performing very well this season is quite limited and isn't actually that much better than Azpi when it comes to end product going forward and therefore Azpi being so good defensively will add to that position, although it may well upset the balance Alonso and Moses have provided to the team so whether this will actually improve the team is uncertain.

Hopefully we don't have to be put into this position though by signing a more complete RWB. 

39 minutes ago, PedroMendez said:

5th best CB in the squad, since we don't know who the top CB we would be signing is, I thought this would be the easiest representation. 

I also think that since both RCB and LCB are very similar roles and whilst being left footed helps the LCB role I don't think it essential, as Cahill has shown, that Christensen would be ahead of both Ake a Zouma for each position. As much as i like Zouma I unfortunately don't think he suits either of the roles in this Conte back 3.

If VVD were signed I would say Christensen would be better in the Luiz role and VVD better at RCB and LCB roles, to begin with anyway eventually Christensen will be better in all three positions as he has a much higher ceiling imo and I can see this be as soon as the end of next season hence not being overly keen on getting VVD in.

I then think that Ake makes a very dependable 2nd string defender who can cover all 3 CB positions therefore I believe if we were to have another top class CB or VVD ahead of him allowing Christensen to further his development with 40+ appearances at a team like Everton or Southampton (might make a useful make weight for VVD), rather than the 15 to 20 or so appearances he would get here starting as the 5th best CB in the squad and demoting Ake to even less appearances, would be a better option for both. 

Fair enough, for me it takes a particular "type" of CB to make the back 3 work and I don't think Christensen would make a top LCB personally - but I do respect your point of view. From a performance/statistical perspective van Dijk looks a clone of Chiellini in my view so I'm obviously biased (not to mention VVD's average goal return to date is marginally better (+EV) than JT and Cahill at the same stage of their careers, hence his 50m+ market value).

I guess we'll have to beg to differ.

Unless he throws a hissy fit (in which case he can f**k off) just to be clear I want Christensen to be with us next season, I don't disagree about his potential (at RCB/CB that is). For me it's Ake I have doubts about - in my view he doesn't have enough games under his belt/or have a comparable goal return yet to justify being rotated with Cahill next season, or to eventually replace Cahill (would be happy for Ake to be backup to Luiz, van Dijk, Cahill however unlikely a scenario that is)

On 5/19/2017 at 12:08, the special one said:

Christensen isn't a left sided CB, van Dijk is? As someone said yesterday (Barrettinator?) there's a scenario where we could have both next season...

Azpi/Christensen - Luiz/Ake/De Rossi?? - van Dijk??/Cahill/Ake

Fwiw van Dijk reminds me of Chiellini, and his goal scoring record suggests we'd be mugs not to sign him. If we need to sell Ake so be it imho.

Im all for having VVD in our team (despite me feeling his price tag is way too much), but to sell Ake would be stupid. He's the most versatile player we have and can play in multiple positions all over the pitch.

Ideally I'd be happy to see Christensen and VVD both be 2 of the 3 starting CB's with Ake getting odd games here and there.

Edit: Just had a thought, what do you think are the chances of Luiz moving into a midfield position? We've seen that he can excel there when he played there for a bit before we sold him to PSG. He has great passing ability and has pin point long range balls, he'd also be more of a physical presence than Matic (he looks like he's on the way out too) and it would mean that we have a back 3 of Christensen, Cahill and VVD. And from the Verrati thread where people seem to think that a midfield 2 of Kante-Verrati wouldn't be much of a physical presence, Luiz and kante definitely would and we'd be saving about 60m.

Edited by JJP

24 minutes ago, JJP said:

Im all for having VVD in our team (despite me feeling his price tag is way too much), but to sell Ake would be stupid. He's the most versatile player we have and can play in multiple positions all over the pitch.

Ideally I'd be happy to see Christensen and VVD both be 2 of the 3 starting CB's with Ake getting odd games here and there.

Edit: Just had a thought, what do you think are the chances of Luiz moving into a midfield position? We've seen that he can excel there when he played there for a bit before we sold him to PSG. He has great passing ability and has pin point long range balls, he'd also be more of a physical presence than Matic (he looks like he's on the way out too) and it would mean that we have a back 3 of Christensen, Cahill and VVD. And from the Verrati thread where people seem to think that a midfield 2 of Kante-Verrati wouldn't be much of a physical presence, Luiz and kante definitely would and we'd be saving about 60m.

