Sp*rs v. CFC match thread -- 19 March

MannyJello

here we go -- the beginning of the end. you have the feeling that this match kicks off the last chapter of the season for us, as they are all must wins from here on out.

no injury problems aside from Cech, who is reported as a possible.

-------------------Cech

----Ferreira----Terry---Carv-----A.Cole

------------------Makalele

-----------Lampard--------Ballack

----J.Cole-----------------------Malouda

-------------------Drogba

subs: Carlo, Alex, Essien, Sheva, Kalou

(i don't believe Malouda rates a place out there, but for some reason, Avram is in love with the lad and will start him i believe)

Two matches in 5 days to make or break our season.

We could wake up on Easter Monday top of the table or 9 points behind Utd icon_eek.gif

I suspect we will play Cole at left back as Bridge didn't cope too well with Lennon when he was switched at Wembley. Probably Ferreira at right back - but he has had his problems with Lennon too - remember he was subbed in the first half last season. But Belletti was shocking at Wembley as well.

That aside, we should be good enough to win.

Drogba needs to play up front and not be rotated in and out, otherwise he will never get any rhythm back.

The old nerves are starting to jangle and the game isn't live on sky tomorrow either.

here we go -- the beginning of the end. you have the feeling that this match kicks off the last chapter of the season for us, as they are all must wins from here on out.

-------------------Cech

(i don't believe Malouda rates a place out there, but for some reason, Avram is in love with the lad and will start him i believe)

I honestly don't think Grant could be daft enough to start with Malouda in such an important match. We need 11 players who will give everything tomorrow night and at least atone for that CC final performance.

I would go for that line up but with Kalou in for Malouda (who wouldn't even merit a place on the bench). My only other thought is perhaps playing Essien at Right Back, but if not, I too would go for Paulo.

For the love that is all holy and graceful... give me a f*****g win against these Spuds scum!!!!

32.gif

yay.gif Gem - I'm sorry, that sentence - the words "holy" and "graceful" - I'm just pissing myself laughing.

No offence intended. happy0034.gif

I honestly don't think Grant could be daft enough to start with Malouda in such an important match. We need 11 players who will give everything tomorrow night and at least atone for that CC final performance.

i honestly didn't think Roman was daft enough to have installed Grant as manager but there you go.

I honestly don't think we have seen the worst of Grant's daftness yet this season.

i honestly didn't think Roman was daft enough to have installed Grant as manager but there you go.

I honestly don't think we have seen the worst of Grant's daftness yet this season.

What a terrifying thought icon_eek.gif

-------------------Cech

I would go for that line up but with Kalou in for Malouda (who wouldn't even merit a place on the bench). My only other thought is perhaps playing Essien at Right Back, but if not, I too would go for Paulo.

My thoughts exactly. Another reasonable possibility is to play Anelka instead of Malouda centrally, but for me I'd start with Kalou and if Drogba isn't doing the business at the 50 minute mark then I'd move him on.

Notwithstanding its an away game I'd be tempted to save Maka for the Arse game and play either mikel or essien.

What a terrifying thought icon_eek.gif

agreed, Murdoch, but this is how i reached this conclusion. there are 3 possibilities:

1. Grant will make nothing but wonderful tactical and substitution decisions, and will also strike all the right chords when it comes to dealing with the match officials, UEFA, the FA and the media from now until the end of May.

2. Grant will continue making the occasional half-@ssed manuever tactically and with regards to substitutions, but will also be saved by the fact that we have world-class players who can often overcome his ineptitude, and will continue to appear just about utterly clueless when it comes to dealing with match officials, UEFA, the FA and the media between now and the end of May.

3. Grant will continue making the occasional half-@ssed manuever tactically and with regards to substitutions, and will continue to appear just about utterly clueless when it comes to dealing with match officials, UEFA, the FA and the media -- BUT will also make an additional blunder or two that could be seen as costing us a chance to win a key match between now and the end of May.

pray as i might that #1 might come to fruition, it is only the most deluded supporter who will not admit that #3 is the most likely.

Luckily, if we stick with the 4-3-3, the majority of the team picks itself, taking Grant somewhat out of the equation.

Cech, if fit, is obviously first choice goalkeeper.

Ferreira/Carvalho/JT/Cole is set in stone as our best back four (as much as the Bridge fans out there will tell you otherwise)

Lamps and Ballack are undroppable in central midfield.

Joe Cole is far and away the best quality wide player we have.

So it is only really three choices that Grant has to make:

1. Drogba or Anelka up front

2. Who to play as a deep midfielder behind Lamps and Ballack - Maka, Mikel or Essien.

3. Which of our underperforming wide men to pick - Kalou, SWP or Malouda.

My opinion on these three selections is:

1. Drogba is quality, and the more game time he gets, the more he will rediscover his pre-ACN form. When he does, he will be unstoppable. Anelka is good backup, but no more than that.

2. As much as I would love to see Essien in the side, screening the defence is not what he is best at, so I think it is a choice between Maka and Mikel.

I think that despite his age, Maka is still streets ahead of Mikel - so if fully fit, he should play. Unfortunately, by the sounds of things, Maka would struggle to back up for the weekend, so Mikel should start against Spurs, with Maka to come in for the Arse match.

3. Malouda is a long way short of anything resembling form, so it should be a choice between SWP and Kalou. Kalou gets the nod for me, as he keeps the ball a bit better, is better in the air, and is a bit more likely to find the back of the net than Shaun.

----------------Carlo/Cech-----------------

Paulo--------Terry------Carvalho---------Cole

------------------Mikel------------------------

------Lampard------ Essien------Ballack---------

------------Kalou-------------------------------

-----------------------Drogba-------------------

Bench

Carlo/Hilario

Maka

Joe Cole

Kalou

2-0 victory

Anelka

I would play....

......................Carlo

Ferreira......Carvalho......Terry......Cole

......................Essien

..............Lamps.......Ballack

.................Anelka.................Joey

.......................Drogba

This formation requires Anelka to play of Drogba's shoulder and Joey dropping from the left. Drogs basically patrols the back line, harassing the defenders, while Nic goes deep and gives Zokora and Jenas hell. This formation has an added advantage of switching to a 4-4-2 with Essien going RW and Joey sticking to the left side and Nic/Drogba upfront alongside each other.

Subs

Hilario

Alex

Maka

Mikel

Kalou

If I was selecting the elevel there would be three players who wouldn't be anywhere near my starting eleven. Two based on form (Malouda and Essien) and one based on suitability (Belletti).

To be honest it is also hard to pick the striker to play as both Anelka and Drogba have looked decidedly second rate for a considerable time now. I would go with Drogba as he has proved himself on many occasions to be suited to our formation.

I would play....

This formation requires Anelka to play of Drogba's shoulder and Joey dropping from the left. Drogs basically patrols the back line, harassing the defenders, while Nic goes deep and gives Zokora and Jenas hell. This formation has an added advantage of switching to a 4-4-2 with Essien going RW and Joey sticking to the left side and Nic/Drogba upfront alongside each other.

Subs

Hilario

Alex

Maka

Mikel

Kalou

I like your idea of the formation but I just don't see Grant going for it. Drogs can pretty much play anywhere on the pitch but I'm not sure Anelka can. He might be good as a shadow striker but should we experiment it in this game..

We would really need Essien at his best now but we are not going to see it sadly. His midfield presence and fast runs would do harm to spuds but now we have to play Maka in these two games, I don't see an option here.

Ballack and Lampard are the key in these games for us. If they deliver, we will win.

Unfortunately evissy you are right. Grant has never been good at flexibility and experimentation. However, if you are concerned about Nic not being able to do the shadow striker role, then put Kalou or better yet, Joey cole. Yes thats it, put Cole as the shadow striker and use Kalou on the wing. Chimbonda/Hutton, neither of them are decent defenders so his speed and trickery should get us many a free kick in that area.