Luiz is too slow to play the ball winning role in Conte's 3-4-3 imo. To add more physical presence in midfield (if we sign Verratti) if it was my choice I'd sign De Rossi (who is available on a free this summer), so potentially a midfield 3 when we need to dominate possession (3-5-2);

De Rossi - Matic
       Verratti (or Fabregas)

Or a midfield 2 with a high defensive line (3-4-3);

Kante/De Rossi - Verratti/Matic

Re Ake - as I said in my previous post I'd be happy to have him as backup for Luiz, Cahill and van Dijk, but in my view if Bournemouth (or anyone) is happy to shell out 25m for him and we sign van Dijk it's a no brainer for me - we'd essentially be selling a player with lower potential than van Dijk (again, just my opinion) while buying an experienced rotation option/future replacement for Cahill for ~20m+ net spend? Sign De Rossi on a free to cover CM and CB (we also have Alonso who can cover for van Dijk/Cahill at LCB if necessary) and for me it's a simple decision to let Ake go.

1 minute ago, the special one said:

Luiz is too slow to play the ball winning role in Conte's 3-4-3 imo. To add more physical presence in midfield (if we sign Verratti) if it was my choice I'd sign De Rossi (who is available on a free this summer), so potentially a midfield 3 when we need to dominate possession (3-5-2);

Matic - De Rossi
       Verratti (or Fabregas)

Or a midfield 2 with a high defensive line (to counter long balls into midfield) (3-4-3);

Kante - Verratti/Matic

Re Ake - as I said in my previous post I'd be happy to have him as backup for Luiz, Cahill and van Dijk, but in my view if Bournemouth (or anyone) is happy to shell out 25m for him and we sign van Dijk it's a no brainer for me - we'd essentially be selling a player with lower potential than van Dijk (again, just my opinion) while buying an experienced rotation option/future replacement for Cahill for ~20m+ net spend? Sign De Rossi on a free to cover CM and CB (we also have Alonso who can cover for van Dijk/Cahill at LCB if necessary) and for me it's a simple decision to let him go.

Surely Luiz isn't any slower than Matic is? I mean thinking about it, Luiz is pretty much better than Matic in every way so i don't see why he wouldn't be an upgrade on Matic in that position. While I do think De Rossi is a good player, he is really nothing in comparison to how he was a few seasons ago, he wouldn't be worth getting imo.

Ake is great for a backup atm, but I'll have to disagree that he doesn't have as much potential as VVD. Ake could be another player like Gullit and thats really saying something. Id be happier to let go of Zouma at this point and keep Ake instead. We need versatile players like him that can fill many different positions

40 minutes ago, JJP said:

Surely Luiz isn't any slower than Matic is? I mean thinking about it, Luiz is pretty much better than Matic in every way so i don't see why he wouldn't be an upgrade on Matic in that position. While I do think De Rossi is a good player, he is really nothing in comparison to how he was a few seasons ago, he wouldn't be worth getting imo.

Ake is great for a backup atm, but I'll have to disagree that he doesn't have as much potential as VVD. Ake could be another player like Gullit and thats really saying something. Id be happier to let go of Zouma at this point and keep Ake instead. We need versatile players like him that can fill many different positions

Yeah, well, that's just your opinion, man. :tongue: For me Matic's contribution this season is underrated (look at his defensive squawka stats, blocks, 60% won aerial duels, possession retention etc).

I agree De Rossi isn't the same player he used to be but his defensive stats are actually better than Matic's this season - and freeeee - De Rossi can cover for Matic and Luiz (at CB) so I'd suggest we don't need Ake's "jack of all trades versatility". We'll just have to agree to disagree about Ake's potential - so you'd pass by the opportunity to sign a top player today at the risk of having a top player in 4/5 years? That essentially describes Christensen's situation - to have two young CBs with potential is a risk not worth taking imo (we can buy Ake back when his performances over 2/3 years suggest he's worth having). I'll agree Ake is a good LCB for Conte's back 3 in a positional sense, but the other areas of his game are not on VVD's level imo (height, goal average, defensive blocks, won aerial duels etc)

Again if up to me I'd let Zouma go to Marseille, buy van Dijk and sell Ake to Bournemouth.