For the love that is all holy and graceful... give me a f*****g win against these Spuds scum!!!!

COME ON CHELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Indeed, we HAVE to win this game:

Cech (if fit)

A.Cole

JT

Riccy C

Paulo

Maka

Ballack

Lampard

Joe Cole

Drogba

Kalou

Subs: Carlo, Alex, Mikel, SWP, Anelka

Score: 2-1 Chelsea

Makelele will play either this game, or the Arse on Sunday. Definately not both. With that in mind I'd start Mikel this game, and Makelele on Sunday.

Maka aside, don't rest anyone. After Sunday there is an 8 day break before the next game against Boro to recover. Maybe look to get Essien on early for Ballack and Anelka for Drogba if possible. The only other difference I'd look at between this game and Sunday is the fullbacks. I'd play Cole and Ferreira against Spurs for their defensive ability against Lennon, but play Belletti and Bridge on Sunday for their better crossing ability as I think Gallas and Toure will struggle in the air against Drogba:

Cech
Ferreira Carvalho Terry Cole
	Mikel
 Lampard  Ballack
Cole			 Kalou
 Drogba

I would play....

That would be a recipe for disaster. Lennon and Keane would have field day if we play that narrow.

Luckily, if we stick with the 4-3-3, the majority of the team picks itself, taking Grant somewhat out of the equation.

Cech, if fit, is obviously first choice goalkeeper.

Ferreira/Carvalho/JT/Cole is set in stone as our best back four (as much as the Bridge fans out there will tell you otherwise)

Lamps and Ballack are undroppable in central midfield.

Joe Cole is far and away the best quality wide player we have.

So it is only really three choices that Grant has to make:

1. Drogba or Anelka up front

2. Who to play as a deep midfielder behind Lamps and Ballack - Maka, Mikel or Essien.

3. Which of our underperforming wide men to pick - Kalou, SWP or Malouda.

My opinion on these three selections is:

1. Drogba is quality, and the more game time he gets, the more he will rediscover his pre-ACN form. When he does, he will be unstoppable. Anelka is good backup, but no more than that.

2. As much as I would love to see Essien in the side, screening the defence is not what he is best at, so I think it is a choice between Maka and Mikel.

I think that despite his age, Maka is still streets ahead of Mikel - so if fully fit, he should play. Unfortunately, by the sounds of things, Maka would struggle to back up for the weekend, so Mikel should start against Spurs, with Maka to come in for the Arse match.

3. Malouda is a long way short of anything resembling form, so it should be a choice between SWP and Kalou. Kalou gets the nod for me, as he keeps the ball a bit better, is better in the air, and is a bit more likely to find the back of the net than Shaun.

Great summary. I would agree with your choices in the "difficult" selection areas and the team overall.

Was just going to say the same thing - Tom gets it spot on for me. If we line up with that team and that formation tonight (the one that shoudlve started at Wembley!) we should be fine.

Lets wait and see...

Drogba and Anelka have been nothing but poor recently so heres a thought...

Would Sheva be any worse? icon_rolleyes.gif At the very least we know he will work his socks off and he did look promising before he got injured, it's just a nagging thought I have in the back of my mind that won't go away icon_lol.gif

COME ON CHELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Indeed, we HAVE to win this game:

Cech (if fit)

A.Cole

JT

Riccy C

Paulo

Maka

Ballack

Lampard

Joe Cole

Drogba

Kalou

Subs: Carlo, Alex, Mikel, SWP, Anelka

Score: 2-1 Chelsea

Alan,we dont have too.

we MUST win this game icon_wink.gif

Drogba and Anelka have been nothing but poor recently so heres a thought...

Would Sheva be any worse? icon_rolleyes.gif At the very least we know he will work his socks off and he did look promising before he got injured, it's just a nagging thought I have in the back of my mind that won't go away icon_lol.gif

And he likes Spurs icon_wink.gif

Archived