(and just because he shares the same hair as Gullit, doesn't mean he'll be anywhere near as good lol)

1 hour ago, the special one said:

I'll agree Ake is a good LCB for Conte's back 3 in a positional sense, but the other areas of his game are not on VVD's level imo (height, goal average, defensive blocks, won aerial duels etc)

You do realise Ake has more premier league goals this season than VVD in less minutes, and the same amount of BPL goals in total again in far less mintes...

Edited by PedroMendez

Ideally I would like to see us have five good CB options, with Alonso/Ghoulam as sixth LCB option in a crisis. I'm fine with Zouma leaving and selling Ake for 20m-25m, if that means we buy VVD and Christensen accepts beeing one of the five CBs. 

23 minutes ago, PedroMendez said:

You do realise Ake has more premier league goals this season than VVD in less minutes, and the same amount of BPL goals in total again in far less mintes...

Yes he's scored 3 goals this season so it does suggest he has potential to be a goal scoring CB - but how many goals have his mistakes led to (due to lack of height, positional inexperience, etc)?

Watford v Janmaat (-1), Spurs v Kane (-1) (and that's just at Chelsea)?

When his EV contribution over 3 or 4 seasons has a positive impact on goal difference I'll be happy for Ake to replace Cahill, until that happens however for me van Dijk is a safer bet.

7 minutes ago, the special one said:

Yes he's scored 3 goals this season so it does suggest he has potential to be a goal scoring CB - but how many goals have his mistakes led to (due to lack of height, positional inexperience, etc)?

When his EV contribution over 3 or 4 seasons has a positive impact on goal difference I'll be happy for Ake to replace Cahill, until that happens however for me van Dijk is a safer bet.

Ake is left footed, can dijk isn't. I feel more comfortable with ake in that position on the left than van dijk. 

Bit harsh to blame him for the Kane goal as well. That was a world class goal.

9 minutes ago, benjsross said:

Ake is left footed, can dijk isn't. I feel more comfortable with ake in that position on the left than van dijk. 

Bit harsh to blame him for the Kane goal as well. That was a world class goal.

Okay I'm happy to accept Ake's left foot could be beneficial (Chiellini is left footed too), but considering van Dijk plays at LCB for Southampton is that enough to outweigh the remaining disadvantages (the lack of height, the inexperience etc)

And yes Kane's goal was world class. A world class CB blocks it :tongue:

14 minutes ago, the special one said:

Yeah I am not saying that Ake is as good or that he would contribute more to the team. VVD is on another level to Ake, you just mentioned VVD's goal return being a reason why wehe would be better than Ake and his goal return isn't something I would consider a strong point of his, 4 goals in 55 games isn't anything special and clearly isn't something he is stronger at than Ake.

14 hours ago, PedroMendez said:

This is if we don't sign a RWB, which I hope we do.

I think Moses while performing very well this season is quite limited and isn't actually that much better than Azpi when it comes to end product going forward and therefore Azpi being so good defensively will add to that position, although it may well upset the balance Alonso and Moses have provided to the team so whether this will actually improve the team is uncertain.

Hopefully we don't have to be put into this position though by signing a more complete RWB. 

Oh Moses brings so much more to the table at RWB offensively than Azpi ever could. The way he goes directly at opposing full backs, the off the ball runs, the timed passes in that rhombus with Pedro, Kante and Azpi, etc. Azpi's first instincts aren't to do those things. He's not a natural winger like Moses. That said, I hope we go for another RWB. One that's better than Moses.

Really hope we sign VVD, we can argue as much as we like whether we should give Christensen a chance or sign VVD but the bottom line is he would improve each and every one of our competitors. Would hate the thought of him joining Liverpool or City as he is exactly the kind of player they need. If we get the opportunity to sign him we absolutely should and incorporate him into the team because we will have plenty of games next season to alternate between players.

On 21/05/2017 at 09:08, Barrettinator said:

Interesting take on it, pretty sure towards the end of the season as Azpi was pushed further up field he's got more goals and assists in the last few games than a long time beforehand. I'd be interested to see exact figures, but to say he's not that good going forward when he played most of his time in a four at left back is a bit of a stretch. 

Oh and not forgetting our current RWB's final ball 'isn't that good. Aka, Moses couldn't cross the road.